Short, relatively small women in long-term maintenance

Options

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @Psychgrrl well done on your loss and maintenance.
    May I ask what your band size is with the Victoria Secrets bra?

Cheers, h.
  • janisvin
    janisvin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and maintaining btw 126-129. My starting weight was 141 but all time high probably 150 or so. My suggested maintenance cals are 1640 or so but I keep it at 1500 so I have wiggle room. This is really working for me! Feel free to add me as a friend!!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm 40, 5'2 and lost about 30 lbs using MFP and currently maintaining b/w 121-125 at about 2100 cals total, I have a FitBit and average 15K steps per day.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @Psychgrrl well done on your loss and maintenance.
    May I ask what your band size is with the Victoria Secrets bra?

Cheers, h.

I wear a 34C or 34D depending on the cut of the cups.
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Good to find this ... I am 5'3" and am really stuck at 145. I would like to lose 20lbs.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Thanks @Psychgrrl , I was hoping for a 32 or 30 band.

@runningforthetrain what is your daily calorie goal and how much a week are you hoping to lose?

Are you weighing all your food with a digital scale, and measuring liquids with liquid measuring cups and spoons?

If you aren't it may be worth investing $20 in a scale. Us petite people really have to be tight with our logging, especially when we are close to our goal weight.

Cheers, h.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Good to find this ... I am 5'3" and am really stuck at 145. I would like to lose 20lbs.

As @middlehaitch says, buy a scale, it really can be eye opening the amount of calories we are consuming without realising. Once you tighten up your logging you'll find those pounds will start dropping :smile:
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I need to commit to losing a certain amount per week - instead I keep wishing what I am doing will work. - any loss or trend down would be good - 1/2 a week. Funny, before I returned to this thread I posted that I am going to tighten up on my logging! I do have a scale and I weigh things when at home. But, the eating out, which I do quite often really makes it difficult.
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    Once you have been weighing and logging at home for a while you will get a better idea of portion sizes when you eat out.

I did, my palm for protien, 2/3 of that size for carbs, and as much salad and steamed veg as I liked. If the veg is stir fried, add a tbsp or 2 of oil to your log, same for fried or deep fried foods.

Creamy sauces and condiments usually add a load of cals too.

If the places you eat out at don't have their cals in the MFP data base, or on line, break the meal down when you get home and enter individual components. Overestimating is best, and don't forget the alcohol.

Even if you are over it is best to log it, then you can see why you didn't lose as much as expected. Remember, you don't have to be perfect every day.

With only 25 lb to lose .5 lb sounds a great goal. You may manage to do 1 lb for the first 5-8 lb, but it would put you at a low calorie goal which would be harder to achieve and maintain.

Everything solid needs weighing, liquid measuring.

Cheers, h.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I hope I am not too tall for the group.. lol

5'4" currently 109. Maintain is 1430. I can eat more than this and not gain.. but the bare bottom is 1430 I do exercise and watch how those calories are applied as well.

As far as the bras that were mentioned I wear the Victoria Secret bras and sports bras... I am a large C and around 32 originally but now a 34 and I buy the 34 D..In both. If you have the investment to make and a store you can try on these, it is worth the xtra bucks to get a really good made bra and sports bra.

In the sports bar I used to use the incredible sports bra and then I found the the knockout bra at VS. OMG.. my boobs will not move no matter if I am hanging up side down in a tree or jumping on the trampoline.

This is a great thread and I am really glad to see it because I am one of those is outside the norm as not having alot of wiggle room while in maintenance as well. If I had dared mentioned this elsewhere in the forums I would have been shot down... lol

Thanks @segacs!!! :):)
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, VS with its 32s and 34s just ain't gonna work for me. I wish I could find 28s but I make do with 30s on the smallest hook. But I'm glad you find success there, if you can.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"2 and currently around 110-112lbs. I went as low as 102lbs when lost all my weight. I've maintained my 90lb loss for around 3.5 years. I'm currently doing The Body Coach Lean In 15 90 day "diet". I've gained weight doing it but feel much stronger and i've realised I can eat more without gaining loads. It's about types of food that i eat.
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Glad to have found this group! I'm 62 and 5 ft 1/2 inch. I've lost 57 pounds and am hoping for another 25. I've been researching my projected maintenance calories and am befuddled to find suggestions for 1300-1800 cal depending on the source. Very frustrating. I currently am losing at 1050-1250 calories/day. I'm looking for any and all support and would dearly love to be friended by other "shorties".
  • middlehaitch
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @alizesmom, scroll up to the link to the 'petites in maintenance' group. We are a friendly, supportive crowd that understands the particular challenges of the petite person.
    It is good to fill out the 'introduce yourself' thread, just so we don't have to keep asking the same old height, weight and calorie questions. :)
    Cheers, h.
    Edit, it will be nice to have another 62yo on board.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Here's the link to the group, for anyone looking for it:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/109137-petites-in-maintenance
  • Nireedk
    Nireedk Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    AARP said 5'0" women should weight 100 lbs. For each inch over 5'0" add 5 lbs. For small frame you can deduct 10% and for large frame you can add 10 lbs. That would put my goal weight at 110 as I am 5'0 with a large bone structure.
  • ljcox7210
    ljcox7210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 2 and 100lbs, struggling to keep the weight off unfortunately :( I feel like I'm still on a diet or I gain /:
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    ljcox7210 wrote: »
    I'm 5ft 2 and 100lbs, struggling to keep the weight off unfortunately :( I feel like I'm still on a diet or I gain /:

At 100 pounds and 5'2", you're actually classed as under weight, so that might be why it feels like such a struggle. Maybe see how you feel at 108 (the floor for healthy weight at that height).
  • middlehaitch
    Options
    @kayrdeerin, I just had a quick look at the AARP site and felt it was too off in a number of things for me to like.

Only 4 eggs a week because of the cholesterol, nope.
    Harder for women in the menopausal range to lose weight, nope,
    That I should weigh 90lb, nope, nope, nope.

5'1, 62, and maintain between 100-105 lb very comfortably.

@ljcox7210, can you share your calorie goal ( for when you were losing and your maintenance), exercise plan, and macro breakdown?
    Sometimes it is a case of not eating back enough exercise cals, others you may do better changing your macro ratio, if you track it.
    Also, reverse dieting may help you up your calories to a more satisfying level.
  • ljcox7210
    ljcox7210 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    @kayrdeerin, I just had a quick look at the AARP site and felt it was too off in a number of things for me to like.

Only 4 eggs a week because of the cholesterol, nope.
    Harder for women in the menopausal range to lose weight, nope,
    That I should weigh 90lb, nope, nope, nope.

5'1, 62, and maintain between 100-105 lb very comfortably.

@ljcox7210, can you share your calorie goal ( for when you were losing and your maintenance), exercise plan, and macro breakdown?
    Sometimes it is a case of not eating back enough exercise cals, others you may do better changing your macro ratio, if you track it.
    Also, reverse dieting may help you up your calories to a more satisfying level.

I was eating 1000-1200 calories a day whilst losing, then have been eating 1645 calories a day on average whilst (attempting) to maintain. I have a very active job, 8 hours a day constantly moving on my feet moving boxes (around 12kg each) and things, so I burn ~700 calories a day at work. I eat around 50% carbs, 30% protein and 20% fat a day...