Wasted Protein?

Options
Many articles suggest protein metabolism is limited to 30 grams every two to three hours - even fewer grams for whey protein. When diets include 45 to 50 grams of protein per meal, are the unused grams wasted? Are there supplements one should take to avoid wasting the protein in excess of 30 grams?

Replies

• Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    When you consume more protein than your body needs, the excess protein is used to provide your body with energy or turned into fat. You can't store extra amino acids or protein for later use, so if you consume too many calories in an effort to increase your protein intake you will gain weight.
  • drewmaczko
    drewmaczko Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    So as long as I stay at or below my maintenance level for calories, I should be fine?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    drewmaczko wrote: »
    Thank you!
    So as long as I stay at or below my maintenance level for calories, I should be fine?

Yes...weight loss is about calories not protein grams..those are for maintaining and repairing muscles while losing weight and it helps keep you feeling fuller longer.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The 30g protein myth has been scientifically debunked, no such thing. Here's an article by Alan Aragon (a well-known and respected fitness researcher) where he discusses it and analyzes the scientific studies.

{ETA:] Here's another article, by Lyle McDonald, which discusses protein and fat storage (he has links to his much more extensive articles about nutrient intake, storage and oxidation as well - all good reads).
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    The 30 grams every three hour thing has to be looked at several ways.
    Your body can metabolize 6- 10 grams of protein an hour is true however science has proven you don't need to feed your body every three hours to get maximum protein absorption as long as you get your protein in during the day. I can assure you your digestive track is working 24 hours a day to get all it can out of the food you ate 1 or 10 hours ago..

• drewmaczko
    Options
    Good article and great advice. Thank you
  • drewmaczko
    Options
    The 30 grams every three hour thing has to be looked at several ways.
    Your body can metabolize 6- 10 grams of protein an hour is true however science has proven you don't need to feed your body every three hours to get maximum protein absorption as long as you get your protein in during the day. I can assure you your digestive track is working 24 hours a day to get all it can out of the food you ate 1 or 10 hours ago..

I appreciate the advice. Thanks!