Overcoming Sugar Addiction

Options
This is for venting about the frustration of sugar cravings, sharing life hacks to deal with them, and lending support to one another getting through it--and maintaining a food lifestyle that is satisfied without excessive sugar. At face value, lowering sugar will probably help with weight loss, but I've already lost my weight (215 to 145 in 2 years) and that's a great motivator to curb the cravings. But I'm more concerned now with the long term affects excessive sugar will have on my life, and the lives of my kids. Sugar has a purpose, but in small amounts. I want to be OVERALL healthy, not just LOOK healthy on the outside.

Last year, I knocked my sugar intake down to a whopping 25-40g/day, which was awesome! And once the ball was rolling, it was pretty easy to maintain...but it was hard as Hell to get there, and once life started getting stressful, super easy to fall back into old habits. I'm looking to create some accountability here, for me, for you, for anyone looking to challenge their own cravings and take control of their diet and overall health. The sneakiest thing about sugar cravings for me was that it took serious effort to realize that it was a problem.

I had no idea how much sugar I was taking in, or how badly I craved it, until I asked a friend for dietary help to get lean for my wedding many years ago. I worked out, I was active, ate well, but still couldn't lose weight or achieve the "look" I wanted. My friend, a professional bodybuilder, pointed out the ridiculous amounts of sugar in my average daily intake--hundreds of grams...a lot of hundreds. My protein shake, my vegetable juice and my morning coffee each individually had more sugar than I needed in one day--add to that a single Coke once a day, my adoration for fresh fruit and carbohydrate-heavy dinners, and I was in ever-constant sugar overload while doing "everything in moderation." Even after talking to him, following his diet, and seeing changes, I still didn't believe that I ate too much sugar. I didn't eat donuts everyday, or candy or fast food! But I did eat a lot of sneaky sugar. First, it's everywhere, and second, I just didn't even realize I was eating sometimes...I would see M&Ms and grab a few, or mindlessly have a bagel in the middle of the day, or put 6 packets of sugar in my coffee...thinking that was somehow better than drinking a 20 oz Coke. I begrudgingly dropped my daily Starbucks Venti White Mocha and immediately realized that I wasn't actually addicted to caffeine--but to the crazy amount sugar in it (75 grams of sugar in ONE DRINK).

I've tried four times to curb my sugar intake, to reign it in, and I've been both very successful and a dismal failure. It might sound silly and cheesy and crazy to say it: but kicking the sugar habit is really, really hard. Trying to do it at any point is going to be hard. I tried with a baby while nursing: Nope. I tried once the diapers were done and potty training over: Nope. I tried while in grad school before kids: Nope. I tried when I worked and then when I stayed at home: Nope and NO WAY IN HELL. There will never be an easy time. There will only be now.

So, here's what I'm going to do for this fifth round. I'm going to share the trending suggestions and ask if they've worked for you, and share if they've worked for me. And I'm going to ask you to share your tips and thoughts and experiences and I'll keep sharing mine. And when the dog rips the garbage apart and the bills are due and the laundry is piling up and my boss wants to chat about that last project timeline: I'm going to post here, instead of perch against the kitchen counter gorging on Lime Sherbet and Chocolate Cake--and you should too. Because most sugar cravings seem to be, at least for me, a response to stress--ANY kind of stress. Which is why I think that breaking the habit is so hard, but I've also realized that it's only the first step, it might be the hardest step, but keeping the lifestyle is going to be work too.

Replies

• lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Here's a handy infographic video from TED to get to know your brain on sugar!

http://ed.ted.com/lessons/how-sugar-affects-the-brain-nicole-avena#review

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Looks like somebody is...

q8p68u967nng.jpg

"Fed up"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I still eat sugar. I just make sure it's in things that are really worth it now. I ditched the sugary drinks because I don't want to drink my calories (not filling at all). I stuck to protein shakes and Greek yogurt with fruit the first month or so, then added protein bars, then went back to eating cookies and chocolate in moderation.

It wasn't a huge deal for me. I find an apple just as satisfying nowadays if I want something sweet, and unless I REALLY want that dessert, I'll pass on it relatively easily. I still have a major sweet tooth, I'd just rather focus on what I'm really craving, and find lower calorie substitute (those Pillsbusy toaster strudels work wonders for me when I crave donuts and danishes, apparently!).
  • lshapard
    Options
    Here's a link to WebMD's 8 quick tips and 5 long term tips for curbing sugar addiction:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/13-ways-to-fight-sugar-cravings

Here's my experience with each of their tips, based on my personal trials, and I'd love to hear how, and if, any of these worked for you!

"Give in a Little," they recommend only having a little piece, or single bite, of the food that you're craving. I think--as number one on their list--this is an epic fail. You wouldn't tell an alcoholic to just take one sip, would you? How about a meth addict to only take one hit? This method DID NOT work for me at all, ever. I had a dietitian once say that "research" indicated that people really only crave the first bite, which is where the logic for this comes from. This might be true for some people, but for sugar maniacs like myself? I've never, ever had a giant slice of double chocolate cake in front of me and not finished it. And I've never, ever only taken the small "sliver" of cake from the platter. Never. Will power be damned, just don't do it. Eat an apple.

"Combine Foods," they recommend dipping a banana in chocolate or adding something sweet to an otherwise healthy snack choice. This has worked for me 25% of the time when the "sweet" item was self limiting: like honey in oatmeal, for instance--when you can't really add more because you're at Panera and they don't let you. But don't buy the Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Roasted Almonds, because you'll eat the whole package in three days. Or three hours. This one sounds like too much temptation, but it's possible if you're a rock star.

"Go Cold Turkey," they recommend going cold turkey on azucar. Pretty straight forward. This is the only thing that worked for me. Period. It IS hard. It IS drastic for those really addicted to sugar and I DID feel like crap, dizzy, sweaty and GRUMPY as all get out. I wasn't kind, I wasn't articulate and I wasn't capable of handling any kind of stress for three days. But I drank a lot of water and I did it. And it worked. And it felt so good to get over that beastly hump. I'll do it again if I have to--but I'll pay the bills, ramp up my Netflix and send the kids to their grandparents for the weekend first.

"Grab some gum," they recommend chewing gum to avert sugar cravings. Sure. Try it. It's recommended for morning sickness too, but I still barfed for twenty weeks. But you can give it a shot. I end up chewing piece after piece until I get a cavity and my dentist sends a kickback to Wrigley--plus most chewing gum has artificial sweetener in it which just annoys me. The "fake" sugar movement roots itself in sweetness, when super sweet stuff just tastes gross and artificial. Sugar addiction is more than having a sweet tooth.

"Reach for Fruit," they recommend eating healthy sugars instead of refined sugar. YEEEESSS!! This is totally going to work! It works EVERY.SINGLE.TIME. Bananas, apples, oranges and grapes are staples in my house. Plus, they have a bunch of other great stuff like antioxidants! But here's the clincher: IT IS STILL SUGAR. It's not a freebie. You can eat too much sugar this way too. Just be careful.

"Get up and Go," is their recommendation for distracting oneself from a craving through physical activity, I'll admit, this one is tricky. For me, this seems to be time-dependent, not intensity dependent, but I can see it swing either way. This works for me when I take a long (30 minute or more) walk outside, but it doesn't work if I do 15 air squats or a few push ups or jump-n-jacks. But simply wandering out of the house for 30 minutes to stroll away from a sugar craving isn't always an option with two young kids in the house. So, it totally works for me when there's time and opportunity for it to work. But try the high-intensity burst--it might work for you.

"Choose quality over Quantity," is their recommendation to chose one really decadent snack to savor over a long period of time. My answer: Yeah right. You're kidding yourself if you think you can do this and not drive to the corner store two hours later and buy a Snickers. I totally will become a raging sugar monster after slowly savoring a decadent delight when that high dwindles. Bad idea. (Although, in the defense of this item, I have been able to do this when out to eat with colleagues, but not at home and in "real" life).

"Eat regularly," is self-explanatory and very effective for me. I know that huge gaps between meals means ONE thing for me: savagely demolishing the-first-thing-I-see...and when I"m really hungry, I only "see" a cream cheese danish and coffee cake. Plus, there is something about maintaining insulin levels and preventing highs and lows. I'm not a dietitian or doctor, but that's also important in preventing sugar cravings.

"Skip artificial sweeteners," is their first long-term strategy. I totally agree. They're gross and they don't address the real problem of sugar addiction/craving. I will admit that some high protein bars like "Quest" and "Think Thin" don't bother me, but mostly they all taste too sweet.

"Reward Yourself," is a vague recommendation of theirs. Here's my two cents: Sure! Reward yourself! But first, isn't the weight loss reward enough? And second, don't reward yourself with a bearclaw. Just don't.

"Slow Down," is a recommendation to reflect on what you're actually eating--to be mindful--and to plan. Another too vague recommendation, but I'll say that when I really reflect on when I have a craving, I am better able to avoid it deal with the real problem, and be successful. This is a great recommendation for the LONG term, as it's designed, because it helps build mindfulness, and I am constantly trying to build this foundation. In contrast, I have found that trying to think myself out of eating the Cinnamon-Sugar Bagel with honey cream cheese when it's sitting on my plate makes me feel guilty, and I promptly follow it up with a nice cherry smoothie. Focusing on failure never helped me, but getting the gears spinning before the breakdown does help a lot. Also, it is true that when I PLAN my meals in advance, I do much, much better.

"Get Support." Yes. Post here. Call a friend. Text a joke. Read an inspirational story. But don't go to Pinterest OR Facebook. No. No. No. You'll only feel bad for not making an 18 tier birthday cake for your four year old and that you're not on vacation like everyone else. In bikinis. Drinking Pina Coladas.

"Mix it Up," is their suggestion to not get married to one technique because your coping strategies may change over time (this is liberal ad-libbing), but different strategies may work at different times. Generally, I'd say this makes sense, but consider the chaos of constantly trying different things when you're in the thick of sugar Hell. I've tried using a lot of different techniques and I've found that I respond well to a consistent few: cold turkey, self reflection, distraction and planning. I have also experienced failure from trying too many things at once. If you tried every one of the 8 quick tips above at the same time, you'd be having the first bite of a snack, fruit, and one decadent dessert too. That's not going to work. That's just relabeling addiction as dieting.

The gum suggestion reminded me of another morning sickness remedy that DOES work wonders about 75% of the time: brush your teeth and then drink really cold water. It helped me then, and it works most of the time now. And my dentist has fewer recommended procedures.
  • lshapard
    Options
    @Francl27, great idea to really focus on the craving and subbing a healthier version! That's the kind of focus on mindful eating that would really help me, rather than just trying to avoid it altogether!
  • lshapard
    Options
    @DisneyDude85, for sure!
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Looks like somebody is...

q8p68u967nng.jpg

"Fed up"

BOOM!

• annnastasia6776
    annnastasia6776 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am highly addicted to sugar, I can't have any kind of candy or sweets in the house, if I get 1 bite I will eat it all, I can't help it no mater how hard I try. I am actually proud of myself, we have Halloween candy in the house right now and I haven't touched it, but I've been off sugar for almost 2 weeks now, if I hadn't already started purging it from my body all that chocolate would be gone. I also have to be careful of bread but for me it's mainly the candy, the pure sugar, that gets me.

I also can't have fruit as I have a sensitivity to citric acid, so I can't use that as a go to for sweets (though I really wish I could eat a strawberry or pineapple sometimes)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am highly addicted to sugar, I can't have any kind of candy or sweets in the house, if I get 1 bite I will eat it all, I can't help it no mater how hard I try. I am actually proud of myself, we have Halloween candy in the house right now and I haven't touched it, but I've been off sugar for almost 2 weeks now, if I hadn't already started purging it from my body all that chocolate would be gone. I also have to be careful of bread but for me it's mainly the candy, the pure sugar, that gets me.

I also can't have fruit as I have a sensitivity to citric acid, so I can't use that as a go to for sweets (though I really wish I could eat a strawberry or pineapple sometimes)

It's a thought process. I don't think you are addicted to sugar, as you think. Do you have white sugar or brown sugar in the house? If so, do you eat spoonsful of sugar to get your fix? That's addictive behavior. Eating candy or sweets without exercising self-control is exhibiting a lack of will power. you are already taking steps over that by not having them in the house - but now you say you have Halloween candy in the house and you aren't eating that, so again, addiction isn't the issue - you've just strengthened your willpower. You've made different choices in how you want to eat.
    Perhaps eventually you'll learn how to practice moderation, by allowing yourself a single serving at a time of a sweet or candy, knowing that you can have more the next day.
  • rguzame
    rguzame Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try magnesium it really helped me I don't crave sugar like I used too (wanting something sweet after EVERY meal). Now I just have a few bites and I'm good. I take it before bed because it's a natural muscle relaxer and I sleep better too! Good luck- sugar is just like any other addiction it takes work to overcome it and unfortunately it's hiding everywhere
    :(
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I have issues with moderating sugars and carbs. I find it very difficult to have just one, and felt my issues with sugar were addiction like.

To counter it, I gave up almost all sugar. I treated it like an addiction. On most days I have less than 5g of sugar, and on many days I have none. I eat a LCHF diet so it isn't hard to go without any when following my macros. Sure it was tough for the first week, but it's been very easy ever since.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    There's 5 grams of sugars in 100 grams of broccoli plus 100 grams of zucchini, which aren't even high sugar veg. Given that recommendations are 5-7 servings of veg and fruit (I think serving sizes for veg are small, so tend to get more), I think promoting less than 5 grams of sugar is unhealthy.

I also would like to see evidence that anyone has "addiction" issues with broccoli or zucchini. Like a scientific study or something.
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have issues with moderating sugars and carbs. I find it very difficult to have just one, and felt my issues with sugar were addiction like.

To counter it, I gave up almost all sugar. I treated it like an addiction. On most days I have less than 5g of sugar, and on many days I have none. I eat a LCHF diet so it isn't hard to go without any when following my macros. Sure it was tough for the first week, but it's been very easy ever since.

My doctor has me on a low sugar diet which IS GREAT,Except if I go too low. Say 10 grams, chances are not enough fibre that day from green leafy veg. If I have not eaten enough green leafy veg to get sufficient fibre then that has rather uncomfortable consequences. Fortunately, I am not a sugar addict, but have even less desire for it with stable blood sugars.. plenty on Glycemic Index of food out there for those interested. Stick to low GI as a start.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My problem with sugar is soda! It's one of the only bad habits I still have. I only have a few a week, and I've overall switched to diet, but I just can't seem to kick it from my diet entirely. Especially when I get headaches from not having it... #whitegirlproblems
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    From my experience, people fail on sugar restriction because it's one extreme to another. While the WHO and other organizations tout 25 grams of sugar max per day, I focus more on IF they want more than that, they better have a plan to utilize the energy if it's excess. At 4 calories a gram, 100 calories (25 grams) isn't that hard to burn off. A good 1.5 mile brisk walk can do that. I have clients that consume 75 grams (300 calories) or more and many burn that off in an hour of good intense exercise.
    Of course balancing out macro/micro nutrients matter too, but I don't believe sugar is as bad as it's made out to be. The issue is ALWAYS with over consumption of it leading to surplus calories which results in weight gain.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's really not that hard to cut sugary treats IF that is what you really want to do. It's hard! But it's not, "OMG, this is impossible!" hard. Fruit is a very yummy way to satisfy the sweet tooth. The cookies and stuff - that's just mind over matter and can be done IF you really want to do it.

If you really, REALLY want to cut the sugary treats, you will! If you don't want it that much, you won't. And it's cool. You don't have to cut them out. You're not a terrible person or a failure if you choose to eat a cookie, so don't get down on yourself. No tears over Oreos, please. ;)

People get this idea in their heads that what they've eaten is out of their control. They think that they didn't want those Nutty Bars, but something snapped and they ate them against their will. It's a big mistake, IMO. Until you admit that you are 100% in control of what you eat, you will never be able to change anything. So next time you're having that donut, remind yourself - with every bite - that you're choosing to eat it. Say it silently (or even out loud, if you're alone) to yourself: "I'm chosing to eat this brownie." Every bite.

It's only when you realize that you make choices that you can choose between eating or not eating something. As long as you allow yourself to feel that your hand is like an alien hand that puts food into your mouth against your will, the cycle will repeat. You break that cycle by taking charge.

Look into eating a balanced diet with lots of different fruits and veggies. Get all those micronutrients you need. I have found that the more balanced my diet is, the fewer cravings I have. I've talked with other people IRL who've had the same experience.

DO NOT CUT ALL THE SUGAR because you've heard it's bad for you. Sugar isn't bad for you. You need sugar. Even if you managed to eat absolutely none, your body would start making it's own because you cannot live without it. You cannot eliminate sugar from your body because it is vital for life. Some people want to force their body to make it's own sugar and that's their choice (to be respected!), but if the goal is to eliminate sugar...that's just not physically possible. So, don't worry about eating it. You need it to live.

Sugar is required. Fruits and veggies give us sugar and carbs that turn into sugar. They also give us vitamins and minerals that we also need and fiber we can use. Those are "good carbs" for sure. That's healthy eating.

Don't worry about including fruits and veggies in your diet. They're good for you.

Sugar can be part of healthy, balanced diet.

...and berries taste good! :)
  • SamandaIndia
    SamandaIndia Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Agree with above post, except if you have Candida then that would be a great reason for a short term skip of all added sugars, root veggies and high sugar fruits like Apples. Berries are best fibre to sugar ratio. OP, have you tried eating mindfully ? It involves acknowledging your choice to eat something and smelling it, savouring it in your mouth and generally fully experiencing your bite of food before swallowing it. Sounds extreme but that will help your mind acknowledge it is eating something amazing. Tastes better, and worth a try a few times (not every day). Bests inhaling food and not chewing enough to get digestion started, which if I crave something or am stressed can be my reaction.
    Hope those 2 ideas help.
  • Tennisskater
    Tennisskater Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have a sugar addiction. It used to be not uncommon for me to eat an entire box of red licorice from trader joes. It is like cocaine to me, that feeling of eating the the chewy sweetness, it tastes so good and you think you can do anything...well for 30 minutes, and then you come crashing down
    I have to take out refined sugar as completely as I can. It still has a way of sneaking in through BBQ sauce, low sugar cereals, etc. I do not count fruit yet, I need that now for the time being. But no muffins, granola bars, protein bars. I use stevia and fresh fruit in my protein shakes and that doesn't seem to cause a problem for me. A lot of dried fruit has added sugar too...ugh!

Those of us addicted to refined sugar, know who we are and attacking that addiction is more important than the calories. I can have sugar items in the house now and I am okay with it, I have to let my family live, they are not addicted like I am. I can even make brownies now!

My top tips are:
    1. I have a mantra..a short thing to keep in the head so I don't even pick up a morsel...mine is "I know what that tastes like and I don't need it". Or "I don't eat those" or "make another choice"

2. Many times, I am tired and looking for sugar to pep me up...if I can I take a power nap for 15 min otherwise...coffee or green tea

3. No more diet soda...that's just opens up a terrible door for me somehow

4. If you are going through detox...I got some sweet fruit to replace the refined sugar, for me it was grapes, once the detox was over, I didn't need grapes anymore. I planned my detox just like if I was an alcoholic...it was awful, but feels so great now!

My opinion is if you have a sugar addiction AND overweight, then tackle the sugar addiction first. You will have more energy and nutrients in your body to be able to work out and stay healthy.

5. Repeat from up above...brush your teeth :)

6. Be good friends with skinny popcorn!

Some of you reading this are baffled why some of us are serious about taking out the sugar.....i am sure there are studies to back up and refute sugar addiction. I am just saying that after taking it out, I am so much happier and healthier! :)
  • BerttiBott
    BerttiBott Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with avoiding sugar as well. Even produce contains vast amounts of it..a couple of carrots here, a little tomato there, a plum, and a nosh of an apple and I've consumed more the double the 20 gram limit even if there are no other sources of sugar present. I give up.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's 5 grams of sugars in 100 grams of broccoli plus 100 grams of zucchini, which aren't even high sugar veg. Given that recommendations are 5-7 servings of veg and fruit (I think serving sizes for veg are small, so tend to get more), I think promoting less than 5 grams of sugar is unhealthy.

I also would like to see evidence that anyone has "addiction" issues with broccoli or zucchini. Like a scientific study or something.

Gotta agree with Lemur.