scared of the scale

Options
Hi all, I am always delaying to weight myself - I started 10 days ago and I could not stick to the 1200 calories - I know I gained weight - I decided to not weight myself until I feel a change in my clothes ;-) - Have you skipped weight in ?

Replies

• AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Checking the scale is like an addiction to me. I get on it every day but only on Fridays do I actually track it.
  • Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My gym was where I used to weigh myself. When I quit back in April, I didn't have a scale at home, so I stopped bothering. I didn't check for 2 months before I broke down and bought one. It kept me from obsessing over the numbers. I relied on the image in the mirror and the way my clothes fit. I am glad I didn't weigh in for so long. It helped me focus on my diet and exercise and not the numbers.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Whenever I stop stepping on the scale because I'm scared, it turns into 6 months and at least 30 pounds of not stepping on the scale. So, I always force myself to now!!

Now, I know most people (you included most likely) don't have the ostrich in the sand syndrome I have and that won't happen to you - I'm an extreme case, but it's happen 3 times now so it's evidently a big issue for me. So I'm on the scale every morning no matter how I ate. I face the music.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh in religiously everyday, but I decided it wasn't worth it, and put it away. I weigh every now and then when It comes to mind, and the number is going down to my surprise. (unfortunately) I didn't think I could maintain.
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's the fear of NOT checking the scales every day at the same time that keeps me disciplined about my weight management!
    I know people suggest on MFP not to weigh yourself everyday but the way i look at it is that if i measure daily i can correct variances quicker than waiting to see the damage after a week.

Just make sure you're consistent with whatever method of weighing yourself you use but don't fear the scales, they can be your friend too :happy:
  • kikiallain
    kikiallain Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hate the scale..i hate how it varies so easily! I had lost 1.6 pounds since last saturday when I unofficially weighed myself on wednesday but then yesterday I ate at a restaurant and now am petrified to do my weigh in tomorrow morning!! But the way I see it is no matter what the number is, i'll keep going and work hard and that's all i can do!! I will not let it discourage me! 1200 calories is what I have to eat during the day too.. i started about 3 weeks ago and the first week or so i felt it was hard but with the workouts and extra calories I gain from that it's actually getting better and i rarely go over (except last night because of the restaurant). So keep trying and eventually your body will adapt!
  • hatchhome
    hatchhome Posts: 65
    Options
    Not checking the scale is like not balancing your checkbook because your afraid of your balance. Your weight will be the same no matter if you weigh yourself or not. If its something that drives you crazy then dont do it as often but i dont recommend not weighing in. I do it everyday and can tell what days I drink to much coke zero, it keeps me on track.
  • hatchhome
    hatchhome Posts: 65
    Options
    Not checking the scale is like not balancing your checkbook because your afraid of your balance. Your weight will be the same no matter if you weigh yourself or not. If its something that drives you crazy then dont do it as often but i dont recommend not weighing in. I do it everyday and can tell what days I drink to much coke zero, it keeps me on track.
  • melfirth
    melfirth Posts: 1
    Options
    I know that feeling, but I just find if I let it slip then my weight creeps on and on and on! I'm sticking to weighing in once a week it means I don't see every little change but if there is damage after a week I can manage it!
  • wnw64
    wnw64 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I found checking the scale every day wasn't very helpful due to, what I read, is normal intra-week fluctuation. I settled on twice/week. Once on Monday (assess weekend damages....) & once on Friday (to see if my weekly calorie counting & gym workouts are on track). To me though, you hit on the real truth & that is how are your clothes fitting - the proof is in the knitting.....

One other point - not to sound too creep, but from your picture, I'd say you're doing a terrific job in managing your weight !!!
  • SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should check it anyway. If you're over 1200, it's not the end of the world... In fact, it's BETTER to be over 1200 than under 1200 and as long as you didn't eat more than your maintenance calories, you should still be losing anyway... just not as much. I say weigh anyway... otherwise you're always going to wonder...
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I usually track on Mondays.

If weighing in will demotivate you, don't do it now, do it when you're ready, but you may want to get on and see where you are, whether you decide to record it or not.

I didn't record my weight this Monday because my scales gave me three different readings, so I have decided to wait until I can get a new scale, but I am continuing with my calorie goals and exercise. Sometimes you can fall into the trap of thinking that you are scott-free because you're not being weighed...
  • agereaix
    agereaix Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone !!! I am going to WI on Monday, I will be good and exercice over the weekend ;-)
    last question : How can I know my maintenance weight ? Cheers !