Such confusion about carbs!

Options
Hello! I am new to this, but finally decided to give it a go. I didn't want losing 15# to be so complicated. Simply could not figure out what kind of diet to go on. Logging in, keeping a food journal, and spending so much time dwelling on what I eat! But friends of ours recently went on a 20-carbs-a-day diet and although they have been losing, how long can they stay on it? I gave it a try and lasted one day! That is far too restrictive, but my main concern was "is it healthy"? My doctor also says, "watch the carbs." Just what is that supposed to mean? How many can you have in a day? One thing about this program is that once you set your goals and fill in some info, it DOES tell you how many carbs to shoot for in a day, and that is WAY over 20. Sorry to ramble, but could I hear some success stories on this plan? Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Success stories from which plan?

I get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates and have lost about 45 pounds this way. Weight loss is created by a caloric deficit, not by avoiding carbohydrates. Many people find that protein and/or fat increase their feeling of satiety (or "fullness") so they eat more of those.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb is unnecessary for weight loss. If it is something you plan on doing indefinitely, then thats one thing, but as soon as you reintroduce them, you'll find that water weight you dropped, suddenly reappear. A caloric deficit is what's required for weight loss.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some people do low carb and find it sustainable and some don't. It's a personal preference. I don't eat low carb but I know many who do. Your friends may find 20 carbs a day very sustainable for them. I eat moderate carbs and am still losing weight steadily.

I'm guessing (purely guessing) that your doctor says watch the carbs because those foods that are high in carbs don't usually give people that "full feeling" and people tend to over eat on them making them have a calorie surplus. For many, cutting carbs is an easy way to make a calorie deficit.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic or have some other medical reason, you don't need to cut carbs. I get most of my calories from carbs every day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    How many carbs you eat is largely personal preference. For a balanced diet you need a minimum amount of protein and fat, and beyond that it depends on how you feel, how much activity you do, and what makes you satisfied. I tend to eat about 40% carbs (will probably try kicking it up a bit as I'm training for a marathon), but I focus more on getting enough protein and eating nutrient dense foods and a balanced diet, and don't really care what my carb grams come in at.

That said, I lost about 95 lbs eating around 150 g carb throughout most of my loss period. I've been maintaining with somewhat higher carbs.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Success stories from which plan?

I get about 60% of my calories from carbohydrates and have lost about 45 pounds this way. Weight loss is created by a caloric deficit, not by avoiding carbohydrates. Many people find that protein and/or fat increase their feeling of satiety (or "fullness") so they eat more of those.

This^

It's not just about eating for the short term. It's also going to be about what helps you keep your weight in-check in the future too.

I've done many short term diets........yet here I am again. Find something sustainable for you. It's going to be personalized, not just someone throwing out some "catch phrase."
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    "Watch the carbs" could mean eat 100-150 G/day instead of 350G/day.

Why is your doctor telling you to limit carbs?
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    CHICKIEFOX wrote: »
    Hello! I am new to this, but finally decided to give it a go. I didn't want losing 15# to be so complicated. Simply could not figure out what kind of diet to go on. Logging in, keeping a food journal, and spending so much time dwelling on what I eat! But friends of ours recently went on a 20-carbs-a-day diet and although they have been losing, how long can they stay on it? I gave it a try and lasted one day! That is far too restrictive, but my main concern was "is it healthy"? My doctor also says, "watch the carbs." Just what is that supposed to mean? How many can you have in a day? One thing about this program is that once you set your goals and fill in some info, it DOES tell you how many carbs to shoot for in a day, and that is WAY over 20. Sorry to ramble, but could I hear some success stories on this plan? Thanks!

Carbs are fine, unless you have diabetes, or insulin resistance (even then, you just need to be more careful about them). If you don't need to restrict carbs for a medical reason, then just stick to a calorie deficit. Eat what you like, in more moderate portions.

I won't cut carbs. I like pizza too much. I don't go a week without pizza.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

people who eat anything remotely resembling the SAD (Standard American Diet) could stand to moderate their carbohydrate intake...and even more so, make better decisions in RE to what makes up that particular macro. "watch your carbs" doesn't necessarily mean low carb...and certainly doesn't mean keto (very low carbs)...moderating carbohydrate intake in order to better balance out your diet doesn't mean you have to go all of the way to the other extreme.

their are many nutritious sources of carbohydrates as well as less nutritious sources...much of the carbohydrate intake in the SAD would fall into the second category...so again, adjusting intake to reflect more nutritious sources and fewer "junk" sources.

there isn't any weight loss magic about cutting carbs...cutting carbs for many is simply an "easy" way to reduce calorie intake...i mean after all, you're basically eliminating and entire macro. some people with certain medical conditions also find it easier to lose weight with carbohydrate restriction...but for an otherwise healthy person, carbohydrates are just one of three macros...

in maintenance roughly 50% of my diet is carbohydrates...when i was dieting i kept my macros at 40c/30p/30f. those particular macros give me way more protein than i need in maintenance though...carbs are an easy "flex" macro.
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    I eat keto with IF, 15-20g a day on 17:7. Today, I'll get about 10g. I'm happy there. If you aren't happy, you won't stick with it and it's therefore useless. You need a calorie deficit to lose. End of story. How you get to that deficit, be it low carb, low fat, veggie only, keto, IF, doesn't matter. You need to find a way of eating that works for you and where you're happy.

I will say that 1 day on keto isn't nearly enough. It can take 30-60 days to become adapted. It took me almost 3 months. It's a way of life, not a diet. If you can't or won't make that change forever, then you might as well move on to another WOE. If you want to try keto, there are keto groups on MFP to help you.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to this, but finally decided to give it a go. I didn't want losing 15# to be so complicated.

Losing weight is NOT complicated. You need to eat at a calorie deficit. That means eating all the foods you enjoy, but less of them.

Do you need to monitor carb intake for a health situation? If so, your doctor needs to be more precise than "watch your carbs." I'd ask him/her again.

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert and I know nothing about the science of carbs and what they do to your body - but I just want to offer up my story:

When I discovered I was overweight, my doctor suggested I 'cut carbs' *sigh*. I tried eating below 50g of carbs for one day and failed spectacularly - it was SO unrealistic for me. I then discovered MFP and changed my doctor! I'd say around 60% of my daily calories are made up of carbs and guess what? I've lost around 34 lbs.

Carbs don't make you gain weight. Fat doesn't make you gain weight. What makes you gain weight is TOO MUCH food. Seriously - losing weight is ALL about a calorie deficit. This doesn't have to be complicated but it DOES need to be realistic and it DOES need to fit around your current lifestyle.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb, generally under 60 a day. I feel SO much better on low carb...I sleep better and just generally feel better. It's all a personal preference, unless you have a medical condition.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »
    I eat keto with IF, 15-20g a day on 17:7. Today, I'll get about 10g. I'm happy there. If you aren't happy, you won't stick with it and it's therefore useless. You need a calorie deficit to lose. End of story. How you get to that deficit, be it low carb, low fat, veggie only, keto, IF, doesn't matter. You need to find a way of eating that works for you and where you're happy.

I will say that 1 day on keto isn't nearly enough. It can take 30-60 days to become adapted. It took me almost 3 months. It's a way of life, not a diet. If you can't or won't make that change forever, then you might as well move on to another WOE. If you want to try keto, there are keto groups on MFP to help you.

I agree with all of this. I usually eat around 20g of carbs and enjoy it because it helps my health and I no longer have carb cravings. To lose weight I need to et at a caloric deficit while eating very LCHF.

I also agree that the keto diet needs to be given a few weeks at minimum. It takes a while for the body to switch from glucose burning. If you want to try keto, giv it a few weeks or a month or so.

Best wishes.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

Forget about "plans" and "diets". Cut your calories, make sure you eat a wide variety of nutritious foods with the occasional treat and listen to your body. Start with the MFP defaults for your macronutrients (carbs, fat, protein) and tweak them as you progress. If you find yourself still hungry with the number of carbs you are eating, switch out higher carb foods for those with more protein and/or fat. If that doesn't work, switch for even higher carb foods.

Each person is different and you need to take the time to figure out what works for you. Many lose really well on high carb (65% or more of your calories) many do well on low carb (30% or fewer of your calories), and just as many do well on moderate carb (between 30% and 65%).

You want success stories? I am eating moderate carb (35% of my total calories)
    58841349.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    I eat low carb, generally under 60 a day. I feel SO much better on low carb...I sleep better and just generally feel better. It's all a personal preference, unless you have a medical condition.

I don't eat low carb and Sleep so much better and generally feel great too.

But you are correct...it's a personal preference.

Weight loss and fitness make people feel better and sleep better.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    ki4eld wrote: »

What this person said^

And on the contrary to them, I eat between 250-300 grams of carbs per day, but the bottom line is calorie deficit.

How you get there is largely preference.
  • yanjinbro
    yanjinbro Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Normal people who're trying to keep healthy or so could go with 442 or 532 ratio for carbs protein and fat, which is the percentage of these three main elements that your body need of your daily necessary intake. For instance, your macro is 2000kcal per day, then go with 40% or 50% of 2000kcal for your carbs, however, the important thing is that which kinda of carbs you eat, those high GI carbs are not good for you to intake all the time.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, it really is the total number of calories you eat that matters. For ME, it's those cravings for carbs that would lead me to binging. And when I binged, it was never on chicken or cheese or burgers...it was always the crackers and cookies, potatoes, rice, bread, etc. So, I've recently drastically cut the carbs from my diet (<30g/day), and I've been successful and completely happy with the changes in my way of eating. We have to find what works for us.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Some people need to 'watch' their carbs for health reasons. Such as my brother in law is a diabetic. The carbs in some food have a big impact on his blood sugar level. He does not avoid them totally, but is aware of which carbs have a greater impact and is careful to have lower quantities of these.