Too much protein? Too little? I could really use some help/guidance, please.

nomadic_frau
nomadic_frau Posts: 25 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I'm always hungry, like eat and 15mins later hungry. Well today I'm not hungry, but I took in approximately 92g of protein, yikes! That's way too much. Besides protein how can I control hunger? According to my calculations I should only be eating like 45g of protein, but when I do, that's when I feel like I'm starving. With the exception of today's excessive protein, my diary remains pretty consistent. I tried going through the forums, but everyone suggest increasing protein. I'm so lost right now. Here's an example of my diet and I drink about 1-2L of water/green tea(without anything) a day. In case you're wondering pute is turkey. Any feedback is appreciated.

0z03lh74rrkr.jpg
7dfi2pnr3jvo.jpg

Replies

• cannedgoo
    cannedgoo Posts: 72 Member
    Maybe look at more fiber where you can? You are also eating a very small amount (1250~cals) which for some people is too drastic of a cut given their activity levels and body.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    92 grams of protein isn't a whole lot of protein. Unless maybe you weigh less than 92 pounds. You should probably be getting somewhere around 0.8 grams to 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, which helps maintain and/or build lean body tissues whether you're on a cut, maintaining, or trying to bulk. Protein is also good for satiety, so it comes with an added bonus.
  • Full0fWin
    Full0fWin Posts: 16 Member
    92 is definitely not too much.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    What are you talking about ?

Protein is a MINIMUM macro to hit

If in defecit and following a decent progressive resistance programme then the MINIMUM is somewhere between 0.64-0.8 g per lb bodyweight

If you find it sating that's an even better bonus
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    I eat 225 grams of protein per day... and while my goals are probably very different from yours, my point is that, when part of a balanced diet, it's not too much. Some people have health issues that high protein diets don't agree with, but by and large, when properly hydrated, it's hard to get too much protein.
  • denelifet
    denelifet Posts: 27 Member
    lol! just reading your diet example makes my stomach growl in hunger.....to each their own but I'm leaning out at the moment (c'mere little abs...i know you're in there somewhere **looking down at my belly**) on 1600 cal and 160g of protein....but then again, I lift heavy in the gym 5-6 days a week....and my own diet has my stomach growling....hmmm.....

me like to eat!!!! haha
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    If you are an active person, 92 g is not enough! Carbs are the ones making you hungry. Definitely need more protein and fat in your life :-)
  • nomadic_frau
    I'm no math genius, but 56kg(0.8) = 44.8/45g of protein. So can someone please explain how and why I'm wrong? If I'm active how am I supposed to account for that?
  • jim180155
    56kg? That's 123 pounds. So you should be getting around 98.4 to 123 grams of protein.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    I'm no math genius, but 56kg(0.8) = 44.8/45g of protein. So can someone please explain how and why I'm wrong? If I'm active how am I supposed to account for that?

Your weight in POUNDS...not kg

56 kg = 123 lbs x 0.8 = 98g of protein.

Actually sounds like you're pretty close to right on target.
  • nomadic_frau

Forgive, but the information that I continue to find is kg(0.8) or lb(0.36) which both would be 45g. This is why I have been calculating this way due to multiple sources.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    That's the minimum recommended for nutrition. There's no harm in eating more.

In fact, for certain goals -- like building muscle, athletic performance, and (most relevant to many on MFP) maintaining muscle while losing weight, there are proven benefits up to at least about .65-.85 g per lb of normal bodyweight (i.e., if you are obese, which you are not, you'd use goal weight).

So 92 g isn't unhealthy, and there might be benefits to aiming for a range of 80 to 105 (with no harm coming from being a bit over). I'm 5'3, 125, and aim for at least 95 g, but am over quite often since I too find eating protein more satiating and I happen to feel good when eating around a 30-30-40 balance (40% carbs).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member

Forgive, but the information that I continue to find is kg(0.8) or lb(0.36) which both would be 45g. This is why I have been calculating this way due to multiple sources.

That is minimum amount for someone eating maintenance that is sedentary. If you are in a deficit, or are active you need more. If you are active and in a deficit you need much more.
  • jim180155

What sources?

I read The China Study. I liked it. The author advocates low protein levels for health reasons, most notably as cancer protection. I think it makes intuitive sense, since a lack of protein (or very low levels) would make it harder for cancer cells to reproduce. If I had cancer I think I'd consider following his recommendations, which are to keep protein under 10% of your calories.

This next part is anecdotal, but I've read vegan and vegetarian advice stating that you don't need much protein. (FWIW I tried going vegan for 3 months.) I think the advice is self serving though. Or maybe I should say that it's a rationalization. It's hard to get "enough" protein when you're not eating meat, and harder yet when you also exclude dairy products.

Anyway, there are plenty of other sources telling you that you should be getting more protein.

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I eat 150+ grams of protein daily. I don't think too much protein is the case in your situation. You're probably hungry b/c you ate 1250 calories, and your goal is 1500+.

Eat more calories, eat more protein, eat more fiber.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    erickirb wrote: »

That is minimum amount for someone eating maintenance that is sedentary. If you are in a deficit, or are active you need more. If you are active and in a deficit you need much more.

^^ Yep

IIRC, if you read the full text it is emphasized that recommendation (based on kg) essentially amounts to the bare minimum necessary to maintain essential body functions.
  • Sued0nim
    jim180155 wrote: »

What sources?

I read The China Study. I liked it. The author advocates low protein levels for health reasons, most notably as cancer protection. I think it makes intuitive sense, since a lack of protein (or very low levels) would make it harder for cancer cells to reproduce. If I had cancer I think I'd consider following his recommendations, which are to keep protein under 10% of your calories.

This next part is anecdotal, but I've read vegan and vegetarian advice stating that you don't need much protein. (FWIW I tried going vegan for 3 months.) I think the advice is self serving though. Or maybe I should say that it's a rationalization. It's hard to get "enough" protein when you're not eating meat, and harder yet when you also exclude dairy products.

Anyway, there are plenty of other sources telling you that you should be getting more protein.

NO

The only thing to like about the china study is that it has been roundly debunked for years.
  • Sued0nim
    Here you go...read Mingers analysis http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/
  • jim180155
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Here you go...read Mingers analysis http://rawfoodsos.com/the-china-study/

Thanks, but I've read that before. Not that I put as much faith in blogs as you do, but I started looking for views contradicting Campbell's because his theories just didn't quite make complete sense. That's when I found your linked blog. I think the blog has some flaws as well. In the end I decided to disregard Campbell's advice and veganism in general because it felt unnatural.
  • jim180155
    It doesn't mean that I can't still like The China Study, though.