Don't always believe what you read on the internet............

Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    While I agree with the subject line and most of your post, I think using MFP as a "resource" for knowledge is dangerous. There is a lot of nonsense on here. I'd suggest people take everything read on MFP with a grain of salt. It would be wise to verify everything through a reliable referenced source.
    Nonsense will get countered by those who can support better information. And the most reliable people will use legitimate research to back them.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

What is really amazing is when people can say that they have years of experience - and others will counter with outright disbelief. If someone works in the medical field, and has hands-on, eyes-on experience, that is pretty much the same thing as the information in a scientific study.

In my experience even working in the medical field, people will tell you conditions don't exist when you've just dealt with patients who had them in the morning.

There are some people who will be agrumentative just to have an arguement.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I share an office with a woman who puts coconut oil in her morning coffee

My SIL keeps sending me juicing links... I've lost over 50lbs and she still fat but she's a-selling the woo

I need absolutely no convincing that people don't get CICO as a basic overriding premise

Hell I never used to

I put coconut oil in my morning coffee. Not because I ascribe any magical powers to it, but because that plus protein powder tides me over until I am ready for a proper meal. What's your office mate's motivation?
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options

My SIL keeps sending me juicing links... I've lost over 50lbs and she still fat but she's a-selling the woo

I need absolutely no convincing that people don't get CICO as a basic overriding premise

Hell I never used to

Unfortunately, I see very similar things happening with people who I know. Although the weird thing is, a lot of them will say that they know that to lose, they need to burn more calories than they consume. Yet somehow, there is a disconnection after that. Sometimes I think it is either a misunderstanding (or lack of understanding) of how many calories they consume or should consume, or an unwillingness to try to keep track of it somehow, whether eyeballing or measuring/weighing. Same with not understanding serving sizes...

I had to be very insistent with someone close to me when she wanted to buy an expensive juicer. It took a lot of convincing to explain that drinking her meals doesn't negate or reduce the calories. This is someone who already eats a nutritionally poor diet, but is perplexed by her severe digestion problems while ignoring that she drinks several ounces of hazelnut creamer every day. She figured her creamer "is only 45 calories," which it is...per serving. She was consuming half of a container a day. The container had 63 servings. No wonder tummy aches were a problem!

Good post, OP.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Hell I never used to

I put coconut oil in my morning coffee. Not because I ascribe any magical powers to it, but because that plus protein powder tides me over until I am ready for a proper meal. What's your office mate's motivation?

It will help her shed weight
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    While I agree with the subject line and most of your post, I think using MFP as a "resource" for knowledge is dangerous. There is a lot of nonsense on here. I'd suggest people take everything read on MFP with a grain of salt. It would be wise to verify everything through a reliable referenced source.
    Nonsense will get countered by those who can support better information. And the most reliable people will use legitimate research to back them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What is really amazing is when people can say that they have years of experience - and others will counter with outright disbelief. If someone works in the medical field, and has hands-on, eyes-on experience, that is pretty much the same thing as the information in a scientific study.

In my experience even working in the medical field, people will tell you conditions don't exist when you've just dealt with patients who had them in the morning.

I think you've struck at the heart of the problem.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've noticed it's a reoccurring pattern in some posters. Even when you provide them studies and information and they tell you they aren't going to bother to read them even when they've asked for more information or are trying to say a condition doesn't exist, it's a tad frustrating.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I've noticed it's a reoccurring pattern in some posters. Even when you provide them studies and information and they tell you they aren't going to bother to read them even when they've asked for more information or are trying to say a condition doesn't exist, it's a tad frustrating.

Agree.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Great post! Though I've got to say, by the time I made it through the 5 subsequent pages of people who need to argue, I actually had to go back to read the OP, to remember what it was about!

25-06-2015-20-53-57.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agree.

You have a face! I like it.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Agree.

You have a face! I like it.

Yay!!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    Nearly everyone on this thread has at some point called me out for believing in bull**** and/or steered me back to CICO when bull**** was present where my naive and ignorant of the facts self was lurking.

If that makes y'all folks-who-like-to-argue-just-to-argue, whatever.

My 17 lbs lighter, 4 inch smaller self thanks you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Great post! Though I've got to say, by the time I made it through the 5 subsequent pages of people who need to argue, I actually had to go back to read the OP, to remember what it was about!

25-06-2015-20-53-57.jpg
    I've actually met Dave Bautista (real spelling of his last name) back in 2000 in Sterling VA when I was instructing at World's Gym when it was there. Real nice guy in person. Oh and he was curling 135lbs for reps. Can't wait to see him again in the next "Guardians of the Galaxy".

Back to topic.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

25-06-2015-20-53-57.jpg

SNORT! FTW!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Ah ha, two people liked my gif, my work here is done :D
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Conversely, it doesn't matter how much you can reasonably and consistently integrate into your life, it's not going to do you a lick of good if the science doesn't support it. Doing something because you can manage to do it isn't enough.

Good point. There's no right way to do a wrong thing.

That's not entirely true. There's no science that supports stopping eating at a particular time, or eating meals at certain times, as directly impacting weight loss, i.e. your body does not shut down when you go to sleep or stop burning calories if you don't eat every few hours to keep your metabolism going, which are the typical supposedly science-based explanations for doing that.

But both strategies can be helpful to an individual for dietary adherence, which can help keep a calorie deficit. So not directly supported by science, but not exactly wrong either. Wrong is pretty much in the eye of the beholder when it comes to weight loss and exercise. For some people, the learning process is more important than the scale number, so while you might find something to be a waste of time, someone else might gain a skill that will help them later on. There's no "right" way to go about this process.

Sure, like in the green tea thread, I told the OP if it was working for her who cares if science doesn't support it. (While someone did post a study that supported green tea and weight loss, that was a minority view.)

That OP was not trying to get a paper published or get FDA approval.

Except "it's" not actually working for her. What's working is the calorie deficit. An OP confusing correllation for causation does not mean the nonsense is actually working.

I think very often the "how" is as (or more) important as the "what".

As someone pointed out above psychology plays a role in weight loss. Often a fairly significant role. Insisting that physiology is all that matters is part of the nonsense on these boards IMO.

Well put. Back in April, I did a number of things to psyche myself up to start losing weight, none of which have a direct effect on weight loss, all of which were helpful.

When I stopped losing weight after hitting a mini goal last month, I employed another psychological technique.

And tying this back into my last post, I wouldn't bother asking you to prove scientifically why those "number of things" worked for you.

However, if you start evangelizing that those things are what cause weight loss and advised that if others just "did those things" they'll lose weight, then yes, people would want to see more than n=1 proof.

I am complete agreement with this. But saying "this worked for me" is not an untrue statement if it did indeed work for you. Even if you are talking about green tea.

It still comes down to context though.

"X Worked for me" as a simple statement...meh, I have no real issues with that.

"X Worked for me" as a reply to an OP asking "How do I lose weight"...probably borderline. The implied sentiment there is "and it will work for you too". I'd probably call that out.

"X Worked for me...so if you do it you WILL lose weight too"...yeah that's gonna get called out.

Assuming you mean as long as "x does not = calorie deficit"

• PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Are there many people who truly don't know you must be a calorie deficit to lose weight? I always think people are implying that someone is stupid or simple when they point that out.

There are posts every single day by people who think that wrapping themselves up in a specially cut hunk of paper with goo on one side will make them lose inches with zero effort involved... If someone really thinks that's plausible do you really think they understand how their body actually functions? Not likely, and if they do and are doing it anyhow, then they're likely bordering on desperation for not attempting to lose weight sooner. That is another phenomenon we see frequently - "Help I need to lose the last 20 pounds in 3 weeks! Is this doable?!?" - Uhm, no, it's not. And cue the outrage after one person shares how they lost 20 pounds in the same time frame (failing to note they started at like 350 pounds and are 5'2").

I'd say the lack of knowledge of (general) your own body is quite shocking, but it's not.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Are there many people who truly don't know you must be a calorie deficit to lose weight? I always think people are implying that someone is stupid or simple when they point that out.

There are posts every single day by people who think that wrapping themselves up in a specially cut hunk of paper with goo on one side will make them lose inches with zero effort involved... If someone really thinks that's plausible do you really think they understand how their body actually functions? Not likely, and if they do and are doing it anyhow, then they're likely bordering on desperation for not attempting to lose weight sooner. That is another phenomenon we see frequently - "Help I need to lose the last 20 pounds in 3 weeks! Is this doable?!?" - Uhm, no, it's not. And cue the outrage after one person shares how they lost 20 pounds in the same time frame (failing to note they started at like 350 pounds and are 5'2").

I'd say the lack of knowledge of (general) your own body is quite shocking, but it's not.

Actually, I'd say it's the rule rather than the exception. Most people have close to zero knowledge of sound nutritional/health principles - you could even call it a negative amount of knowledge considering that most of what they 'know' is the BS from "fitness magazines", Dr. Oz, etc. Reading through the threads on MFP is a clear illustration of how many people are utterly clueless about nutrition or "weight loss 101".
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Actually, I'd say it's the rule rather than the exception. Most people have close to zero knowledge of sound nutritional/health principles - you could even call it a negative amount of knowledge considering that most of what they 'know' is the BS from "fitness magazines", Dr. Oz, etc. Reading through the threads on MFP is a clear illustration of how many people are utterly clueless about nutrition or "weight loss 101".

Ah yes, the warped sense of what I should do for exercise that stemmed from years of reading Seventeen magazine followed by Cosmo and Glamor ...

tumblr_n3mgxrL2pD1tq4of6o1_500.gif

I'm going to have to buy some books on lifting just to counter any monthly magazine derp that might creep into my home since I have two daughters. Or go through it in Sharpie first and scribble "This is crap, please come talk to me about it" on pages that would just be downright harmful for them. Then again, that might be the whole thing ... so maybe I should just put a ban in place now ,and be glad my gym will let my kids start working out at 12 after they take some gym etiquette and safety classes.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would also like to add; "don't always believe what you read while waiting in line at the grocery store".

Turbo Atkins?????

Princess Di was a man???
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I don't think there is promoting of fad diets around here, but I do see a lot of coddling of it. If you looked around right now on the front page of this very forum, you'd wouldn't be too hard pressed to find an example.

plexus, green tea, stop eating fruit, sugar addiction, clean 9, juicing...

Seems accurate. Sad.