Overcoming Sugar Addiction

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think this thread would be a useful (albeit long) read for many posting in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1
  • lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

But oh, how I wanted to believe them![/quote]

Yep. Like Santa. :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lshapard wrote: »
    The 2015 Dietary Guidelines indicate that 10% or less than one's total calorie intake should be from sugar, so there's not a specific number of grams-per-day, but a general guideline to follow (page 9).

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/PDFs/Scientific-Report-of-the-2015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf

It's added sugar, though (see p. 9). I personally try to follow the WHO's 5% most days (there are days I don't, and days I eat much less), but I don't worry about sugar from fruit, vegetables, or lactose at all. My own diet isn't super fruit heavy, though, so I don't have to worry about crowding out other foods or the calories in them. I tend to like local, seasonal fruit best, so eat more in the summer, lots of apples at this time of year, and berries all year 'round (because they seem to be more consistently available). Bananas throughout the year too, although more occasionally. (Yes, probably more than you need to know.) ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    edited November 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    There's 5 grams of sugars in 100 grams of broccoli plus 100 grams of zucchini, which aren't even high sugar veg. Given that recommendations are 5-7 servings of veg and fruit (I think serving sizes for veg are small, so tend to get more), I think promoting less than 5 grams of sugar is unhealthy.

I also would like to see evidence that anyone has "addiction" issues with broccoli or zucchini. Like a scientific study or something.

@lemurcat12 I think this person is addicted to broccoli lmao: http://paleomg.com/paleo-broccoli-fritters/

Heh, I might have to try that recipe. (The author has been a guest on a podcast I listen to, maybe more than one, but I always forget to check that site for new recipes.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I think this thread would be a useful (albeit long) read for many posting in this thread.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

I second this.

Another good (and IMO relevant) read is The Power of Habit, by Charles Duhrigg.
  • lshapard
    Options
    The 2015 Dietary Guidelines indicate that 10% or less than one's total calorie intake should be from sugar, so there's not a specific number of grams-per-day, but a general guideline to follow (page 9).

http://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015-scientific-report/PDFs/Scientific-Report-of-the-2015-Dietary-Guidelines-Advisory-Committee.pdf

It's added sugar, though (see p. 9). I personally try to follow the WHO's 5% most days (there are days I don't, and days I eat much less), but I don't worry about sugar from fruit, vegetables, or lactose at all. My own diet isn't super fruit heavy, though, so I don't have to worry about crowding out other foods or the calories in them. I tend to like local, seasonal fruit best, so eat more in the summer, lots of apples at this time of year, and berries all year 'round (because they seem to be more consistently available). Bananas throughout the year too, although more occasionally. (Yes, probably more than you need to know.) ;-)

Thank you for pointing that out. Yes, they were explicit in the "added sugars" label. I try not to get too hung up on natural sugar from fruit and veggies with natural fiber anyway.
    Bananas are a weakness, so I actually only buy two at a time! (Now THAT is sad!!) I live in Michigan so we are finishing up apple season, and it's been a pretty delicious fall!
    I agree with you on not overloading worry on the fruits/veggies, we need everything they got!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Yes, please do read this - anyone who is claiming to be addicted to sugar, candy, or food of any kind. You will learn a lot, and it's worth the time to read.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Do you have white sugar or brown sugar in the house? If so, do you eat spoonsful of sugar to get your fix? That's addictive behavior.

<Sheepishly raises hand> A heaping tablespoon of brown sugar is delicious, the rush is to die for, and the desire to scoop another heaping tablespoon is almost overpowering. It's my personal Kryptonite. I have to treat stuff that is extremely high in sugar as if it were a drug. No issues with fruits or even most desserts (unless they're frosted). But straight-up sugar, candy, honey or jelly -- ai-yi-yi.
  • lshapard
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Do you have white sugar or brown sugar in the house? If so, do you eat spoonsful of sugar to get your fix? That's addictive behavior.

<Sheepishly raises hand> A heaping tablespoon of brown sugar is delicious, the rush is to die for, and the desire to scoop another heaping tablespoon is almost overpowering. It's my personal Kryptonite. I have to treat stuff that is extremely high in processed sugar as if it were a drug. No issues with fruits or even most desserts (unless they're frosted). But straight-up sugar and candy -- ai-yi-yi.

I hear you. When I was a kid (pre-literate), I remember seeing my dad use this giant tub of crystal-white icing over and over. Seeing it sit in the cupboard was like torture every time I opened it. One day, I snuck into the kitchen, climbed onto the counter, dug a HUGE spoonful out, shoved it into my mouth and ran into my bedroom.

It was lard. I quickly learned to read.

I do the same thing today, though. If, in a moment of garish self-inflating will power, I decide to buy icing, or powdered sugar (I make a killer buttercream) thinking I can handle it, I eventually regret it spoonful by spoonful.
    We try. Keep trying. Straight up.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    It's not been proven in humans that you can be addicted to food as a substance. For a fairly thorough discussion of this topic, please see this thread which includes links: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10226257/food-addiction-a-different-perspective/p1

The current thinking in the scientific community is that "addiction" to eating as a behavioral construct can exist. That thread explores the issue.

The difference between seeing your issue in light of a behavioral problem, whether you believe you pass or fall short of an addiction threshold, is in how you address it.

If you feel you're truly an eating addict, professional cognitive behavioral therapy is in order. If you are simply colloquially using the term, some self-help methods of behavior modification can work for you.

The most important thing in addressing any behavioral problem is to own that behavior, though. Blaming the substance when your real problem lies with eating will only lead you down a frustrating path. In other words, it's not really the food you're consistently reaching for, it's that you're consistently reaching for food.

Different people respond to different behavioral modification techniques. I personally found it helpful to analyze why and when I was reaching for my "trigger" foods, because knowing that enabled me to brainstorm ideas to avoid avoid/counteract those situations.
  • lshapard
    Options
    I appreciate the weigh-ins, but the goal and purpose of this IS for those who relate to the feeling to find support, discuss triggers and discuss strategies: Pragmatic, cognitive, behavioral, etc.

The utility of debating it's credence is testament to not really understanding the concept here.

I do think that using sugar as a coping strategy is a nasty, beastly addiction similar, but possibly more virulent, than other food addictions. Now, I don't have other things I reach for to really make a comparison, but I know what I feel when I "crave" sugar. And that is desperation. And it's a slippery slope to a lot of poor health choices.

So, it'd be really nice to have an engaging conversation with people similar to myself that feel this way, or those willing to lend an ear with an eye for constructive suggestion, than have to defend why eating 692 grams of sugar a day everyday is a sign of trouble and an emotional addiction. It's a problem.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the weigh-ins, but the goal and purpose of this IS for those who relate to the feeling to find support, discuss triggers and discuss strategies: Pragmatic, cognitive, behavioral, etc.

The utility of debating it's credence is testament to not really understanding the concept here.

I do think that using sugar as a coping strategy is a nasty, beastly addiction similar, but possibly more virulent, than other food addictions. Now, I don't have other things I reach for to really make a comparison, but I know what I feel when I "crave" sugar. And that is desperation. And it's a slippery slope to a lot of poor health choices.

So, it'd be really nice to have an engaging conversation with people similar to myself that feel this way, or those willing to lend an ear with an eye for constructive suggestion, than have to defend why eating 692 grams of sugar a day everyday is a sign of trouble and an emotional addiction. It's a problem.

Rather than sit in a circle and just talk about how you all continue to eat sugary candy, snacks and other foods, why wouldn't you want to discuss ways and means to work through the problem and find a solution? No one asking you to defend yourself if you do eat the sugary things every day. Admitting that you do it is a great step - now, rather than just holding hands with others and talking about how you all still do it, let's talk about how to defeat the behavior.
  • lshapard
    Options

Rather than sit in a circle and just talk about how you all continue to eat sugary candy, snacks and other foods, why wouldn't you want to discuss ways and means to work through the problem and find a solution? No one asking you to defend yourself if you do eat the sugary things every day. Admitting that you do it is a great step - now, rather than just holding hands with others and talking about how you all still do it, let's talk about how to defeat the behavior.

Exactly. As the post above said, it's intended for discussion of triggers and strategies...and...engaging conversation with constructive suggestions. I mean to ask those focused on the semantics of addiction and will power to either refocus or regroup where the discussion is more relevant to the purpose.
    I'm not particularly fond of hand-holding.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Did you read this thread?

• lemurcat12
    Options

That we don't call it "addiction" doesn't mean we don't relate to the feeling. I definitely have struggled with stress eating and emotional eating, and found the kinds of strategies discussed in the book I mentioned helpful.

I think talking about strategies is more important than the name it's called. There are reasons I find the addiction terminology unhelpful and misleading, but I don't mind if others use it. I just don't think that their eating issues are things I can't relate to because they have a different idea of what addiction is, probably.
  • lshapard
    Options
    Yes, it's helpful and informative but there's a distinction that should be made here: the intention is to be able to come here and vent, talk about it, create camaraderie among those that are currently struggling; and in direct contrast to the OP on that thread, and other posters as well, the intervening discussion of will power, reduction of our feelings toward it and assertion that it doesn't exist has totally undermined the purpose here. These conversations have been tracked off to the agenda of the posters on that thread. Literally, it states not to tell someone who believes that they are addicted to something, "no you're not," and that was the very suggestion made by the OP from that thread here.

As I've repeated ad nauseam, using sugar as the go-to is a psychologically driven problem--rewarded with a physical response. Therefore, I feel comfortable making the statement that I'm addicted to sugars. Anecdotally, I've talked to my physician. He agreed. I've talked to a dietician. She agreed. While some substances create physiological addiction (crack, alcohol) to a very high degree, sugar does it to a manageable degree. No big deal for most people. But what if your behavior becomes married to that feel good moment? What if seeking that feeling becomes habitual, what if it is psychologically addicting, and the repeated behavior begins to physically alter the lower curve of your threshold?

That's why I started this and made that statement. It's seems that I can't be clear enough that this was intended for discussions about getting on with it, not about the academic validity of our feelings.
    But I'll tell you what, the experience is repeatable--with the same outcome every time. Replicable results. And it's a pretty elegant design. That's validation enough for me in my life.
  • lshapard
    Options

That we don't call it "addiction" doesn't mean we don't relate to the feeling. I definitely have struggled with stress eating and emotional eating, and found the kinds of strategies discussed in the book I mentioned helpful.

I think talking about strategies is more important than the name it's called. There are reasons I find the addiction terminology unhelpful and misleading, but I don't mind if others use it. I just don't think that their eating issues are things I can't relate to because they have a different idea of what addiction is, probably.

Thank you. I did look the book up as well. Thanks.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Why isn't "understanding that sugar isn't addictive, doesn't have power over you, and is just like any other tempting food or behavior that must be managed" a strategy?

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's helpful and informative but there's a distinction that should be made here: the intention is to be able to come here and vent, talk about it, create camaraderie among those that are currently struggling;

What on earth does that accomplish? It doesn't move you forward to gaining control over behavior around food. People who over eat on sugar have a behavior problem. Food isn't the culprit.

I got all fired up about added sugars after watching Fed Up a couple years ago. I started down that path of trying to eradicate sugar from my diet and it was its own brand of madness. Very unnatural. Totally depressing.

I am grateful that the forums on MFP set me straight. The most liberating thing I learned from this site is that I don't have to demonize any food groups. Just knowing that gave me a starting point of power.

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

gambling/shopping/sex "addiction" is not classed like drug addictions..

and based on this study

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-29126872

It is a "mental disorder" or "behavioural disorder" similar to that of gambling...so perhaps instead of touting studies that about rats and blogs that mean nothing...

Look at contradictory evidence and supportive studies that used humans...not rodents.

conditioning...Pavlov dog

"Prof Suzanne Dickson, of Gothenburg University and co-ordinator of the NeuroFAST project, said: "There has been a major debate over whether sugar is addictive.

"There is currently very little evidence to support the idea that any ingredient, food item, additive or combination of ingredients has addictive properties."

So you are saying it is actually an eating addiction - interesting.