Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Talk to your dr. There are many conditions that can cause what you describe. Iron deficiency is not the first I would think of.

This. And if it is iron deficiency your doctor will be able to help you more than posters here can. If your doctor says eat more of certain foods, we can certainly give information about how we include those foods in our diets, though!
  • InCHarmsWay
    InCHarmsWay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    You could very likely have low Vitamin D with those symptoms. It's best to get blood work done to be sure if you have a vitamin deficiency, then it'll be much easier to pinpoint the changes that need to be made. Good luck!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Mushrooms, spinach, apricots. There are a lot of fruits and veg that are high in iron. You can also get fortified breads and cereals.

Things like spinach are fakers. While spinach does have a lot of iron - it's in there! - we cannot use it, so it does us very little good. It seems like a good choice, but really isn't.

I'm under the impression that it is a good plant source due to the fact it has a vitamin c content to help the heme iron absorb.

Spinach is high in oxalic acid (I couldn't remember what it was called so I had to Google it), and oxalic acid interferes with the body's ability to absorb non heme iron. Non heme iron is the stuff in plants. Heme iron comes from hemoglobin, aka the stuff in meat. Oxalic acid also impacts the amount of calcium you get from spinach.
  • GabriellaVioletta
    GabriellaVioletta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Raw Cacao Powder is the highest plant based source of iron. It contains 7.3mg per 100g combared to lamb and beef at 2.5mg and spinach at 3.6mg.
    Combine with vitamin C for maximum absorption
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    lyttlewon wrote: »
    Mushrooms, spinach, apricots. There are a lot of fruits and veg that are high in iron. You can also get fortified breads and cereals.

Things like spinach are fakers. While spinach does have a lot of iron - it's in there! - we cannot use it, so it does us very little good. It seems like a good choice, but really isn't.

I'm under the impression that it is a good plant source due to the fact it has a vitamin c content to help the heme iron absorb.

Spinach is high in oxalic acid (I couldn't remember what it was called so I had to Google it), and oxalic acid interferes with the body's ability to absorb non heme iron. Non heme iron is the stuff in plants. Heme iron comes from hemoglobin, aka the stuff in meat. Oxalic acid also impacts the amount of calcium you get from spinach.

Thanks for that, I'll have a read up on it. I love MFP, I never fail to learn things :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Iron sources from food is actually super confusing. I am pretty good with nutrition stuff in general and have looked into it some because my mother has liver damage stemming from a condition where her body absorbs too much iron from the foods she eats (hemochromatosis), and when she was first diagnosed she was basically told to avoid high iron foods which made her paranoid about everything (like greens), and yet despite that research I still feel somewhat uncertain. It's one reason I push people to ask questions of their dietitians and make sure they understand and feel comfortable talking to them, because my parents were both really confused and I don't think my mother ever understood what she was supposed to be eating (due to the liver damage and some other things she's on a different diet now and lots of meds).

Possibly unnecessary warning: conditions like the one my mother has (which are often symptom free for years) are why it's a good idea to get things like iron levels checked (also D, where deficiency is common) and, for iron specifically, not to simply assume it's good to supplement in the absence of a diagnosis.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

False. I'm anemic and have to work hard to keep my iron levels in an acceptable range. There are two types of iron, heme and non-heme. Heme which is meat sourced is easily absorbed by our bodies so it is the preferred source of iron. Plant based iron is non-heme which is hard to absorb but it can be a viable source of iron. Adding vitamin c while eating non-heme iron foods will aid in the absorption of the iron. For instance, tossing fresh spinach with orange slices and other salad toppings will provide a healthy dose of iron.

Caution...excess iron isn't flushed from the body and can lead to medical complications. Talk to your doctor to find out if you really need the extra iron.

Here is a list of items that are high in iron. The last number is the amount of mg of iron per the serving listed.

Iron (mg)

Soybeans,cooked 1 cup 8.8
    Blackstrap molasses 2 Tbsp 7.2
    Lentils, cooked 1 cup 6.6
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 6.4
    Tofu 4 ounces 6.4
    Bagel, enriched 1 medium 6.4
    Chickpeas, cooked 1 cup 4.7
    Tempeh 1 cup 4.5
    Lima beans, cooked 1 cup 4.5
    Black-eyed peas, cooked 1 cup 4.3
    Swiss chard, cooked 1 cup 4.0
    Kidney beans, cooked 1 cup 3.9
    Black beans, cooked 1 cup 3.6
    Pinto beans, cooked 1 cup 3.6
    Turnip greens, cooked 1 cup 3.2
    Potato 1 large 3.2
    Prune juice 8 ounces 3.0
    Quinoa, cooked 1 cup 2.8
    Beet greens, cooked 1 cup 2.7
    Tahini 2 Tbsp 2.7
    Veggie hot dog, iron-fortified 1 hot dog 2.7
    Peas, cooked 1 cup 2.5
    Cashews 1/4 cup 2.1
    Bok choy, cooked 1 cup 1.8
    Bulgur, cooked 1 cup 1.7
    Raisins 1/2 cup 1.6
    Apricots, dried 15 halves 1.4
    Veggie burger, commercial 1 patty 1.4
    Watermelon 1/8 medium 1.4
    Almonds 1/4 cup 1.3
    Kale, cooked 1 cup 1.2
    Sunflower seeds 1/4 cup 1.2
    Broccoli, cooked 1 cup 1.1
    Millet, cooked 1 cup 1.1
    Soy yogurt 6 ounces 1.1
    Tomato juice 8 ounces 1.0
    Sesame seeds 2 Tbsp 1.0
    Brussels sprouts, cooked 1 cup 0.9

Sources: USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 24, 2011
    No, it's true. While you're working really hard to raise your iron levels, you should ask your doctor (or even a dietitian) about spinach. If you're relying on Spinach and vitamin C for your iron, you will remain anemic.

Spinach is not a good source for iron.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

A lot of people are under that impression. It's not true. But don't take my word for it! Ask a doctor or dietitian if spinach is a good source of iron. See what they say.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

A lot of people are under that impression. It's not true. But don't take my word for it! Ask a doctor or dietitian if spinach is a good source of iron. See what they say.

I don't think every dietitian would agree with you. Dietitian Jack Norris disagrees with your assessment: http://jacknorrisrd.com/category/iron/

Nobody should be relying on a single food to meet their iron needs, whether that food is spinach or not. That said, if one is adding iron-rich foods in general to the diet, there's no reason to exclude spinach.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Mussels. I was rummaging through my cupboard last week and found a 150 g can of smoked mussels: 50% of daily requirement.
  • lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've always used blueberries. Iron (not a lot) and Vitamin C in one shot.

http://www.dailyiron.net/blueberries/

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.php

I've always love oatmeal for it's many awesome qualities too!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Do you know that the problem is iron deficiency, or just guessing?

This^

I found I was iron deficient at the blood bank. Only then did my Dr. prescribe an iron supplement. Be careful with this.

Many entries here in MFP are not complete, iron may or may not be listed.

Now I take a multi-vitamin with "some" iron. Not all multi-vitamins have iron though, be sure to check the label.