How to maintain your goal weight??

Trying to stay the size without gaining or losing pounds. I've already met my goal weight but I seem to be losing more! What to do??

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Eat a little more. Start adding calories gradually until you stop losing. Congrats on the weight loss!
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    It can take several months to get your weight to stabilize after you've officially called goal. It took me around 6 months-I couldn't stop losing and had to do lots of trial and error adjustments before I finally settled into my current maintenance range (which is around 15lbs less than my original goal weight and at one point was almost 20lbs under). Just play around with the numbers and eventually you'll get things where you want them to be :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    What to do??

Eat more or move less.
  • mjwq46
    mjwq46 Posts: 3 Member
    Now that you have reached your goal weight, you can increase your calorie intake little by little, in order to maintain.
  • indiaweightlose24
    indiaweightlose24 Posts: 75 Member
    Sarajvz wrote: »
    It can take several months to get your weight to stabilize after you've officially called goal. It took me around 6 months-I couldn't stop losing and had to do lots of trial and error adjustments before I finally settled into my current maintenance range (which is around 15lbs less than my original goal weight and at one point was almost 20lbs under). Just play around with the numbers and eventually you'll get things where you want them to be :)
    sijomial wrote: »
    What to do??

Eat more or move less.

Kinda hard with 5 kids to move less I think I'll try to eat alittle more lol

• indiaweightlose24
    mjwq46 wrote: »
    Now that you have reached your goal weight, you can increase your calorie intake little by little, in order to maintain.

I'm just afraid I'll gain it all back
  • indiaweightlose24
    Sarajvz wrote: »

Thank you for your advice :)

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    mjwq46 wrote: »

I'm just afraid I'll gain it all back

It's exactly the game numbers game to lose, maintain or gain.
    You can't magically gain it all back without prolonged over-eating!

The fear of loss of control is very common so maybe just regard your new (higher) calorie goal exactly the same as your calorie goal was to lose for a while until you become accustomed to maintenance.
    i.e. Still "on a diet" but the goal number is different.
    It does get easier... Just takes a while for the mind to catch up with the body,
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 217 Member

The fear of loss of control is very common so maybe just regard your new (higher) calorie goal exactly the same as your calorie goal was to lose for a while until you become accustomed to maintenance.
    i.e. Still "on a diet" but the goal number is different.
    It does get easier... Just takes a while for the mind to catch up with the body,[/quote]

Very good advice and a very good way to think about it. Still the same game but with a different number. I LIKE IT!!

• indiaweightlose24
    Yes I'm very afraid of losing control but thank you so much for your advice :)
  • bkstein40
    bkstein40 Posts: 41 Member
    I feel your fear, I am 2 away from my goal. I started out at goal of 2lbs a week, they 1.5 now I am a the goal to loose 1lb a week. Kind of frustrating though, cause I really want that last 2 to fall off like the first 28. I am really hoping that by changing my goal weight loss about every two weeks will help when I actually meet my goal. I think my fear is also that it says I can eat 2200 to maintain, I think I will just gradually get to 2000 a day as I too am scared to gain it back. Patience is going to have to be a new virtue for me. Good Luck on your maintenance journey.
  • BikeTourer
    BikeTourer Posts: 191 Member
    edited November 2015
    bkstein40 wrote: »
    I feel your fear, I am 2 away from my goal. I started out at goal of 2lbs a week, they 1.5 now I am a the goal to loose 1lb a week. Kind of frustrating though, cause I really want that last 2 to fall off like the first 28. I am really hoping that by changing my goal weight loss about every two weeks will help when I actually meet my goal. I think my fear is also that it says I can eat 2200 to maintain, I think I will just gradually get to 2000 a day as I too am scared to gain it back. Patience is going to have to be a new virtue for me. Good Luck on your maintenance journey.

I think everyone is a bit a afraid of undoing all their hard work. What I did was set my mfp setting as "sedentary," turned on negative calories from Fitbit (Yes on exceptionally lazy days you will go negative). I chose sedentary because my desk job is exactly that. Active only comes with exercise. Fitbit throughout the day will feed adjustments based on my activity on that particular day. For me it every motivating to move because I want to eat more than the sedentary settings give me. I eat back my exercise calories but only if I'm hungry for them. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. It is not often that I'm hungry for more that I now let myself go over on occasion and assume I must have logged something wrong or I wouldn't be hungry. I guess doing these things help me be more mindful which is a great deal of the battle to begin with.

If it makes you feel better on most days when I add my baseline calories and my exercise together I usually can have only slightly less that your 2200 target and I'm slightly older so I get less to start with.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Stay on your diet plan and exercise, you can slightly increase your calorie intake. But really slow, count your calories too.
  • indiaweightlose24
    Thank you for the advice :)
  • indiaweightlose24
    BikeTourer wrote: »
    bkstein40 wrote: »

I think everyone is a bit a afraid of undoing all their hard work. What I did was set my mfp setting as "sedentary," turned on negative calories from Fitbit (Yes on exceptionally lazy days you will go negative). I chose sedentary because my desk job is exactly that. Active only comes with exercise. Fitbit throughout the day will feed adjustments based on my activity on that particular day. For me it every motivating to move because I want to eat more than the sedentary settings give me. I eat back my exercise calories but only if I'm hungry for them. It may not work for everyone but it works for me. It is not often that I'm hungry for more that I now let myself go over on occasion and assume I must have logged something wrong or I wouldn't be hungry. I guess doing these things help me be more mindful which is a great deal of the battle to begin with.

If it makes you feel better on most days when I add my baseline calories and my exercise together I usually can have only slightly less that your 2200 target and I'm slightly older so I get less to start with.

I will take your advice thanks so much!!!:) Good luck to you with losing those last 2 pounds !
  • indiaweightlose24
    I will take your advice thanks so much!!!:) Good luck to you with losing those last 2 pounds!!