Hypothyroidism from thyroid surgery, trying to lose weight while studying abroad!

Options
Hello everyone,

Long story short, I only have half a thyroid because it was thought that I had thyroid cancer. I don't, thankfully enough, but the whole ordeal has left me with a malfunctioning thyroid and an autoimmune disorder which is likely to make it worse. I take thyroid medication, but I am still struggling with gaining weight since my surgery eleven months ago. Just in the past few weeks I can tell I have gained weight though my appetite has decreased, suggesting that my metabolism has crashed again.

My thyroid medication probably needs to be upped, but as I am currently studying abroad in England, I won't be able to get it checked for another month and a half! Help, how do I survive the remaining time and not gain more weight? I eat healthy and exercise 45 minutes every other day, and walk like ten miles when I am travelling on the weekends, but apparently that is not enough for my darn hypothyroidism. I am 20 years old, 5'3, and probably 135 at this point though I don't have access to a scale. I was 125 before the surgery. I was warned that this would probably happen, but I don't have to like it!

Any suggestions on how to (a) increase my metabolism and (b) lose weight while hypo?

Thanks!

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is really hard. I'm so sorry to hear it. I too have an autoimmune based thyroid disorder, so it's rough. Before I was diagnosed (though I'd suspected it for years before) the only thing that I found to help was eating a Paleo diet. I started very strict Paleo and then slowly started to add things back in once I could find I tolerate it pretty well.

For me, looking back, I guess it wasn't so much Paleo but more likely eliminating gluten and reducing added sugar. I also tend to keep carbs on the lower side as I struggle with blood sugar issues as well -- so most of my carbs come from veggies and fruit. I found that when I cut back on my added sugar (which I discovered by scrupulously tracking and the Paleo diet), I felt a LOT better. I still really like all the good fats and protein on Paleo, but I think it was getting rid of gluten and getting rid of a lot of my added sugar that was the key (which naturally happens when you go Paleo).

It certainly wasn't as good once I actually got full treatment too (then it truly was like night and day), but the diet changes were key for me. I still eat a Primal diet, just not quite as strict as strict Paleo.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Can't you visit a doctor in England? It's not like they're a third-world country. I'm sure they can run a thyroid panel! Any doctor can do that here, so I assume any doctor could do that there.

Call some up, explain the situation. It's a short appointment, so I'm sure someone could squeeze you in.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Don't increase meds - instead, feed your Thyroid properly!! Take Iodine!!! 1 ea. Iodoral caplet daily, to be precise. You might even be able to get off the meds prescribed by Dr, Quak at some point. :)