When will I "feel" skinny?

Options
I know by the scale I've kept off those 70 pounds. I hear the compliments from friends and strangers. I see the size I'm buying in the store. But when I walk down the street, I still feel "big." I still feel like the floor shakes under me at the office. I still worry about my hips bumping into things. I constantly worry about my stomach poking out. When will my "inside" catch up with my "outside?" A stranger recently described me as "tiny" and I felt embarrassed for even considering it might be true. My husband and daughter don't understand...my friends (who have always been thin) don't understand...it's been 3 years...when will I get to truly enjoy all of my hard work???

Replies

• GooneyAngel
    Options
    It is sad to say, but, some people never "feel skinny" or admit that they are. My advice would be to post a pic of you on your mirror, the one BEFORE you lost weight. Then every time you look in the mirror, you will SEE the results of your hard work and committment to getting healthy! Hopefully after time, you will be able to throw the old picture away, knowing that you are a happier healthier person.
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Have some nice photos done! That's the only time I really recognise my true size! :smile:
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Some days I feel the same way. I still feel as if I was 15 or 16 years old in my chubby teenager body.....And other days I take compliments to heart and for moments in the day feel like people say they see me as- petite, small, and slim.

Takes a while to get used to a new body but remember- people see you from outside and don't have any of those old, self-scrutinizing thoughts of yourself that you have. They see what's on the outside, and not the old you.... those are your past insecurities and doubts coming back to haunt you.

Take their compliments, smile, and enjoy your new body!
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    dear its a state of mind honestly and even after I lost alot of weight I still have that fat feeling well granted I have gained it back being preggo with Ethen but WOW.. Sometimes people never "feel" fat I personally think it was the image that's been burned into our minds you know.

Prayers that you will feel as beautiful as you are :)
  • aunt_hbomb
    aunt_hbomb Posts: 204
    Options
    Compare some photos of yourself from 3 years ago to some from right now. Keep some of your "skinny" photos around to remind you that you are a success and why you worked so hard to get it off and continue to keep it off. I'm sure that will help you realize you're "skinny". Think about all the things you can do now that you couldn't when you had 70 more lbs on you. Try lifting 70 lbs. and realize how heavy that is.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Since it's been 3 years, I would suggest therapy maybe.Please this is not an insult!!! We all desreve to be happy and obviously, something is not working. Might be from your youth, or feeling that you do not deserve to be thin or whatever is your reason. It might help to go at the bottom of the problem.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    it isvery hard it's a mind set thing especially when you have been big for a longer time than small

I shopped at a consignment store and went right to the plus size section and there was a woman there who said to me "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

I was floored...she goes "You don't belong here" and I thought I would have to leave the store..but she said, "Your sizes are over there honey"

I was still so set in who I was It took a stranger to show me who I had become.

I say take tons of pictures til your mind sees you as you are now on the outside
  • emariec78
    emariec78 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I focus on small parts. Like I can look at my stomach and tell its more flat than it used to be, I can tell my thigh is thinner, I can see a muscle in my arm. I may not feel skinny, but I know I'm in better shape and looking better because I can see those types of changes.
  • crasula
    crasula Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's just a small psychological thing most people go through for a certain period of time. I read it was an inbuilt protection that some people build up to stop themselves becoming to comfortable and slipping into old bad habits.

Apparently you usually have some trigger points than snap you out of it. For example. Buying a new skinny pair of jeans or taking part in some sporting or social activity you would have never dreamed of participating in when you didn't feel so good about yourself.

I still walk about hunching to hide my tummy, i don't even have one anymore!

Just give it time and enjoy your new self, it'll go away eventually.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I wish I had an answer to this... because I feel the SAME way. Everytime I buy new clothes I always think "Will people laugh behind my back and wonder why I'm wearing this???". I know deep in my mind that they won't, but I can't get over it -- ya know? I'm not sure how long it takes our minds to catch up with our bodies. I'm still trying to get them in sync with one another... :(
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    it isvery hard it's a mind set thing especially when you have been big for a longer time than small

I shopped at a consignment store and went right to the plus size section and there was a woman there who said to me "What the hell do you think you are doing?"

I was floored...she goes "You don't belong here" and I thought I would have to leave the store..but she said, "Your sizes are over there honey"

I was still so set in who I was It took a stranger to show me who I had become.

I say take tons of pictures til your mind sees you as you are now on the outside

I've FINALLY stopped going to the plus size section when I go clothes shopping. That's taken me.. oh, a year to stop doing it. I've also FINALLY stopped picking up larger sized clothes and holding them up to me to see if they'd look nice or not. I credit the people at work for helping me through that one - they were always like "WHY do you have a size 18 pants in your hand? You can NOT wear those anymore!"

It's a hard habit to break!