Westsoy soymilk? Help!

Options
SylviaCherie
SylviaCherie Posts: 89 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Just bought this milk based on the suggestion of my dietitian. Now I am a huge cow milk lover but was told that this brand is the best..no gmos, organic, no preservatives just soy and water. Only thing is I'm so scared to drink it. Lol I bought the plain and vanilla unsweetened and wanted to know which one is best for cereal? Should i even mixed the two? Trying to make it taste as close to cow's milk as possible lol
Thanks for your help :)

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Doubt it will taste like cow's milk whatever you do. It has a different taste entirely but one many people prefer - when I first tried it found it lighter than even the skimmed cow's milk I was using before and much preferred the unsweetened variety. You won't know how or if you like it till you try it - be brave and taste it! :)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    May I ask what your dietician is trying to accomplish by replacing cow's milk with soy?

Per this site:

http://www.westsoymilk.com/products/organic-unsweetened/organic-unsweetened-vanilla/

It looks like the unsweetened vanilla flavor has essentially the same nutrient breakdown as a glass of 1% cow's milk. You say you like cow's milk, so unless you're lactose intolerant or are having some other issue with regular dairy, I don't see what your dietician is trying to accomplish.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk has a good deal of sugar. Unsweetened soy milk tastes very different. If one them has sugar you'll probably be happier with that.

BTW - I've never seen soy milk that was not organic non-gmo. Even store brands.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What are you scared of?
  • SylviaCherie
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have high cholesterol. She is trying to clean up my diet with whole foods. She believes culturally African Americans typically don't do well will cow's milk. Probably some truth to that because many family members are lactose intolerant of course in varying degrees. She also showed me various scientific studies that have been published regarding the health benefits of soy. She admits that many people believe that soy is the devil but noted that countries where people live the longest eat high amounts of soy products. Just going to follow her lead because she has numerous degrees in nutrition and is actually using nutrition to manipulate her body into early menopause...now that's someone who knows her food. Lol
  • TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    BTW - I've never seen soy milk that was not organic non-gmo.

Is the Alpro brand available in the US? Their organic soya is made with certified organic, non-gm soya beans.

• SylviaCherie
    Options
    Westsoy soymilk is nongmo and organic. ..I'm more concerned with flavor. I can be quite picky
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Westsoy soymilk is nongmo and organic. ..I'm more concerned with flavor. I can be quite picky

If flavor is important to you, you may want to start with a sweetened soy milk. The unsweetened ones can be pretty austere.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options
    Thanks.☺ I guess I was hoping someone would give me an idea of the flavor.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

It can vary widely by brand. I find the flavor to be creamy, but some people report that it tastes kind of "beany" to them. If you don't like WestSoy and you want to continue trying others, lots of people like Silk (which has an organic line). If you want to try other plant milks, my favorite is cashew milk.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Cow's milk has a good deal of sugar. Unsweetened soy milk tastes very different. If one them has sugar you'll probably be happier with that.

BTW - I've never seen soy milk that was not organic non-gmo. Even store brands.

My friend was complaining that WF doesn't sell her preferred brand now because it's gmo, so presumably they exist. (I don't care about soy milk or gmo, so don't recall what it was, so I realize this isn't so helpful!) ;-)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I find it kind of creamy and inoffensive -- I tend to use it plain and only in small amounts (not much at all now, more in the past). Seriously, I'd just try it and try not to have any preconceived ideas about what it will taste like. Maybe taste a little on its own first before adding a lot to cereal, so you aren't surprised. Lots of people really like it.
  • SylviaCherie
    Options

It can vary widely by brand. I find the flavor to be creamy, but some people report that it tastes kind of "beany" to them. If you don't like WestSoy and you want to continue trying others, lots of people like Silk (which has an organic line). If you want to try other plant milks, my favorite is cashew milk.

What does cashew milk taste like and what about the consistency of it
  • janejellyroll
    edited November 2015
    Options

What does cashew milk taste like and what about the consistency of it

It tastes, to me, just milky and creamy. The consistency is rich, more like what I remember diary milk being like (I haven't had milk for about ten years). The downside is that you won't get the protein that you get with soy milk, so I still stick with soy milk for everyday use.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    BTW - I've never seen soy milk that was not organic non-gmo.

Is the Alpro brand available in the US? Their organic soya is made with certified organic, non-gm soya beans.

I've never seen it in my area, but the US is a big place so it may be in other areas. Silk, Blue Diamond, Simple Truth are the most common brands in my area. All are certified organic. In the US organic = non-gmo, but they are also labeled non-gmo.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I think the consistency is similar to skim milk but the taste is different. It doesn't really taste like anything else I can think of, but it doesn't taste like cow's milk. I drink soy or almond milk because I don't like the taste of cow's milk.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Am I to assume you are off all dairy and this soy milk thing is the tip of the iceberg? I have changed to rice milk because I have milk-casein issues. This means no butter, cheese, cream, yogurt and all it cuts out so much. Goat milk/cheese is not an option for me but for those who need something with fewer calories it can work well. It can be more easily digested than cows milk etc.