High fat diet = low cholesterol and triglycerides??

Options
With like 40% of my calories coming from fats, I expected to get blood test results showing high "bad" cholesterol and triglycerides.

Instead my results were 137 cholesterol and 102 triglycerides, both well below abnormally high.

I guess it seemed counter intuitive to me and I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences. Thanks =)

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Thant's pretty common. Carbs cause triglycerides to usually go up, and HDL to come down. Eating low carb will lower triglycerides and raise HDL (usually).

LDL may go up a bit on a high fat low carb diet, but it is generally the fluffier and more desirable LDL that increases. Lipoprotein a will usually drop too.

Generally speaking, carbs are bad for cholesterol and fats are good.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I dunno, I eat a high carb diet and my cholesterol has come down since I lost weight. The only time it goes up is when I eat a lot of fast food. And by a lot, meaning I eat it for two meals a day for a couple of weeks. My numbers were apparently tied to my weight and nothing else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will usually lower triglycerides and LDL regardless of diet composition.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Thant's pretty common. Carbs cause triglycerides to usually go up, and HDL to come down. Eating low carb will lower triglycerides and raise HDL (usually).

LDL may go up a bit on a high fat low carb diet, but it is generally the fluffier and more desirable LDL that increases. Lipoprotein a will usually drop too.

Wow..I'm learning so much these days.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    AspenDan wrote: »

I wouldn't take all that as fact wihtout reading up on the subject from a reliable source. Some carbs have been shown to lower cholesterol in repeated studies. Fiber is a carb.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the single best thing for an overweight or obese person to do to improve cholesterol levels. In many cases it can reverse insulin resistance which is one of the major causes of bad triglyceride and cholesterol levels.

Lower levels of saturated fat can help those whose cholesterol is bad in the absence of other factors of metabolic syndrome, but in those whose cholesterol is bad as a secondary result of other issues, solving those other issues is likely more effective.

It's like salt for hypertension. Yes, cutting back on sodium can help, but weight loss and cardiovascular improvements via exercise can be more effective if you're overweight and sedentary.
  • AspenDan
    edited November 2015
    Options

I wouldn't take all that as fact wihtout reading up on the subject from a reliable source. Some carbs have been shown to lower cholesterol in repeated studies. Fiber is a carb.

Interesting...well I take everything with a grain of salt, but I generally appreciate the conversation regardless.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Interesting...well I take everything with a grain of salt, but I generally appreciate the conversation regardless.

Wise man. Congrats on lowering your cholesterol numbers.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Eating at a calorie deficit will usually lower triglycerides and LDL regardless of diet composition.

This. I was just speaking to my doctor about this. Oatmeal and other fibrous carbs can lower cholesterol, but the best way is through caloric deficit, healthy eating, and genetics not predisposed to high cholesterol. That last one is really hard to control or change, I mean, seriously, any idea how hard it is to change your genetics? It's practically impossible (lol)
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I had blood work done a couple of months ago, after losing about 20 pounds or so, and I expected my numbers to be better than before. Nope. They were worse. Triglycerides were ok, but LDL was higher and HDL unimproved.

Doctor said he wasn't too concerned because weight loss can mess with your numbers, but he asked about my diet. I told him I was restricting carbs (>15%; mostly from fruit), and he said that was too low and that I needed to add in some whole grain.

I took his advice and have adjust to about 30% carbs, about half from whole grain. We'll see in a few months if his advice works.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2015
    Options

The only study that I have seen posted by several had carbs at 72% or so. The only others studies that even more promote that are done on diabetics or others with medical issues. And unless you are following the 80/10/10 diet, the average person won't have carbs that high.

OP, weight loss generally will cause your cholesterol to decrease, regardless of which diet you follow. Mine has consistently improved with my moderate carb (45-50% of my calories) diet. I know others who have lost a lot of weight on LCHF but have cholesterol numbers have doubled.

Other big drivers are obesity and genetics. For me, HDL and LDL never change even when I was 50 lbs heavier. I thank my parents because my numbers align to both of theirs (mom is normal weight, dad is 60 lbs over weight).

In the end, if you have an approach that is helping you lose weight and improve your blood work, keep doing it.

• AspenDan
    Options

I took his advice and have adjust to about 30% carbs, about half from whole grain. We'll see in a few months if his advice works.

Nice! GL
    seriously, any idea how hard it is to change your genetics? It's practically impossible (lol)

Lol! If it were possible, I'd probably be growing a full beard by now but alas, genetics are a b*tch =P
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I found eating lower carb while also losing weight caused my numbers to go in the "bad" direction after a year. So it seems like, as with most things, it depends on the person.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,398 MFP Moderator
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    I found eating lower carb while also losing weight caused my numbers to go in the "bad" direction after a year. So it seems like, as with most things, it depends on the person.

I am so glad you showed up. You were exactly who I was talking about in my post.
  • AspenDan
    Options

Wow! Lol, maybe I lucked out with genetics..I didn't have blood tested for that prior to losing 70+ lbs..so I missed out on some cool science =(
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

I am so glad you showed up. You were exactly who I was talking about in my post.

Since I'm not in any other "risk" categories, I figured it was worth the experiment to try. But clearly it's a disaster for me. Most people in my family when they were my age obese or not had cholesterol levels too high to count (like readings in the 500-700s) so, I'm doing better than the other people I share genes with. But it's simply not worth the additional risk! I'm back to oatmeal every morning and high fiber complex carbs at most meals :)
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

This has been the case for me. I focused on eating less/calorie deficit but didn't change the kinds of food I ate, and as the weight loss happened my blood work improved quite a bit. Now I'm in maintenance and still eat all the foods I like, and I still have great blood work panels (last month's gave me a new HDL high at 69/LDL 97 and blood work I had done this past spring put my triglycerides in the 40s). For me, weight has a direct correlation with my numbers and not the types of foods/macros break down I'm eating per se.
  • taco_inspector
    taco_inspector Posts: 7,223 Member
    Options
    Dan, sometime in early February this year the news sources should'a carried a story about how the science stuff would finally be creeping back into the US Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee's recommendations concerning consumption of cholesterol and how (for most people) there is not much of a direct link between dietary cholesterol and blood levels. Basically, this will realign the US views on eating fats and bring stuff back to where the science has been for so long.

Google should be your friend on finding proper sources with good citation to studies and summaries, but I remember this finally hitting media at the beginning of February this year.
  • AspenDan
    Options
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    (last month's gave me a new HDL high at 69/LDL 97 and blood work I had done this past spring put my triglycerides in the 40s)...

Lol nice numbers! There's some diet goals imo, haha
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    (last month's gave me a new HDL high at 69/LDL 97 and blood work I had done this past spring put my triglycerides in the 40s)...

Lol nice numbers! There's some diet goals imo, haha

The biggie for me is my glucose number-when I started this whole thing back in 2012 I was labeled a pre-diabetic. Now I'm consistently seeing glucose numbers in the 80s :) I've lost a couple relatives to type 2, so I'm pretty geeked about my numbers!