does anyone on here eat what they like but just count calories?

Options
Like candy,juice,fried foods?

Can you give me advice

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I do! I lost almost 70 pounds by just counting calories. Here's the thing though - you get a lot more bang for your buck if you fill those calories up with healthier food items. Yes, you can have french fries, but just know that for those 750 calories (or whatever) you could have had breakfast and lunch.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eating less than you burn is how you lose weight. Doesn't matter if it's from candy or salad.

Focus on nutritional foods first, because you still want to make sure you're fueling your body to work properly. Then work treats in as you can.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do. And there are lots of threads about it.

What advice do you want?

Can you make the number on the scale go down eating whatever you want? Probably.

Can you be your healthiest if you don't eat nutrient dense, whole foods? I'm gonna bet no.

Will maintenance be easy? Time will tell, but my gut bets no.

But yes, the number on scale can probably go down.

Now, given your OP, do you mean exclusively candy, juice, fried foods? Probably not.

Do you mean adding the foods you like into an otherwise balanced diet?
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have tried it, but found it much more difficult, not only because it doesn't fill you up but because I found it harder to log and also because I need to be in a "calorie counting framework" to actually lose weight, and when I eat lots of junk, I don't feel like I'm being careful, in which case I go over... I'm aware there will be haters out there who will say that its a way of life, need to eat some foods you enjoy or you will quit, but I know that personally eating cake and sweets etc will make me fall of bandwagon... Yes, I do occasionally, but not too often
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Me! :) Calorie deficit but quality of food does matter for energy and health, so I try to eat somewhat balanced. You can be sure to find some sort of chocolate, ice cream or other such delightful treats in my food diary daily though.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    I would say most of us do just that.

And before the inevitable strawman is trotted out, no one is suggesting that you make foods like those you listed the bulk of your diet, but it's perfectly acceptable to continue to eat them, in moderation, such that they fit your overall calorie and macro goals.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    no - because i like to eat dinner
    and i like to have a cookie at night

You can eat dinner and have some cookies and still lose weight.

• Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I haven't cut out any foods that I like-I've lost over 50lbs and have been in maintenance for over two years now. I've also improved my blood work and I'm in excellent health. I eat fast food 2-3 times a week, fried food, sweet stuff, salty stuff, drink alcohol and diet soda etc. I also eat lots of veggies, whole grains, a bit of fruit, eggs, fish etc. I eat all the food, just less of it :)

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Had all 3 of those listed yesterday... So, yea...
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @ sarajvz
    what is the secret to getting that hdl so high? impressive #
    do you ex a lot?

I don't exercise at all right now :p I go in phases with it (mostly walking), but I haven't done anything since the beginning of September when my schedule changed. My last blood work was taken two weeks ago, so exercise wasn't a factor.

I don't really know why my HDL is so high right now-that's the highest its ever been and I'm not eating anything special. Actually, since I've been so busy I've been eating a lot of frozen dinner type things. I have started drinking black tea, but I haven't heard of that affecting cholesterol numbers?

eta: did some quick googling and it does look like black tea can affect cholesterol numbers, but just LDL, not HDL.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes. I eat pretty much the same food I always did.
    I pre-log my food for the day. It helps me to see what fits my calorie goal best for the day.

I choose to eat my calories rather than drink them. I mostly drink water or unsweetened tea.
    Eat smaller portions of the higher calorie stuff. Pair it with more lower calorie food like vegetables to fill out your plate.

Make sure you are getting the food that meets your nutritional needs first- enough protein, several servings of vegetables or fruit a day- before using your calories up on low nutrition foods like candy.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    cheesyP wrote: »
    Like candy,juice,fried foods?

Can you give me advice

Advice about what?

Are you asking if you have to cut those things out to lose weight/be healthy? If so, of course not.

For losing weight, calories are what matters, but what you eat may make it harder or easier to stick to a lower calorie level and still feel satisfied. Many people find it difficult to eat a LOT of higher calorie foods (and not much in the way of lower calorie foods, like lean meats, fruits, and especially vegetables) and still feel satisfied, but that certainly does not mean that one can't feel satisfied/full when still including reasonable amounts of such foods. I typically have a little chocolate or half cup of ice cream or some cheese or other extra (and I might have a higher cal restaurant meal once a week) and never feel hungry as a result. Others will work in their favorites, perhaps wine or beer or candy or fries, etc.

For health/nutrition, you'd want to eat a balanced diet that supplies adequate protein and micronutrients (and certain kinds of healthy fats plus fiber) at a minimum, but you similarly can do that without cutting out stuff, if you don't want to, and you certainly don't need to limit yourself to what people think of as "diet foods."

You also don't have to think about everything right from the beginning. Sometimes it's easier to go in with an overall plan for changing your diet, but for a lot of people it is probably easier to just cut calories and figure out what is the easiest way for them to do that. I looked over my way of eating before getting started and figured out some of the ways I was getting extra calories and decided to change those things. If you feel like you don't know, logging for a while is really illuminating.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That's how I started. It got me going.

However, over time I've adjusted to a more balanced approach. I like feeling fuller longer and try to hit my macro/micro goals. I did this by slowly substituting what I eat. I still have a treat everyday, but its more 80/20 than the 60/40 I started out at.

I still have bad days, but overall, I eat much healthier than I used to.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Pretty much just chiming in to +1 all the advice you've already gotten.
    My approach:

Set MFP to a reasonable calorie deficit/rate of loss
    Eat a primarily nutrient dense diet and save room for "treats" if you can fit them in
    If you choose to exercise, make sure you eat back at least a portion of those calories

It really is as simple as that. You can still eat the foods you listed... you probably shouldn't eat ONLY the foods you listed.
  • GeordieLaforge
    GeordieLaforge Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm really impressed with the amount of people being awesome and reasonable here! It's good to see!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yup that's exactly what I do. Which isn't to say the portions and frequencies with which I eat certain foods haven't changed, but that's more from better planning and picking foods I know are filling.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I have to otherwise, I would give up. I have to eat what I like. I eat less than I used to and I don't generally eat it all in one day but I make room for all the things I like.
  • cocates
    cocates Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Pretty much just chiming in to +1 all the advice you've already gotten.
    My approach:

Set MFP to a reasonable calorie deficit/rate of loss
    Eat a primarily nutrient dense diet and save room for "treats" if you can fit them in
    If you choose to exercise, make sure you eat back at least a portion of those calories

It really is as simple as that. You can still eat the foods you listed... you probably shouldn't eat ONLY the foods you listed.

^^All of this!