Calories and Macros

Options
Let me know if I'm off on this, but I'm doing this:

* Weight: 145 lb.
* Body fat %: 9%
* Phase: Bulking
* Weight method: 5x5 for an hour workout, 4 times a week (when I hit 6 reps 5 times, I up the weight)
* Cardio method: Doing HIIT sprinting 2 times a week at a 1-minute-to-1-minute ratio for 20 minutes total
* Job: Desk job (but I have a standing desk, so I don't sit for about 80% of the day, don't know if this factors in)

Heard that my intake should be:

* Protein = 1 gram for every pound of weight = 145 grams
* Carbs = 2 grams for every pound of weight = 290 grams
* Fats = 0.4 grams for every pound of weight = 58 grams

And so calories are:

* Protein = 145 grams * 4 cals = 580 calories = 25.6%
* Carbs = 290 grams * 4 cals = 1160 calories = 51.2%
* Fats = 58 grams * 9 cals = 522 calories = 23%

So that totals 2262 calories, and I'm rounding these percentages to:

* Protein = 30%
* Carbs = 50%
* Fats = 20%

Am I doing anything wrong? Are my percentages ok? Should I eat more calories in bulking?

Replies

• jdscrubs32
    jdscrubs32 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Let me know if I'm off on this, but I'm doing this:

* Weight: 145 lb.
    * Body fat %: 9%
    * Phase: Bulking
    * Weight method: 5x5 for an hour workout, 4 times a week (when I hit 6 reps 5 times, I up the weight)
    * Cardio method: Doing HIIT sprinting 2 times a week at a 1-minute-to-1-minute ratio for 20 minutes total
    * Job: Desk job (but I have a standing desk, so I don't sit for about 80% of the day, don't know if this factors in)

Heard that my intake should be:

* Protein = 1 gram for every pound of weight = 145 grams
    * Carbs = 2 grams for every pound of weight = 290 grams
    * Fats = 0.4 grams for every pound of weight = 58 grams

And so calories are:

* Protein = 145 grams * 4 cals = 580 calories = 25.6%
    * Carbs = 290 grams * 4 cals = 1160 calories = 51.2%
    * Fats = 58 grams * 9 cals = 522 calories = 23%

So that totals 2262 calories, and I'm rounding these percentages to:

* Protein = 30%
    * Carbs = 50%
    * Fats = 20%

Am I doing anything wrong? Are my percentages ok? Should I eat more calories in bulking?

I was told but I'm open to correction that it should be;
    Protein = 1 gram per pound of Body Weight
    Fat = 0.7 gram per pound of body weight
    Carbs = fill the rest of what you have leftover.

When I was bulking, my macros were set at;
    carbs = 50%
    Protein = 20%
    Fats = 30%.

Really though, while bulking, calories and carbs are king while bulking.

So maybe swap around the %s that you have for protein and fats. Looks like you are on a good program. Give the calorie amount of 2262 a few weeks, if you aren't increasing, increase them by another 250 calories and so on until you start to increase.

I'm open to correction on all the above if I am wrong.
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear too. :/ I also don't want to gain fat while I'm bulking, if that's possible. I'd take a moderate muscle gain with no fat gain over an aggressive muscle gain over some fat gain. I worked hard to shed 40 lb. of fat and I don't really want to gain it back just to have to shed it again later, even if I'd gain muscle more quickly.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I would change the fat to 0.45gram per lb, and for protein you I would do 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, not per lb, fill in the rest with carbs, use fat and protein as minimums and carbs as a max.

FYI, I have never seen fat as high as 0.7/lb, seems like it is quite high and will take away from carbs, which are king when bulking.

As for your program, I would suggest if doing 5x5 that once you can do 5x5 on all sets, up the weight, don't wait or try and get 6 except on your final set.
  • erickirb
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'd like to hear too. :/ I also don't want to gain fat while I'm bulking, if that's possible. I'd take a moderate muscle gain with no fat gain over an aggressive muscle gain over some fat gain. I worked hard to shed 40 lb. of fat and I don't really want to gain it back just to have to shed it again later, even if I'd gain muscle more quickly.

You will gain fat in a bulk, even if bulking slow. The best you can usually hope for is a 1:1 fat to muscle gain. Once you add enough muscle, or a good amount, then cut again where you can hope to lose 3-4 lbs of fat per lb of muscle, leaving you at a lower BF% at each weight than you were during the bulk.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    I would change the fat to 0.45gram per lb, and for protein you I would do 1 gram per lb of lean body mass, not per lb, fill in the rest with carbs, use fat and protein as minimums and carbs as a max.

FYI, I have never seen fat as high as 0.7/lb, seems like it is quite high and will take away from carbs, which are king when bulking.

As for your program, I would suggest if doing 5x5 that once you can do 5x5 on all sets, up the weight, don't wait or try and get 6 except on your final set.

My apologies, the fat figure is too high. Was getting mixed up with something else. @lostinwebspace go with @erickirb figure for fat.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

I was the same as you when I wanted to start bulking in that I didn't want to put any fat on. However it is kind of impossible to not put fat on while bulking but if you bulk slowly, the increase in both fat and muscle should roughly be the same. Its hard to do one without the other. I know you lost a lot of fat, as did it and you don't want to put it on again but you have to get over the mental aspect of it and just go for it but do it slowly. I started off around 5% body fat and at the end of bulking was between 12-15% body fat. To be honest, I looked a lot better. Bulk slow and the fat gain wont be too high.
  • lostinwebspace
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Will do! And, @erickirb, if I gain a 1:1 fat:muscle ratio, would that necessarily show? And how will I know that I've gained enough muscle if it's being cushioned by fat? In terms of my satisfaction, I don't go by numbers. I decide based on the mirror if I'm satisfied. So if I'm gaining fat with the muscle, will I ever really be satisfied?

Edit: Sorry, @erickirb, reread your post. What I'm concerned about is a lower BF %, not lower BF weight. So you set my mind at ease about that. It's just gonna suck not being able to eat as much when I go from bulking to cutting again. :persevere: Them's the breaks though, eh? I guess I'll probably be able to eat as much given that I'll have more weight, which ups my calories. If you can't tell, I like eating. ;) Still, I hope I can recognize the time to switch from bulking to cutting since I'll be adding on fat and muscle at the same rate. Like I said, the crux of that question is...when will I know, "Now is the time to start cutting and then I'll be satisfied with the muscle that's left over"?
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    Ok, so as per suggestions from @erickirb, I figure this:

At 145lb and 9% body fat, I should eat

* Protein = 1 gram per pound of LBM = 131.95 grams = 528 calories = 23.2%
    * Fats = 0.45 grams per pound of weight = 65.25 grams = 587 calories = 25.8%
    * Carbs = the rest = 1160 calories = 50.9%

Myfitnesspal will only let me round the percentages to the nearest 5, so if I put myself at:

* Protein = 25%
    * Fat = 25%
    * Carbs = 50%

I should be ok? And is my calorie intake good at 2,300, rounded up from 2,282?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as per suggestions from @erickirb, I figure this:

At 145lb and 9% body fat, I should eat

* Protein = 1 gram per pound of LBM = 131.95 grams = 528 calories = 23.2%
    * Fats = 0.45 grams per pound of weight = 65.25 grams = 587 calories = 25.8%
    * Carbs = the rest = 1160 calories = 50.9%

Myfitnesspal will only let me round the percentages to the nearest 5, so if I put myself at:

* Protein = 25%
    * Fat = 25%
    * Carbs = 50%

I should be ok? And is my calorie intake good at 2,300, rounded up from 2,282?

You can start there, but I would honestly be surprised if you're able to make significant bulking process on only 2,300 calories per day. I'm a couple years older, 5'9, 160 (so not that much bigger) and 2,300 would be approximately maintenance for me.

I think your protein & fat goals (as in gram totals) are good, but I'd probably bump carbs up to around 1500 calories worth (375 g) per day giving you closer to 2,700 calories per day to start. If you find you're gaining too quickly you can always cut them back down.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Will do! And, @erickirb, if I gain a 1:1 fat:muscle ratio, would that necessarily show? And how will I know that I've gained enough muscle if it's being cushioned by fat? In terms of my satisfaction, I don't go by numbers. I decide based on the mirror if I'm satisfied. So if I'm gaining fat with the muscle, will I ever really be satisfied?

Edit: Sorry, @erickirb, reread your post. What I'm concerned about is a lower BF %, not lower BF weight. So you set my mind at ease about that. It's just gonna suck not being able to eat as much when I go from bulking to cutting again. :persevere: Them's the breaks though, eh? I guess I'll probably be able to eat as much given that I'll have more weight, which ups my calories. If you can't tell, I like eating. ;) Still, I hope I can recognize the time to switch from bulking to cutting since I'll be adding on fat and muscle at the same rate. Like I said, the crux of that question is...when will I know, "Now is the time to start cutting and then I'll be satisfied with the muscle that's left over"?

Go by the mirror, if you like how you look and feel with more muscle and fat, keep bulking, when you think, hmm, I think I need to lose some weight, time to cut.
  • erickirb
    Options
    jdscrubs32 wrote: »

I was the same as you when I wanted to start bulking in that I didn't want to put any fat on. However it is kind of impossible to not put fat on while bulking but if you bulk slowly, the increase in both fat and muscle should roughly be the same. Its hard to do one without the other. I know you lost a lot of fat, as did it and you don't want to put it on again but you have to get over the mental aspect of it and just go for it but do it slowly. I started off around 5% body fat and at the end of bulking was between 12-15% body fat. To be honest, I looked a lot better. Bulk slow and the fat gain wont be too high.

Wow.... 5% BF% is extremely low, almost professional body builder competition %. How did you calculate BF%?
  • lostinwebspace
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @juggernaut1974, yeah, I was worried about not eating enough too. Well...my wife is worried about having to run to the grocery store every single day, but, heheheheh.... Anyway, everybody says I don't eat enough calories, but whenever I run my numbers through a calorie formula, I come up with a low number. Here's an example, and I use Katch-McArdle here.

TDEE = 370 + (21.6 * lean body mass in kg)
    TDEE = 370 + (21.6 * 63.95)
    TDEE = 370 + 1381.32
    TDEE = 1751.32

But I exercise pretty intensely for an hour 4 times a week (a good, intense workout) and have a desk job. In terms of my activity level, I'm put at 1.1. So TDEE = 1926.452. I rounded up to 2,000.

But, hmm...rereading some sites just now, I see that my activity modifier should be more, like around 1.55 or so. So that puts me at 2714.546, which is right smackdab in your estimate. And what you're saying falls in line with what I'm seeing: I gain reps from week to week, which I'm happy about. But that's really weird, because I don't gain weight: I've been consistent at 144.9 lb for the last little while, and--not that I took a before picture (which I'm kicking myself for right now)--I don't see any change in the mirror. How did you calculate my TDEE?

My plan, then, I guess if you think this will work, is to up my calories by 100 every two weeks to 2,700 until I start seeing gains. Is that a sound plan?

First things first: after the kids are in bed, I'm taking that before photo.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »

Wow.... 5% BF% is extremely low, almost professional body builder competition %. How did you calculate BF%?

It was around that. I started going to a PT who had callipers that he used on me and cos they can be unreliable, I'm saying its around that. Years before I had lost a lot of weight and couldn't for years put it back on again even though I went to the gym. I took up running which didn't help and made me lose even more so hence why I started with a PT who changed things up on both the workouts and nutrition side of things. It was mainly down to me not eating enough so once he got me to change the mental side of things, I started to increase. Was 55kg/121lbs when I started with him and a year and half later I was and still maintaining at 70kg/154lbs. The increase only started last November of last year when I bumped the calories up to 4,000
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    @juggernaut1974, yeah, I was worried about not eating enough too. Well...my wife is worried about having to run to the grocery store every single day, but, heheheheh.... Anyway, everybody says I don't eat enough calories, but whenever I run my numbers through a calorie formula, I come up with a low number. Here's an example, and I use Katch-McArdle here.

TDEE = 370 + 1381.32
    TDEE = 1751.32

But I exercise pretty intensely for an hour 4 times a week (a good, intense workout) and have a desk job. In terms of my activity level, I'm put at 1.1. So TDEE = 1926.452. I rounded up to 2,000.

But, hmm...rereading some sites just now, I see that my activity modifier should be more, like around 1.55 or so. So that puts me at 2714.546, which is right smackdab in your estimate. And what you're saying falls in line with what I'm seeing: I gain reps from week to week, which I'm happy about. But that's really weird, because I don't gain weight: I've been consistent at 144.9 lb for the last little while, and--not that I took a before picture (which I'm kicking myself for right now)--I don't see any change in the mirror. How did you calculate my TDEE?

My plan, then, I guess if you think this will work, is to up my calories by 100 every two weeks to 2,700 until I start seeing gains. Is that a sound plan?

Honestly I didn't calculate anything, just a rough guess based on comparing our sizes and my own personal numbers. :)

At the end of the day, even using a formula or internet site to calculate TDEE is still going to be an approximation. Trial and error is the only way you'll get a good grasp on your actual numbers. So pick a number that sounds reasonable and start with that...assess your results after 6 weeks or so and adjust if necessary.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

TDEE = 370 + 1381.32
    TDEE = 1751.32

Honestly I didn't calculate anything, just a rough guess based on comparing our sizes and my own personal numbers. :)

At the end of the day, even using a formula or internet site to calculate TDEE is still going to be an approximation. Trial and error is the only way you'll get a good grasp on your actual numbers. So pick a number that sounds reasonable and start with that...assess your results after 6 weeks or so and adjust if necessary.

@juggernaut1974 I would reckon every 4 weeks to assess results and adjust if necessary. This is what I did but look everyone is different.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options

TDEE = 370 + 1381.32
    TDEE = 1751.32

@juggernaut1974 I would reckon every 4 weeks to assess results and adjust if necessary. This is what I did but look everyone is different.

Sure whatever works for you...I generally recommend just a bit longer because a lot of times fluctuations in the first couple weeks after a significant diet or workout change tend to be related to water retention and the like. That plus I always try to stress that in many cases slower and steadier is better than quick and drastic.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options

TDEE = 370 + 1381.32
    TDEE = 1751.32

Sure whatever works for you...I generally recommend just a bit longer because a lot of times fluctuations in the first couple weeks after a significant diet or workout change tend to be related to water retention and the like. That plus I always try to stress that in many cases slower and steadier is better than quick and drastic.

Oh I would agree, slow and steady wins the race all the time.
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    @juggernaut1974, yeah I know those formulas are only approximations. :P But the formula was pretty bang on for my weight loss, so I figured it would be for bulking. But I'm definitely upping my calories now. I heard 100 calories a week until you get to your goal just so your metabolism isn't shocked. The logic is that, once your metabolism settles with you on a low calorie intake, making a sudden increase will just pile on fat instead. So you have to get your metabolism settled to taking in more calories. Is that right or a myth?
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    Also, any use in doing the HIIT while I'm bulking? Frankly, as far as cardio goes, I actually don't mind longer walks at 4 mph. I'm wondering if there would be any detriment in sticking to the longer walks if I'm not really concerned about losing fat or increasing my calories further through burning them off in cardio.
  • jdscrubs32
    Options
    Also, any use in doing the HIIT while I'm bulking? Frankly, as far as cardio goes, I actually don't mind longer walks at 4 mph. I'm wondering if there would be any detriment in sticking to the longer walks if I'm not really concerned about losing fat or increasing my calories further through burning them off in cardio.

Keep cardio to a minimum while bulking. However its important to keep the heart healthy as well so 1 30 minute session a week or a few walks will be fine but don't overdo the cardio.