Sad Servings...

Options
So, I just weighed out a serving of Reese's Pieces...and checked the numbers three times because the serving is SO SMALL. :'(

Like, so small you guys. 200 calories and it's basically a handful.

What's the most surprising/sad portion size you have discovered while trying to lose weight?

Also, I ate that portion anyway...I regret nothing.

Replies

• YamiElisa
    YamiElisa Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Cereal really got me! I discovered I was eating 2 or 3 times the actual portion size - and that a lot of them have more sugar than you think! (Not that I'm particularly watching my sugar, was just something I'd not realised.)
  • empireman85
    empireman85 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Nuts. Unless they are almonds you don't get much in a serving.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    So, I just weighed out a serving of Reese's Pieces...and checked the numbers three times because the serving is SO SMALL. :'(

What's the most surprising/sad portion size you have discovered while trying to lose weight?

Nut butters are the most obvious disappointment, but hard cheese is up there too.

I also get pretty sad sometimes about what constitutes a serving of ice cream.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    YamiElisa wrote: »
    Cereal really got me! I discovered I was eating 2 or 3 times the actual portion size - and that a lot of them have more sugar than you think! (Not that I'm particularly watching my sugar, was just something I'd not realised.)

Yeah, cereal was rough. Now instead of eating it with milk I eat it dry and just snack on the individual pieces. Cookie crisp is a good one for this. :#
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Cereal for me. I know that was one of my downfalls because I ate cereal every day, all kinds. And because I "only" ate a bowl of cereal that day, there's no way I was eating too much. Pfft--yeah, that "only" was about 4-5 times an actual serving size. One particular cereal I ate would have put me over my entire allotment of calories for the day--at maintenance level, without the milk. Yeah.

I quit cereal. Only because it really ticks me off!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    nuts.

12144690_10153711653047899_3807503618865148375_n.jpg?oh=d1019f095a5bf660ac10e36f0974d4c4&oe=568533D2&__gda__=1455091561_cf254364a81230de9c1153eb02b4d90c
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Nuts, cheese, cereal, M&Ms, salad dressing...
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Ditto on the cereal. I'm now using a tiny cereal dish as a cereal portion barely covers the bottom of my old cereal dish.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

You should have seen my face when I saw the "one serving" of cereal! LOL I don't eat it anymore. I can have a bowl of oatmeal and two eggs for the same amount of calories and be full all morning. I have to eat 3 servings of cereal to even be satisfied- much less full all morning.
  • knelson095
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »

Nut butters are the most obvious disappointment, but hard cheese is up there too.

Peanut butter was depressing until I started actually making a pb&j sammich and I realized that a serving was quite a bit more than I would typically use anyway..

And when I eat ice cream I make sure it's something really good like talenti Caribbean coconut gelato...mmm...
  • knelson095
    Options
    oolou wrote: »

Ditto on the cereal. I'm now using a tiny cereal dish as a cereal portion barely covers the bottom of my old cereal dish.

I actually had a dream the other night I was eating honey bunches of oats out of a mixing bowl. It was full.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I just started using a food scale versus measuring cups. A serving of rice looks a lot different when weighed :( because Im sure I shoved as many grains as possible into the cup! But that's why im doing it so I didnt complain (too much...)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Trail mix - an actual serving is like 3 bites. Who eats that little?!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    Well, every recommended serving seems small to me - [shame]. I really dislike eating a chaste 1/2 cup of ice cream, which is why I save a lot of calories for evening dessert and snacking. I buy the "slow churn" (i.e., less caloric) ice cream by Edy's and Turkey Hill and always have a double portion -- or even more.

I am at goal weight so I have more calories to work with. But I agree that portion sizes can be really disappointing!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

And when I eat ice cream I make sure it's something really good like talenti Caribbean coconut gelato...mmm...

pssst... try it with Magic Shell on it. Tastes like a Mounds bar. AH-MAY-ZING

• GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Ive got a smaller plate so my dinners don't look as small as they are. It works for me :)
  • knelson095
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

pssst... try it with Magic Shell on it. Tastes like a Mounds bar. AH-MAY-ZING

Whaaaat? I need this!
  • knelson095
    Options
    Ive got a smaller plate so my dinners don't look as small as they are. It works for me :)

You know, I was thinking I needed some little prep bowls for snacks.

• MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

You know, I was thinking I needed some little prep bowls for snacks.

That's such a good idea! I have little plates and glasses (clear so I can use em on my scale) but never thought of little bowls for snacks.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can deal with smaller servings of ice cream and cookies, but nuts always get me. especially pecans. :(