Overcoming Sugar Addiction

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    smh addicted to sugar...really people...if you eat onions, carrots, fruit, drink milk you are not addicted to sugar...

and
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's 5 grams of sugars in 100 grams of broccoli plus 100 grams of zucchini, which aren't even high sugar veg. Given that recommendations are 5-7 servings of veg and fruit (I think serving sizes for veg are small, so tend to get more), I think promoting less than 5 grams of sugar is unhealthy.

I also would like to see evidence that anyone has "addiction" issues with broccoli or zucchini. Like a scientific study or something.

this x2
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    There's 5 grams of sugars in 100 grams of broccoli plus 100 grams of zucchini, which aren't even high sugar veg. Given that recommendations are 5-7 servings of veg and fruit (I think serving sizes for veg are small, so tend to get more), I think promoting less than 5 grams of sugar is unhealthy.

I also would like to see evidence that anyone has "addiction" issues with broccoli or zucchini. Like a scientific study or something.

Gotta agree with Lemur.

I don't have a scientific study that tells me why some foods make me feel like I did when I smoked cigarettes and couldn't smoke one because of circumstances like being on a plane.

It would be wonderful if others could post their experiences without the people who don't feel this way coming in to derail the conversation by saying it's impossible to be addicted because we aren't eating out of the sugar bowl.

If you have ever taken a basic statistics class you would know that study results can be manipulated in many different ways.

This is going to be another thread that gets closed or taken over by arguing. Very discouraging and not fair to the MFP members who would like to talk and read about being out of control with food.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Yes, I realize that you think that...
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I have issues with moderating sugars and carbs. I find it very difficult to have just one, and felt my issues with sugar were addiction like.

To counter it, I gave up almost all sugar. I treated it like an addiction. On most days I have less than 5g of sugar, and on many days I have none. I eat a LCHF diet so it isn't hard to go without any when following my macros. Sure it was tough for the first week, but it's been very easy ever since.

My doctor has me on a low sugar diet which IS GREAT,Except if I go too low. Say 10 grams, chances are not enough fibre that day from green leafy veg. If I have not eaten enough green leafy veg to get sufficient fibre then that has rather uncomfortable consequences. Fortunately, I am not a sugar addict, but have even less desire for it with stable blood sugars.. plenty on Glycemic Index of food out there for those interested. Stick to low GI as a start.

Adding oils like coconut oil or fatty foods like nuts will help things get moving. It actually works better for me than fibre, and multiple fibre supplements, ever did for me.

Everybody is different. :)
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »

Gotta agree with Lemur.

I don't have a scientific study that tells me why some foods make me feel like I did when I smoked cigarettes and couldn't smoke one because of circumstances like being on a plane.

It would be wonderful if others could post their experiences without the people who don't feel this way coming in to derail the conversation by saying it's impossible to be addicted because we aren't eating out of the sugar bowl.

If you have ever taken a basic statistics class you would know that study results can be manipulated in many different ways.

This is going to be another thread that gets closed or taken over by arguing. Very discouraging and not fair to the MFP members who would like to talk and read about being out of control with food.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-sugar-addiction

try looking through this.

AS well to compare a craving to an actual addiction is tantamount to saying "just give up the meth...but remember if you want to consume it in another form go ahead it's okay it won't effect you that much and you won't be addicted again"

ie milk, cooked carrots, cooked onions, starches etc.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Gotta agree with Lemur.

Personally I don't think it is unfair and discouraging to point out that the fact that there is sugar in MANY products, both added sugars and naturally occurring, and because of that, it is impossible to quit sugar, and that refutes the concept of being addicted to sugar. For me, it is encouraging to know that I'm in control of my actions, not a substance. That I can choose to limit my intake of sugar, but that ultimately it is up to me to decide whether or not I can continue to eat sugar - whether it be in milk, vegetables, fruit, bbq sauce, or baked goods - not that these food items have some power over me.

I actually agree with a lot of what @Kalikel said upthread on this topic of being in control of your choices, that THAT is empowering.

• Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Gotta agree with Lemur.

Personally I don't think it is unfair and discouraging to point out that the fact that there is sugar in MANY products, both added sugars and naturally occurring, and because of that, it is impossible to quit sugar, and that refutes the concept of being addicted to sugar. For me, it is encouraging to know that I'm in control of my actions, not a substance. That I can choose to limit my intake of sugar, but that ultimately it is up to me to decide whether or not I can continue to eat sugar - whether it be in milk, vegetables, fruit, bbq sauce, or baked goods - not that these food items have some power over me.

I actually agree with a lot of what @Kalikel said upthread on this topic of being in control of your choices, that THAT is empowering.

This. I started succeeding at this whole thing once I got my mind in the right place, and a big part of that was realizing I control the foods I eat, it doesn't control me. I refuse to give food any power over me anymore and in the process I've lost the extra weight, improved my health and am now successfully maintaining.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's really not that hard to cut sugary treats IF that is what you really want to do. It's hard! But it's not, "OMG, this is impossible!" hard. Fruit is a very yummy way to satisfy the sweet tooth. The cookies and stuff - that's just mind over matter and can be done IF you really want to do it.

I agree with this post. I prefer including a moderate amount of some dessert-type stuff in my diet, but I cut it out for a while and do on occasion if I find I'm slipping into bad habits, and it's really not that tough, and if someone finds it helps them to do it more permanently I think that can certainly be a sensible choice for that person. It's a matter of fighting an expectation or habit for a bit and being mindful about why you are doing it. I find for me I'm more likely to overeat (or have a harder time moderating) when I don't force myself to be conscious of eating (that's why logging can be useful, in part, and pre-planning) and when I am in situations where I am used to eating certain things. If you just really want to eat something it can be nice to have an alternative (I used raw veg, but will substitute fruit as a dessert if I'm cutting added sugar, or something else that seems indulgent, like cheese).
    People get this idea in their heads that what they've eaten is out of their control. They think that they didn't want those Nutty Bars, but something snapped and they ate them against their will. It's a big mistake, IMO. Until you admit that you are 100% in control of what you eat, you will never be able to change anything. So next time you're having that donut, remind yourself - with every bite - that you're choosing to eat it. Say it silently (or even out loud, if you're alone) to yourself: "I'm chosing to eat this brownie." Every bite.

I really like this idea.

What I did when I was changing habits (and struggling with emotional eating) was force myself to journal a bit whenever I was tempted to eat off plan (by which I mean snacking, since I tend to eat really well at meals). Doing so would make me conscious of what I was doing and why I wanted to and almost always I'd decide to just do something else and wait for my next meal. (Planned snacks would work as meals, but I tend to be someone who likes bigger meals and no snacks. Works easier with the types of foods I like to eat too.)
    Look into eating a balanced diet with lots of different fruits and veggies. Get all those micronutrients you need. I have found that the more balanced my diet is, the fewer cravings I have. I've talked with other people IRL who've had the same experience.

Related to this, I almost always crave something I'd rather not eat when I'm overly hungry, like if I don't get to have lunch and get home late for dinner and am starving (well, I feel like I am), then I will be much more tempted to order a pizza or Indian food than usual (or in theory skip dinner and just have ice cream, although I tend to be more of a savory person so that's less common). In this situation if I just cook something fast and easy (like a vegetable omelet, my standby fast and easy meal) I find I'm satisfied with it and the desire goes away.
    Don't worry about including fruits and veggies in your diet. They're good for you.

Sugar can be part of healthy, balanced diet.

...and berries taste good! :)

Couldn't agree more.
  • lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    smh addicted to sugar...really people...if you eat onions, carrots, fruit, drink milk you are not addicted to sugar...

and

this x2

@sezxyStef et al.
    It is true that you can be addicted to refined sugar and similar substances, and I know that I am. This is not an issue of getting natural sugars from natural foods, but an issue of having intense, psychologically driven and physically rewarded, cravings for foods with refined sugar. Because excessive sugar intake is so normalized in our food culture, it might sound absurd. But there are very real chemical changes that occur in the brain when we metabolize refined sugar, and there are some of us, luckily for you--not you, that do seriously struggle with our own will and our own addiction to it. Sure, we're not heroin addicts, addicted to cigarettes or alcohol, but white refined sugar (and some other compounds, like high fructose corn syrup, for instance) can eclipse one's will and sense of control quite significantly. Certainly, some people are addicted to shopping, to anger, to working out, so we can't qualify the behavior based on the substance.

I have heard "that's ridiculous" from others that don't identify because maybe they cope with their feelings in a totally healthy way and cannot possibly understand that sugar-based foods are an addictive coping mechanism. But most people aren't the best at coping with stress, etc. And a good look at the people around you should reveal that everyone copes differently...and it's not always healthy. I don't suffer like alcoholics, and I haven't lost anything other than some tooth enamel over the years, and thank goodness I haven't developed Diabetes. But if I keep my lifestyle up, I will. The thing is, this isn't about VOLUME or Calories, or even grams (Those are measures we can use as evidence for success), and it isn't about WILL POWER. It's about digging deep to figure out why those cravings exist. And they're very strong cravings. I KNOW what the toddler screaming-red in the candy aisle feels like. I feel that all the time, and I am not immature or uneducated or lazy and if you see my grocery cart, you'd think I was a foodie-health-nut-rockstar. But I have simply developed a very poor--and passive aggressive--way of handling stress. I have spent a Sunday avoiding cookies in my pantry--and feeling great about it--only to go to work Monday and literally think about the cookies ALL DAY LONG. The thought was so consuming I don't even know what I accomplished that day. That's not unusual.

You can make fun of it, brush it off, think it's totally absurd. But it's true. And it's not true just for me. A lot of people eat their emotions away and a lot of people feel an incredible desire to satisfy their stress with the reward of sugar. It's not fair to smack your head in incredulity about something it is clear you don't understand.
    The point is to bring forward a conversation between those looking for support. Because during those intensely stressful moments when the only thing I want is to eat four chocolate bars, I have always wanted someone to say, "Christ, I know exactly what that's like."

So, if you think its absurd, cool. Live and let live. If you hear this is and say, "Christ, I know exactly what that's like," please keep talking.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2235907/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4361030/

not a true source, but:
    http://www.cheatsheet.com/life/sugar-addiction-is-real-and-heres-how-it-happens.html/?a=viewall

While this suggests that sucrose is not addictive based on animal modeling (but a premise was that sucrose would be preferential in binge eating, which is poorly defined):
    http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0261561409002398
  • lshapard
    Options
    @rguzame , that sounds like a great idea, will try it. I've heard of having Mag levels checked too. Maybe something to ask a nutritionist or dietician if any are on and want to weigh in?
    @ninerbuff ?
  • lshapard
    Options
    I know how you feel, I am highly addicted to sugar, I can't have any kind of candy or sweets in the house, if I get 1 bite I will eat it all, I can't help it no mater how hard I try. I am actually proud of myself, we have Halloween candy in the house right now and I haven't touched it, but I've been off sugar for almost 2 weeks now, if I hadn't already started purging it from my body all that chocolate would be gone. I also have to be careful of bread but for me it's mainly the candy, the pure sugar, that gets me.

I also can't have fruit as I have a sensitivity to citric acid, so I can't use that as a go to for sweets (though I really wish I could eat a strawberry or pineapple sometimes)

Strong work on the Halloween Candy!! My kids are so young I pilfered a chunk of their stashes out to the other kids in the group without them knowing! ;) Once they're old enough to notice, I'll defer to respecting their property as a way to logically avoid the candy!
    Can you have low citric acid fruits, like a banana or apple or mango in moderation? I know when I use fruit as a bandaid, its because I need something fast and easy.

Any ideas for fast, easy non-fruit alternatives out there?
    @nvmomketo?

@anl90 , the headaches are crazy bad for a few days when you detox from sugar, but the caffeine as well! Motrin and loads of water always helped for me to get through it.

@BerttiBott, don't give up!! Look into net carbs and the glycemic index!! You won't feel so bad once you realize that you really AREN'T overdoing it with those great foods!!

@Kalikel , I really, really LOVE the suggestion to say out loud, "I choose to eat this," making accountability vocal. And resourcing mindful eating. I do think not everyone has the psycho-emotional resources to assign will power alone to kicking sugar, but your suggestion is right on. Thank you!

And I agree, that less than 5 grams of sugar a day (net or gross) is very unhealthy. We do need it for regular metabolic function and it is important to get the necessary amount for a healthy lifestyle.
    I've always aimed for 25 and landed between 30-40 and my doctor was totally fine with that (MY doctor, yours might not be, I don't have any comorbidities). Personally, at 25g/day (net), I felt really, really bad. It could be a reflection of my always-on-the-move lifestyle too.
  • lshapard
    Options
    @SamandaIndia , working on the mindfulness! :) Thank you!

@Tennisskater I HEAR YOU!! I'm happy to hear of your success! Make BROWNIES? I ate an entire tray of rice krispie treats not too long ago...in a single day. Strong work, keep it up! I really like your mantra, "I know..." That is part of the mindfulness too, I think. To be always of aware of what you KNOW, right?
  • lshapard
    Options
    The 2015 Dietary Guidelines indicate that 10% or less than one's total calorie intake should be from sugar, so there's not a specific number of grams-per-day, but a general guideline to follow (page 9).

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/PDFs/Scientific-Report-of-the-2015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf
  • SezxyStef
    Options

gambling/shopping/sex "addiction" is not classed like drug addictions..

and based on this study

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29126872

It is a "mental disorder" or "behavioural disorder" similar to that of gambling...so perhaps instead of touting studies that about rats and blogs that mean nothing...

Look at contradictory evidence and supportive studies that used humans...not rodents.

conditioning...Pavlov dog

"Prof Suzanne Dickson, of Gothenburg University and co-ordinator of the NeuroFAST project, said: "There has been a major debate over whether sugar is addictive.

"There is currently very little evidence to support the idea that any ingredient, food item, additive or combination of ingredients has addictive properties."
  • goldshotc
    goldshotc Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I LOVE sweets, but I've made myself alot more picky. If someone brings grocery store donuts to work (which is usually what they bring because it's cheaper), I don't partake because they just aren't as fresh as Krispy Kreme. The rare occasions when someone DOES bring Krispy Kreme, I can't resist because it tastes SOOO much better than the grocery store crap. Also, store bought cakes & cookies don't cut it anymore - it's gotta be homemade so that it doesn't have that chemical taste. I had cut myself down to 1 coke a month, but I actually haven't had one in about 3 months & I don't miss it. I'm nowhere near ready to cut out red wine - that's just crazy talk! But I only have a couple of glasses a week now. For those of you who have cut out all added sugars - y'all are my heroes!!!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lshapard wrote: »
    @Francl27, great idea to really focus on the craving and subbing a healthier version! That's the kind of focus on mindful eating that would really help me, rather than just trying to avoid it altogether!

I think I can call myself addicted to sugar as well. I can only handle this, by cutting all carbhydrates to below 20g/day, and making sure insulin is low and stable by eating predominantly fats and moderate protein (ketogenic). I've tried a number of strategies, mindful eating amongst others, and high protein low carb, but this is the only approach that works.

The analogy isn't altogether accurate, but in my case, people who tell me I can eat "a little bit of sugar" are like people who suggest "just a small drink" to an alcoholic. I learned that the hard way and my health suffered for it.
  • lshapard
    Options
    I believe that I've said from the very beginning that it is a psychologically driven problem that is physically rewarding.

Basic understanding of conditioning behaviors, as in Pavlov's dog, hardly broach the complexity of the issue, and to reduce complex issues as such is insulting. And if/once you have kids, you'll realize that Pavlov had really, really obedient dogs. Life just doesn't work in such a superficial way.

Your suggestion to meta-out the issue with human studies suggests that you have never had the joyful and exhilarating experience of approaching an IRB with a research proposal. Human studies are very hard to do, especially in the US. And studies on neuro-anything--especially drugs (as in medicine)--are done in rats first. This is not inappropriate science at all. However, it appears I must clarify that the studies were provided as food-for-thought into the strength of the physical reward, not to relay evidence for the psychological base of the issue (although they are more interconnected than you think).
  • lshapard
    Options
    goldshotc wrote: »
    I LOVE sweets, but I've made myself alot more picky. If someone brings grocery store donuts to work (which is usually what they bring because it's cheaper), I don't partake because they just aren't as fresh as Krispy Kreme. The rare occasions when someone DOES bring Krispy Kreme, I can't resist because it tastes SOOO much better than the grocery store crap. Also, store bought cakes & cookies don't cut it anymore - it's gotta be homemade so that it doesn't have that chemical taste. I had cut myself down to 1 coke a month, but I actually haven't had one in about 3 months & I don't miss it. I'm nowhere near ready to cut out red wine - that's just crazy talk! But I only have a couple of glasses a week now. For those of you who have cut out all added sugars - y'all are my heroes!!!

I think I need some wine!! LOL ;)
    I once successfully used your method too, @goldshotc, of being ultra picky about the sweets, thanks for the reminder!
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options

@lemurcat12 I think this person is addicted to broccoli lmao: http://paleomg.com/paleo-broccoli-fritters/
  • lshapard
    Options
    lodro wrote: »
    @Francl27, great idea to really focus on the craving and subbing a healthier version! That's the kind of focus on mindful eating that would really help me, rather than just trying to avoid it altogether!

The analogy isn't altogether accurate, but in my case, people who tell me I can eat "a little bit of sugar" are like people who suggest "just a small drink" to an alcoholic. I learned that the hard way and my health suffered for it.

@lodro, I agree. It's too hard to say just one little x. I do find too, that really fatty nuts can hold me out pretty far.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    lodro wrote: »

@lodro, I agree. It's too hard to say just one little x. I do find too, that really fatty nuts can hold me out pretty far.

But oh, how I wanted to believe them!