What kills your daily calorie allowance and how did you overcome it??

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I learned that I must delete completely. The saying "can't eat just one", so me!! If I get my mind set that I'm not eating just one (bc I won't eat just one) that I eventually stopped craving .....2.5 years without choc, pizza, cookies, fast food, ice cream, junk period....My indulge now is a Cliff KIT bar, RXbar or a Lara bar. Doing the Whole30 also will help you stop the sugar dragon.

I'm glad you found something that works for you.

For me, a life with ZERO chocolate, pizza, cookies, fast food, ice cream or junk...a life where a Clif bar is seen as an indulgence....I guess that's not a life I would ever want to live.

x2 why give up what you love just because you hear "it's bad"....if that were the case I would never fly south...might crash, might get sick, might get ...
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yep. I love, love, love red cokes loaded with all the sugar. They are just empty calories no matter how good they taste! I had to give them up completely. I can't drink even one because if I do I want another, and another and so on. Instead I drink coffee, tea, lots and lots of H20! Just start out reducing your intake of sweets, you may not be as addicted to sweets as I was to red cokes. Good Luck
  • ejcanavan
    ejcanavan Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Beer ... problem not solved yet :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lilyrunner wrote: »
    Yep. I love, love, love red cokes loaded with all the sugar. They are just empty calories no matter how good they taste! I had to give them up completely. I can't drink even one because if I do I want another, and another and so on. Instead I drink coffee, tea, lots and lots of H20! Just start out reducing your intake of sweets, you may not be as addicted to sweets as I was to red cokes. Good Luck

please don't go there...aka addicted to sugar. Lessens what an addiction is and what they actually mean and how hard they are to kick.

Thx.
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I have found that the culprit for going over my daily calorie allotment is chocolate and deserts. I can eat healthy low calorie meals (and I enjoy it too) but I always seem to finish the day with some sort of chocolate or dessert and I just cannot seem to kick the habit!! I have about 15 pounds left to lose but I am stalled out and when I look back through my diary I see that I have a lot of chocolate and sweets in there and that is what pushes me over the edge 99% of the time. I have found that if I completely restrict myself I end up overindulging and I wanted to avoid doing that. I have allowed myself to have some but I am doing it everyday and that is hurting my progress. I can't seem to find a happy medium? Do you struggle with a particular food item or category and what did you do to control it? Thanks for sharing!

I don't know, I don't restrict myself and manage to stay under my calories everyday. Maybe you can still have your chocolates and desserts just cut back on portions? Eat a little less dessert or a little less at each of your meals to make up for the extra calories.

Another solution is to burn off the extra calories if you really want to have it. 20 minutes of hard cardio would do the trick.
  • esnider211
    esnider211 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    beer and wine. Prelogging everything in the morning helps me decide if I can have a glass or 2, or if it won't fit in my day.
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe find some low calorie deserts with stevia instead of sugar. I can't tell the difference and it's a natural sugar supplement.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    ejcanavan wrote: »
    Beer ... problem not solved yet :)

beer_solution_to_all_of_life_problem_tshirt.jpg?height=250&width=250&padToSquare=true
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Also, maybe find some low calorie deserts with stevia instead of sugar. I can't tell the difference and it's a natural sugar supplement.

It's a substitute for sugar, but I wouldn't call it a "supplement."
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Cheese does it for me. I didn't realize how many calories were in the amount I was eating almost every day. I just cut back on the portion size for it and now I can still have my cheese and it doesn't kill a huge portion of my meal calories at lunch time.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

so is xylitol but I wouldn't put it in my body again...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Wine- stopped drinking it. Chocolate- don't have it in the house, but when I do eat it, I log it. I ate 950 of my 1200 calorie allotment in candy on Halloween. Really?? That's why I never buy it.
  • dondons101
    dondons101 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually get a sweet tooth after my evening meal, I find brushing my teeth seems to get rid if the craving & stops you wanting to eat anything else. Good luck! :) x
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I do the same with the except of it making me go over my limit.

I typically prelog my week which includes a full chocolate bar every night while still hitting my macros and staying in a deficit...

If you find they are putting you over perhaps your deficit is too large or you can earn calories with exercise.

But my last choice would be to stop eating them...esp since I love my chocolate at night with a diet coke...wind down time for me.

Thank you! Yes I should just plan on the fact that I will eat it and log it. I pre-log everything else but not the sweets. I think I have it in my mind that "maybe today I won't have any" but nonetheless I end up eating it at night and then it pushes me over. But if I plan ahead then I can accommodate for it which would be so much better.

This is what works for me. I log my day as if my goal was 150-250 cals less than it is. I find it easier to tweak my portions during the day than to skip the evening snack. There is still a day every once in awhile where I go over the cals I left myself, but every once in awhile is a lot better than every day :) Good luck!
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    for me it was bread....with butter, with peanut butter, with pimento cheese...I don't know why, but anything on bread and the more I ate the more I wanted....
  • preeJAY
    preeJAY Posts: 46 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I eat chocolate cookie and ice cream every single day. I limit myself however, by eating them literally on a food scale :) and straight out of the container rather than scooping anything out into another bowl -- so, basically an extreme form of portion control.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    The weekend does it for me. I do great all week while at work and then BOOM the weekend comes and I need a hobby... :disappointed:

Same here! I am already planning ways to make next weekend better. I always plan in a small treat in my day. I log it in the morning!
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Evening snacking was killing my daily calorie allowance. I've decided to stop fighting it and instead prelog meals leaving 500 calories available for the evening snacks. I'm also switching to intermittent fasting as I'm not a breakfast type person - really the later in the day I start eating the better I feel, so now I have my first meal after 3pm and am aiming for a 10-11pm cut off.
  • lilyrunner
    lilyrunner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @ Sext stef -A human can be addicted to any number of things, (including sugar), shopping, gambling and any type of addiction will most likely make your life miserable. I live in a state that is ranked Number two for most deaths caused by overdoses (usually heroin, but we still have problems with opioid addiction as well).
    We also have record numbers of smokers that are addicted to nicotine, and rank in the top five for lung cancer deaths. Many, many more are addicted to food which has created record number of deaths due to heart disease, diabetes and more.
    If I maintain my healthy lifestyle free of “any” kind of addiction and live to age 60 I will have out lived several of my siblings, and other relatives.
    I apologize for my tone and certainly do not want to be rude or preachy, but your comment struck a chord with me on a personal note.

• tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I really enjoy wine. I just can't have it period. Once I do, it ruins everything for me. :(