Different body types and carrying your weight well?

Options
So I am wondering if there are other people out there like me that have trouble losing weight and carry their weight "well". People are always shocked when I tell my weight. I am 5'7, 28 years old and 218 lbs but I wear a size 12 pants. Is anyone else out there close to this and have you had success with weight loss? Years ago I ran for 4 months for an hour a day and tracked everything but ended up gaining weight! So I started doing yoga and lost a lot of weight not even watching what I was eating. I ended up being 160lbs and a size 6. Now years and 2 children later I find myself struggling again. I want to walk/run and lift weights but I can't lose weight like this! And yoga is getting harder to do it hurts my joints. Anyone with similar problems?

Replies

• Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this would apply to your situation, but I have discovered that eating right has a higher impact on me. I walk and just try to keep things simple. When I follow through with this, I lose the weight. When I add in some crazy stuff, my weight does not decrease. I understand muscle has a say in this, but I'm not exactly sure how much.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I was nearly identical. 5'9" 217 pounds and people thought I looked great.

Eating is going to be the thing that really makes a difference. Setting your calorie goal appropriately and sticking to it. Weighing food is important. Getting quality fats into your diet and strength training will help with joints.
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I carry my weight... Ok. I am 5'6 and was close to 190 and not many people could tell I gained weight. I could tell tho. Ugh.

I'm not getting how you gained weight running but lost weight doing yoga! It's the opposite for me. Was there anything else you did differently when you switched to yoga?

How are you currently tracking your food?

With some small tweaks I bet you could see some progress.
  • rguzame
    rguzame Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this would apply to your situation, but I have discovered that eating right has a higher impact on me. I walk and just try to keep things simple. When I follow through with this, I lose the weight. When I add in some crazy stuff, my weight does not decrease. I understand muscle has a say in this, but I'm not exactly sure how much.

Thanks it does help! I usually try to eat at home and organic but occasionally I go out and get what I like. I will just keep things simple and see how that goes.
  • rguzame
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Eating is going to be the thing that really makes a difference. Setting your calorie goal appropriately and sticking to it. Weighing food is important. Getting quality fats into your diet and strength training will help with joints.

Thanks I do notice I go over my goal frequently and then I have to jog to get back to my goal.
  • rguzame
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    I carry my weight... Ok. I am 5'6 and was close to 190 and not many people could tell I gained weight. I could tell tho. Ugh.

I'm not getting how you gained weight running but lost weight doing yoga! It's the opposite for me. Was there anything else you did differently when you switched to yoga?

How are you currently tracking your food?

With some small tweaks I bet you could see some progress.

The only thing I did differently was stop tracking food crazy! And I am tracking now but go over and then jog to get back in range I have a Fitbit to help now too.
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing the same all my life and recently ran across an article about body types (Ectomorph, Mesomorph and Endomorph). I fall into the endomorph body type...i'm 5'11" tall and have always carried more weight than appears. This body type tends to build muscle fast and that could account for the weight gain when you were lifting. This body type is also quick to gain fat back fast! Very interesting and worth the read. Good luck on your journey! :-)
  • rguzame
    Options
    shondaj70 wrote: »
    I've been experiencing the same all my life and recently ran across an article about body types (Ectomorph, Mesomorph and Endomorph). I fall into the endomorph body type...i'm 5'11" tall and have always carried more weight than appears. This body type tends to build muscle fast and that could account for the weight gain when you were lifting. This body type is also quick to gain fat back fast! Very interesting and worth the read. Good luck on your journey! :-)

Thanks I will look into this!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    shondaj70 wrote: »

Endo/Ecto/Meso body types are not actual science. It was a suggestion published by a psychologist based on how different ways people look made him feel.

Endomorphs (which I thought I was) tend to eat more and move less than others.
    Mesomorphs tend to eat appropriately and move enough.
    Ectomorphs tend to have a low appetite, so they eat less and move a lot.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    rguzame wrote: »

Thanks I do notice I go over my goal frequently and then I have to jog to get back to my goal.
    This is probably part of the problem. Unfortunately, MFP tends to overestimate how much you burn doing physical activity. Even with a fitness device, your calories burned may be totally inaccurate. Also, humans tend to underestimate how much they eat, even when tracking diligently. Any time you are not losing fat over the long run, it is because calories in meet or exceed calories out. I'd work on increasing the accuracy of logging (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101) and not relying so much on exercise when you've gone over your calorie limit.
  • rguzame
    Options
    vismal wrote: »

This is probably part of the problem. Unfortunately, MFP tends to overestimate how much you burn doing physical activity. Even with a fitness device, your calories burned may be totally inaccurate. Also, humans tend to underestimate how much they eat, even when tracking diligently. Any time you are not losing fat over the long run, it is because calories in meet or exceed calories out. I'd work on increasing the accuracy of logging (http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101) and not relying so much on exercise when you've gone over your calorie limit.

Thanks I will focus more on the diet first!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So I am wondering if there are other people out there like me that have trouble losing weight and carry their weight "well". People are always shocked when I tell my weight. I am 5'7, 28 years old and 218 lbs but I wear a size 12 pants. Is anyone else out there close to this and have you had success with weight loss? Years ago I ran for 4 months for an hour a day and tracked everything but ended up gaining weight! So I started doing yoga and lost a lot of weight not even watching what I was eating. I ended up being 160lbs and a size 6. Now years and 2 children later I find myself struggling again. I want to walk/run and lift weights but I can't lose weight like this! And yoga is getting harder to do it hurts my joints. Anyone with similar problems?

You lose weigh by counting calories and eating at a defecit

I'm 5'8 and at goal at 160lbs but I'm around 23% BF which is lean for my age

My weight is a good 15- 20lbs over what many people target at my height but I've got a large frame by wrist and elbow and have decent musculature

I'm a UK 8-10 (US 4-6)
  • biodigit
    biodigit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    First and foremost it's your diet and it always is.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    People tell me I carry my weight well, but nothing like you... I've never in my life heard of someone with your stats. I'm 5'10, 223 lbs, and I wear a size 16 or 18 depending on brand. Where in the world do you keep your weight??? LOL.

As others have said, diet is paramount.
  • rguzame
    Options
    People tell me I carry my weight well, but nothing like you... I've never in my life heard of someone with your stats. I'm 5'10, 223 lbs, and I wear a size 16 or 18 depending on brand. Where in the world do you keep your weight??? LOL.

To be honest I think the weight is in my bra lol. I wear a 36 J US bra size in uk 36GG. I have Chronic back pain and it makes exercising a lot harder! When I was 160lbs I was down to a 36 DD.
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options

To be honest I think the weight is in my bra lol. I wear a 36 J US bra size in uk 36GG. I have Chronic back pain and it makes exercising a lot harder! When I was 160lbs I was down to a 36 DD.

Ahhh, gotcha. A blessing and a curse! At least you know they'll get smaller as your lose weight. Good luck with your journey!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options

Um yea you're probably right, wow! I had a breast reduction years ago and everyone thought I had lost weight, well I guess I kinda did, lol.
  • rguzame
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

Um yea you're probably right, wow! I had a breast reduction years ago and everyone thought I had lost weight, well I guess I kinda did, lol.

I wish I could afford a breast reduction are you happy with yours?
  • rguzame
    Options

Ahhh, gotcha. A blessing and a curse! At least you know they'll get smaller as your lose weight. Good luck with your journey!

Thank you!
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I'm also one who "carries my weight well". My profile pic is around 220 and I'm 5'3". I can comfortably wear a 6 between 175-185 lbs which still puts me in the obese category. My body doesn't lose muscle easily, which is a good thing, but it makes weight loss more difficult since I lose far more inches than pounds. I agree with those who say to focus more on your diet and less on exercise.