help I'm slipping into my old ways

Options
I'm starting to slip into my old ways eating all the time hardly drinking eating in the evenings eating big portions I've done really well to lose 3 stone and I don't want to put it all back on can anyone help me

Replies

• Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing is to realize you're going backwards, acknowledge it and then make the decision to make the changes needed to correct the weight creep. You say you've started eating bigger portions, so right there is a great thing to work on-just cut back on your portion sizes. Simple to do, and it will help you get back on track :)
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Keep logging. Even if you know you're going to be over, log it anyways. You'll make mistakes, but everyone does. If you make a mistake, log it and start fresh the next morning. You don't have to let your mistakes control what you do. Just acknowledge that you made one, then take steps to correct.
  • lisa_roberts
    lisa_roberts Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys I will definitely keep logging for the last few days I have gone over but today I have learnt my lesson I feel sick like a dog because I have eaten far too much but I am determined to get back on track
  • lisa_roberts
    Options
    Slipped again. :-( why is this so hard?? :-(
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    this is hard. go easy on yourself.
    i find that when I'm not eating well there is something else that is going on. stressful situation or I'm tired, etc.

also check have you been depriving yourself, make sure you work the foods you love in your plan. what is the last thing you've done for yourself? in terms of self care

these are all things to look at that will help support yourself getting back " on track" good luck
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    don't focus on the negative, it really won't help motivate you and normally doesn't change habits. Think back to why you wanted to lose 3stone, how you felt when you achieved it, what you can do now and can continue to do if you stick to your plan. You will find it easier to stay on track than beating your self up.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options

You're trying to change established habits. That's why it's so hard. Now, these are habits you need to change to be healthier and keep weight off once you hit your goal, but changing established habits is much much harder than adding new ones. So maybe focus on one thing at a time. Log consistently for a couple of weeks. Make that your first habit to establish. That will give you a baseline for adjusting your eating habits. Once you see where you need to make changes, make only a couple at a time. Changing EVERYTHING all at once is a nightmare and is much easier to slip up on than taking it slow. I had much greater success only changing a couple of things and giving myself time to get used to them.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing. It sucks. I keep reminding myself that I know what I'm supposed to do. I know what works for me. I just need to do it now. We can do this.
  • lisa_roberts
    Options
    I've being doing this now for 124 days and I have noticed that when I'm on my period I be eating becomes very bad I just want to eat everything even though I'm not hungry but this has been the worst I've been going out my calories anywhere between 100 to 700 I don't like the feeling of not being in control I do really well during the day the once I've had my evening meal that's it I feel like I need to eat everything I feel sick today I Ate too much I try so hard to stay on track all day and had to come off at the end when I'm most tired I've just feel let down by myself I just don't know what to do I keep noye to all the food that I have still trying to do something right.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    beamer0821 wrote: »
    this is hard. go easy on yourself.
    i find that when I'm not eating well there is something else that is going on. stressful situation or I'm tired, etc.

also check have you been depriving yourself, make sure you work the foods you love in your plan. what is the last thing you've done for yourself? in terms of self care

these are all things to look at that will help support yourself getting back " on track" good luck

YES....

I had an awful Halloween weekend. Ate and drank liquor way over my calorie alottment..almost no exercise. Monday, I felt badly that I did not do better....

So with the kind words of my MFP friends I'm back on track.

On a different thread, I learned to put the things I like in my food diary first thing, and see how many calories I have left for the remainder of the day. That way I won't feel deprived, and can then choose better things to eat that are calorie friendly. So that means for me, more veggies (they feel you up, are good for you, and can be quiet tasty) and protein (lean chix breast baked with olive oil and seasonings - YUM). Then I will throw in 30 minutes of walking (10 minute increments throughout the day) into the mix for extra calories and the feel good endorphines. For me, I am very satisfied, and it feels doable.

Remember, this is something you will have to do long term....learning how to battle back, and get back up are just as important as good eating practices and exercise. Kind of yin and yang.....if you look at some of the success stories, many of them are people who messed up many times in their journey, but they DID NOT STOP trying.

Love yourself, accept yourself, be kind to yourself. You are human and will fall down...just get back up, one more time than you fell down. One day at a time...

peave and love

• jenathp
    jenathp Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with @mysteps2beauty ...sometimes slip! When we're on our period, when it's a party, etc. The biggest thing is to get back on track. A few days of being bad won't kill months of hard work. It might feel like it, though. So just log, get back on track and look for motivation from MFP friends. They have helped me SO MUCH in the last few weeks!!!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    OK, you've lost 3 stone and have done really well. You know what you need to do. Get back to what you were doing when you were losing. Probably weighing, logging and keeping track of your intake and exercise. Start it up again. You can get back to where you want to be. No panic. Right the ship. Get back on course. Insert your favorite motavational cliche here. Since you have lost 3 stone, you know what needs to be done. Get to it. Forgive yourself and do what nees to be done.
  • lisa_roberts
    Options
    Yay I did it I stay within my calories!!! I'm really happy with that. Thank you everyone for your help and support xxxx
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

You're trying to change established habits. That's why it's so hard. Now, these are habits you need to change to be healthier and keep weight off once you hit your goal, but changing established habits is much much harder than adding new ones. So maybe focus on one thing at a time. Log consistently for a couple of weeks. Make that your first habit to establish. That will give you a baseline for adjusting your eating habits. Once you see where you need to make changes, make only a couple at a time. Changing EVERYTHING all at once is a nightmare and is much easier to slip up on than taking it slow. I had much greater success only changing a couple of things and giving myself time to get used to them.

Bump
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    If it were easy we wouldn't all need this site. I am the queen of Halloween candy this year- over 40 pieces logged and close to 2000 calories in a few short days. But, that isn't even a pound. You can do this and you'll have an occasional slip. We all do.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Yay I did it I stay within my calories!!! I'm really happy with that. Thank you everyone for your help and support xxxx

Lisa, the next time you slip up, (you will slip up, you know, it's part of the process) don't beat youself up about it.

Look for the lesson to be learned, learn it, then throw a little happy dance party for youself (because you are closer to your goal simply by being aware of each little problem spot) and move on to the next goal.

Just being aware that a lot of problems happen on a monthly cycle is huge.

You can do this. Celebrate the positive!