Deadlift Grip

Options
I've been doing my deadlifts with an overhand grip. I've noticed in many videos the lifter is using one over and one underhand. Is there a reason or benefit to this type of grip? Have I been doing it wrong?

Replies

• moribunny
    moribunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No, you're not doing it wrong. The main reason I know of for reverse grip (such as in my case) is it makes your grip stronger and thus makes it easier to go heavier.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    double overhand grip is the normal grip most people will use, there is nothing wrong with it if you can move the bar off the ground.

What you are seeing is people doing a mixed grip (one over, one under). This allows you to lift more because the bar rolls out of one hand and into the other. With the double overhand it just rolls out of both at once and you lose the bar.

There is also the hook grip (thumb under fingers) and that also increases how much you can lift by preventing the bar from rolling out of your fingers. I've tried using this, but don't find it comfortable and I have very tiny hands. I may work my way up to using this, but it is mixed grip for now for me.

One thing you can do is double overhand grip all of your warmup lifts, and then switch to a mix grip for your working set (or even once you fail in your working set). This allows you to work on grip strength and still increase your deadlift at the same time.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You're fine. I tend to do mixed grip (and switch reversed hands each set) because I have tiny hands and my grip isn't great.

If my grip is still failing before the rest of me I'll use straps and overhand grip because I sure as heck ain't competing.

nordlead covered it well.
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sounds good. Thanks all for the feedback.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    MikeDee_ny wrote: »
    I've been doing my deadlifts with an overhand grip. I've noticed in many videos the lifter is using one over and one underhand. Is there a reason or benefit to this type of grip? Have I been doing it wrong?

Mixed grip is for top sets when you are training for strength. If your sets are more than 5 reps you should use straps or overhand (pronated) grip. Mixed grip can cause muscle imbalance if it is used for hypertrophy (8-12 rep programs).
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Mixed grip is for top sets when you are training for strength. If your sets are more than 5 reps you should use straps or overhand (pronated) grip. Mixed grip can cause muscle imbalance if it is used for hypertrophy (8-12 rep programs).

I'm not disagreeing with you cuz you know your *kitten* too, my suggestion would just be to rotate the over/under grip (one week = left under / right over, next week left over, right under) to reduce those issues. When I deadlifted I rotated my over/under and it was never an issue for me.

Anecdotally I had read something, I believe on EliteFTS, a long while back that said if you're going to use a mixed grip to use it on all sets so your muscles are warmed-up before those top-sets. I don't have anything scientific to back that up but it seemed reasonable to me at the time. I want to say it was in-response to a question about biceps injuries related to mixed-grip deadlifting, but it was a few years back.

12-rep deadlifts, that's cardio! LOL j/k
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with you cuz you know your *kitten* too, my suggestion would just be to rotate the over/under grip (one week = left under / right over, next week left over, right under) to reduce those issues. When I deadlifted I rotated my over/under and it was never an issue for me. Anecdotally I had read something, I believe on EliteFTS, a long while back that said if you're going to use a mixed grip to use it on all sets so your muscles are warmed-up before those top-sets. I don't have anything scientific to back that up but it seemed reasonable to me at the time. I want to say it was in-response to a question about biceps injuries related to mixed-grip deadlifting, but it was a few years back.

Bicep injuries do happen in mixed grip. Sometimes it is a warm up issue and sometimes it's because people flex as though they are curling the bar (I do this on barbell rows).

I do all high rep now, so I just use straps.
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Mike....just impressed that you are doing DL. It's the King of weightlifting exercises, even better than squats. So regardless how you do them, hats off that you are doing them!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

I'm not disagreeing with you cuz you know your *kitten* too, my suggestion would just be to rotate the over/under grip (one week = left under / right over, next week left over, right under) to reduce those issues. When I deadlifted I rotated my over/under and it was never an issue for me. Anecdotally I had read something, I believe on EliteFTS, a long while back that said if you're going to use a mixed grip to use it on all sets so your muscles are warmed-up before those top-sets. I don't have anything scientific to back that up but it seemed reasonable to me at the time. I want to say it was in-response to a question about biceps injuries related to mixed-grip deadlifting, but it was a few years back.

Bicep injuries do happen in mixed grip. Sometimes it is a warm up issue and sometimes it's because people flex as though they are curling the bar (I do this on barbell rows).

I do all high rep now, so I just use straps.

Yeah, I ran into that issue with RDL's actually and somebody suggested I use straps too. That's the only time my straps see the light of day. lol
  • BklynFitGuy
    BklynFitGuy Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Thanks @TiberiusClaudis !!!! I'm doing Stronglifts 5x5
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i use mixed grip otherwise the bar will roll out of my hands.
  • kerbeya1
    kerbeya1 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Use over hand grip as much as you can to build grip strength don't use straps unless the weight is literally to heavy for you to hold. And switch to over under when you can't pull a weight with double over hand.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Nice article from T-Nation that discusses grip. Explains how to do a hook grip.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/tip-dont-use-a-mixed-grip-when-deadlifting
  • ovidnine
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

My hands literally are not big enough to do this.

I should say, my fingers are not long enough to do this.

At least not with the bars at my gym.

I have pretty short fingers as I'm 5'9 and my fingers are maybe 1/4" longer than my 5'2 wife's.

Now I sort of want to revisit trying it to see if it was just my noobishness that was causing the issue, but I just remember not being able to pull it off at all.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

I have pretty short fingers as I'm 5'9 and my fingers are maybe 1/4" longer than my 5'2 wife's.

Now I sort of want to revisit trying it to see if it was just my noobishness that was causing the issue, but I just remember not being able to pull it off at all.

I can't do it. I have long enough fingers, but hook grip caused more damage than it saved me from. Straps are a decent option and switching the mixed grip from side to side works too. Competitive powerlifters don't even bother with caring about imbalance because it works in their favor.
  • ovidnine
    Options

I can't do it. I have long enough fingers, but hook grip caused more damage than it saved me from. Straps are a decent option and switching the mixed grip from side to side works too. Competitive powerlifters don't even bother with caring about imbalance because it works in their favor.

Yeah, I'm not too worried about it and good to know that its rough for those with long fingers too. lol
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm not going to enter into the debate over grip, however, what I found that has helped my grip strength -- whether double over or switch -- is to hold my last rep of my worksets for 5 seconds or longer at lockout. The advantage, you sneak in some grip training and work on your lockout.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I'm not going to enter into the debate over grip, however, what I found that has helped my grip strength -- whether double over or switch -- is to hold my last rep of my worksets for 5 seconds or longer at lockout. The advantage, you sneak in some grip training and work on your lockout.

When I am working up towards a powerlifting meet I hold all my reps at the top. During bodybuilding training my tempo is dictated already and I use straps to stick to what I have to.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

When I am working up towards a powerlifting meet I hold all my reps at the top. During bodybuilding training my tempo is dictated already and I use straps to stick to what I have to.
    Makes sense. When I work in hypertrophy sets (4x8 or 5x10) on accessory DL (like RDL or SLDL) I do this too, except I try not to use straps -- but I have my days when I need them.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »

Hook grip can go suck a ...

My hands are too small and I about tore my thumb nail from its bed trying to do this.