Anyone here NOT use a food scale?

Replies

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    I do have one though and I mostly use it for cooking recipes where the measurements are given in grams versus cups/tablespoons....I think an important thing to remember is that ultimately there are a lot of estimates in this process and there are certain tools that can increase accuracy of those estimates: scales for CI and HRM for CO but in the end of the day there will STILL be inaccuracies in the process even with those tools. I am comfortable with my eyeball estimates.
  • cannedgoo
    cannedgoo Posts: 72 Member
    I've lost about 25 pounds in the past (and regained from poor and fully explainable choices) and have struggled with an eating disorder as well. I've thought about purchasing a scale, but I've found that since I have an aggressive weight loss plan (2 lb/week) even if my estimations aren't fully accurate, I'm still losing. I like measuring cups and simple math. For example a 1lb package with 2 chicken breasts, means each breast is 8 ounces...therefore half of a breast is a serving. That's the kind of logic I use.
  • fitchlets
    fitchlets Posts: 58 Member
    I have never used one and I'm down 93 pounds.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    I do not use one on a regular basis, I pretty much eat the same things consistently so it is fairly easy. As stated above I have lost without the use of one. If I got to the point where I was not hitting my goals and thinking i am eating the proper amount then I may have a use it again. But I am pretty much satisfied with what I am doing for now.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I only weigh food when I'm canning stuff from the garden. I can't imagine weighing every bite of food I eat. Honestly I don't know people do it. I'm guessing their style of eating/cooking must be pretty different from mine.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    edited November 2015
    I do not use a food scale. I do keep it honest. A cup is a cup. So far, I've lost 17 lbs. I'm only 7 lbs away from my final goal. Even now, I don't think a scale is important. I am closing the gap with increasing my exercise.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    I use one. But that's because I'm the worst eyeballer ever.
    But I'm a big believer in "what works for one, might not necessarily work for all"
    With a history of ed (yay you for seeing someone too btw) I'm glad you have realised it's a trigger. Listen to the above people and do what they do :)

Good luck op!!!!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    i use one intermittenly. But did for a while in the beginning consistently until i got a handle on portions, then didnt for a long time, now I am kinda sporadic lol! lost 121 pounds
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    I want to swing the other way with this. I also have a history of ED, bulimia in particular with fasting tendencies. I have actually found that a food scale allows me to even out my intake. For example, a lot of your canned goods seemed to be on the short side as far as their serving sizes, so by weighing, I find I can eat a bit more. I have yet to come across a canned food that has more than what the serving label says it should. I also find that by weighing, I get a better sense of what I'm eating. When I get down on myself for a "binge," I can remind myself that I didn't actually eat that much because I know exactly what I ate and how much.

Weighing isn't for everyone, and if you feel you may be triggered, I recommend not to. I just wanted to give a different viewpoint from someone that has suffered from EDs.

I also apologize if something doesn't make sense in this. Typing this with a fever and the flu. :smile:
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    I have one in my kitchen and occasionally am curious about what things weigh. But I've lost weight over the years without one and am pretty good and estimating portion size. I find a measuring cup much more useful for the things that I eat.
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    shandy4487 wrote: »
    Wow! I didn't know so many people didn't use one! Lol thank you guys all soooo much for your responses. I feel much better knowing a scale isn't absolutely necessary. You guys rock :)

Yeah, it's totally doable. I never used a scale the first time I lost weight. I went from size 44 pants, xxx-large shirts down to size 33 pants, and large shirts. I also didn't log my food at all. I just went by feel, and made myself eat smaller portions. It worked, though it probably took longer than it would have logging with a scale.

I like using my scale, but if it's a trigger, then don't do it! You can succeed just as well without one. :)
  • lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,110 Member
    On some things, yes.
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    I do not. Not because I don't think it's a good idea.. just not a good idea for me. It's hard enough logging everything, so I eyeball instead. I just can't weigh everything I eat for the rest of my life. Learning the portions is easier for me. handful of this, size of a fist etc.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    I don't use one, lost 30 lbs, currently weigh 123 lbs at 5' 3.5".

I considered getting one, but honestly, my worst moments are when I go out to eat or when I'm munching at social gatherings. I couldn't accurately log these moments even if I did use a scale at home. I eat out and/or go to social gatherings at least once a week, so what's the point in being 99% accurate 80% of the time?

I lost weight at a rate of 1 lb a week, even had MFP set to lose 1 lb per week. When I switched to lose 0.5 lb per week, I lost about 0.75 lb per week. I've been maintaining for 4 months.

Sometimes I do wish I could weigh my meat, but that's about it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    I, for the first five years of losing and then maintaining, used a mixture of cups, eyeball, and occasional kitchen scale. I counted my loss on a now defunct site and only moved to MFP when maintaining.
    I went from 130 to 100-105 in a year using my above method, then maintained for 4.

It was only this past year, when I discovered MFP had a forum, I learnt that a digital food scale is an excellent tool, and bought one. I could have probably lost a little faster, but don't think one is necessary to lose weigh unless you are having problems.

Nowadays I use my scale every few months just to realign my eyeballing with the actual portion size.

If a scale is a problem, have one on hand, just to establish a portion, but don't feel you have to use it daily.

They come in useful for making cheesecakes too. B)

Cheers, h.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Nope, I figured out early on that guessing doesn't work for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    I want to swing the other way with this. I also have a history of ED, bulimia in particular with fasting tendencies. I have actually found that a food scale allows me to even out my intake. For example, a lot of your canned goods seemed to be on the short side as far as their serving sizes, so by weighing, I find I can eat a bit more. I have yet to come across a canned food that has more than what the serving label says it should. I also find that by weighing, I get a better sense of what I'm eating. When I get down on myself for a "binge," I can remind myself that I didn't actually eat that much because I know exactly what I ate and how much.

Weighing isn't for everyone, and if you feel you may be triggered, I recommend not to. I just wanted to give a different viewpoint from someone that has suffered from EDs.

I also apologize if something doesn't make sense in this. Typing this with a fever and the flu. :smile:

I agree with this.

But you don't have to use one. Just adjust your goal if you're losing too much/not enough.
  • shandy4487
    shandy4487 Posts: 72 Member
    Thank you guys for all your input! I feel really inspired by all your responses :)
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    No, but my meat is usually weighed at the butcher's department and I do use that math. And I use real measuring cups with olive oil, peanut butter, cereal, rice or pasta, because they are so calorie dense. I have cooked for so long that I can eyeball really well for most other things. It would screw up the recipe to be wrong, so I'm not in the habit of trying to stuff it in the cup :grin:

I also tend to underestimate on purpose, so that obviously works better for weight loss than being wrong in the other direction. If someone's calories are bordering on low, that would be bad, but mine have always been set high and slow :)
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Do what is best for you. I use a food scale every day for almost all foods. That is what works for me.