How to avoid FREE FOOD from work??

Options
2»

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Like seriously, I find myself scoffing so much. Well, I don't think it's THAT much and it's not unhealthy food! I work at a hospital where we serve patients so most of the food is very low fat and calling, but once I start, I get far too excited and mom my way through so much! I actually get so excited, it's like the highlight of my day. How do j stop this and resist the temptation!?!?

Call in sick everyday...yes....everyday.
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Take the free food, put it in your freezer, and save it for the days you can afford to have it in your calorie budget. If you want it badly enough, you'll make it fit.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Like seriously, I find myself scoffing so much. Well, I don't think it's THAT much and it's not unhealthy food! I work at a hospital where we serve patients so most of the food is very low fat and calling, but once I start, I get far too excited and mom my way through so much! I actually get so excited, it's like the highlight of my day. How do j stop this and resist the temptation!?!?

Avoid free food? If you work it just right, you can stock your cabinets and save some money.

Just kidding.

I just say no and walk away.

seriously though. I would bring my food scale to work and save money on buying food.

I was thinking if it's healthy food, I'd have it for lunch! Works for me if it's food that excites me :)

They'd know the nutritional info on it, since it's hospital food. I say go for it, just don't add it on top of another lunch ;)
  • starling01
    starling01 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely find some way to use free, nutritious food. Surreptitiously weigh it, or, if it's free, would anybody even care if you weighed it? Take some home with you every day? (I'd work hard to make that happen - food is expensive.) Just make it your lunch or maybe lunch and a whole day of snacks? I don't know what to say about the daily highlight. Maybe if the job is monotonous, something nice like free food might be a highlight. Most offices where I've worked, people talk about going to lunch and what they're eating for dinner all day long so the food sounds like a highlight to me.

Resisting food you don't want to eat for whatever reason is something you may have to learn how to do. It doesn't seem like a learned skill but it functioned that way for me. I did it, then did it again, and eventually I didn't pay any attention to the bagels and cream cheese in the conference room every single morning.
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    One of the perks of being a teacher is that I can eat the school lunch for free. But this year I have only been bringing my own packed lunch and not even venturing into the cafeteria (which is right across the hall from my room). I've even resisted macho nacho day! Ha ha.

It also helps to pre-log your entire day so it's all laid out. No surprises.
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    starling01 wrote: »
    I'd definitely find some way to use free, nutritious food. Surreptitiously weigh it, or, if it's free, would anybody even care if you weighed it? Take some home with you every day? (I'd work hard to make that happen - food is expensive.) Just make it your lunch or maybe lunch and a whole day of snacks? I don't know what to say about the daily highlight. Maybe if the job is monotonous, something nice like free food might be a highlight. Most offices where I've worked, people talk about going to lunch and what they're eating for dinner all day long so the food sounds like a highlight to me.

Resisting food you don't want to eat for whatever reason is something you may have to learn how to do. It doesn't seem like a learned skill but it functioned that way for me. I did it, then did it again, and eventually I didn't pay any attention to the bagels and cream cheese in the conference room every single morning.

How did you learn it ?
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm attending a 3-day long seminar at work this week, and I'm sure most of you know what organizers tend to do at work seminars....food! All day long at the table in the back, free for the taking. Donuts, bagels, pastries in the morning. Buffet brought in for lunch. Cake, cookies, brownies in the afternoon.

Almost everyone at my table of 6 has been eating from the table all throughout the day. I've not had a single thing from it, which has made me feel great about myself and staying on track with my goals! Every time I think I want something from the table, or if one of the others at my table offers to get me something, I think about whether or not I'm really, actually hungry. So far the answer has been no, so I don't have anything. I'm making sure to drink my normal amounts of water throughout the day, and that is no doubt helping.

I think if you decide you want to change your reaction to free food, you can do it. I've set goals for myself each month, such as working on no mindless eating, being ok with leaving food on my plate, changing my perception of portion sizes, no alcohol during the week and only in moderation and it if fits on the weekend...things like that.

Maybe try setting yourself a goal to focus on for one week? Set the goal to be to evaluate your hunger before you take a bite. If you're hungry, then eat! But if you're really not hungry, then wait it out, eat the food you brought with you, or the free food if it fits your plan and your goals.

Good luck!
    Karen
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Will Power is a muscle that needs to be exercised. Saying "no" will get easier each time you say it :) I also agree with the previous posters who brought up pre-logging and bringing lunch. I do that and it really helps me stay focused :)
  • kuroshii
    kuroshii Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Depending on whether you have a family at home or whatnot...can you take it home and eat it for dinner? Pack it up in the container you just emptied from having brought your lunch. If it's good healthy food, and you can log it as a meal later, why not save some money?
  • guppy1697
    guppy1697 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Boy this is something I can definitely relate to! We had bagels brought in this morning... Panera looks soo good, but I'm staying strong and it is almost lunch time!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My workplace is like this too. There is free food almost every day. At some point you just have to decide whether the food is worth it. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't.
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Two things I picked up from someone else: 1. Say to yourself, "I'm choosing not to have this," rather than saying, "I can't have this." The simple language change puts you in control and empowers you! It's amazing what a difference that little language (and thus mindset) tweak can make. 2. Say to yourself, "I'm choosing not to eat this right now; if I feel like eating it ______ (later, tomorrow, whatever), I can." I do this all the time when I'm tempted. If, for example, on the way home from work, I'm tempted to go through the drive-thru for dinner, I'll say to myself, "Tonight I'm going home and eating the healthy food I have prepped. If I still feel like eating Wendy's tomorrow, I can get Wendy's tomorrow." Again, puts me in the position of power and choice without feeling like I'm being denied something. By the time tomorrow comes, the temptation has passed.

Best of luck to you! :)
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I love when there is free food at work!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I may be reading this wrong, but you eat your patients food?

Food should not be the highlight of your day.

Oh god no! We get a lot of spare meals when people don't want to eat or change their mind. We normally have lots of fresh, still hot leftovers like sweet and sour and sausages!!!

But still totally healthy, right, because hospital?

Also, low fat <> healthy.

And a calorie surplus leading to unhealthy weight <> healthy.

My advice is to stick to your calorie and macro targets each day regardless of the seeming freeness or healthfulness of the food.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    OP you may be the first person ever who is excited about hospital food...

• firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I may be reading this wrong, but you eat your patients food?

Food should not be the highlight of your day.

No no, she eats her patients.
  • soapsandropes
    soapsandropes Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Hospital food generally looks unappetizing to me so I don't get this. Would it help if you told yourself that this is not free food, this is not your food? Free food at work can be tempting but at some point you have to set rules and then work by them (knowing that occasionally you will slip up).