Binge Eating Support Group

Options
Hi Everyone!

I thought I'd make a a support group for anyone who struggles with binge eating. I have personally struggled for years and I'm just at the point where I need some support. I know I'm not the only one feeling this way. So let's use this space to share support and motivation! What has worked for you and what hasn't? Where are you now with binge eating?

Much love <3

Replies

• Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I've also struggled with binge eating on and off for many years. At the moment, I feel like I'm in a good place but that can change so quickly!

At the moment I'm going with the philosophy of not depriving myself and not starving myself. I've upped my calories from 1200 to 1600 per day. If I'm hungry, it can easily lead to a binge and once I've gone over my calories I end up thinking that I've ruined it, so I I might as well carry on and eat everything I've felt deprived of. For me 1200 just isn't enough and it's taken me years to work that one out. I'm also having a little of what I fancy. I'll have a mini chocolate bars, which feel like a treat. It's the taste and the treat that I want - I don't even miss not eating a full sized bar.
  • healthyme839
    healthyme839 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Pandora_and_her_box! Glad to hear you are in a good place :) How do you deal with wanting to eat out of boredom/frustration etc?
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Normally a cup of tea or some water. It's tough though, eating out of boredom is something I really struggle with. Sometimes I have a full blown argument with myself in my head ha ha. I find posting about it helps get it into perspective too. The embarrassment of admitting that I'm throwing a massive strop at myself because I'm not allowing myself a slice of cake makes me see how ridiculous it is and how controlled by food I am.
  • friendlygirl316
    friendlygirl316 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is the right group, but I'm pretty sure I'm a binge eater. I haven't been diagnosed with it officially, but according to some research the symptoms almost fit me to a t.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Struggling with self diagnosed binge eating. Some days I start off so great and by the end of a long, tiring day I just want to (and do) scarf down enormous amounts of calories. I have been heavy most of life, about 4 years ago I got very committed to changing my relationship with food.. Began logging all my foods and ate super clean. I went from 180 pounds and 30+% body fat to 126 pounds and 16% BF. I was super fit and lean. But last year I had multiple life changes and a major health scare with an emergency surgery.. I can't seem to rein myself in... I do well for a few days and then fall,hard... I've gained back over 25 pounds in one year. Im so frustrated...
  • fitskim
    fitskim Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @DawnEH612 I feel your pain and know that it can be frustrating going from being super lean then gaining a significant amount of weight. I was at my leanest back in May and now I'm at my heaviest. I gained over 15lbs and my binge eating has been the worst it's ever been. Just remember how great and confident you felt when you were fit and lean! I was looking through old pictures and it's helped motivate me. Wishing you all the best!
  • PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I too struggle with binge eating. I've been pretty good but I also have nights where I've eaten myself sick. It's frustrating but I'm trying to overcome it.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I got diagnosed with BED (Binge Eating Disorder) back in September 2015. After that, based on what I read about BED, it appears that binge eating is how I gained weight most often, especially after/while dieting to lose weight. Back in July2015 those Quest Protein Bars (old formulation) was a binge trigger for me, causing me to gain 39 pounds in 6 weeks by binge-eating Quest Protein Bars (12 bars at one sitting & 24 bars in a day) which made me even hungrier for more of the "wrong" stuff (i.e. pizza, McDonalds Double Quarter-Pounder, french fries, etc.) & very difficult to quit eating them. A single Quest Protein bar would raise my blood sugar by about 40 mg/dL within 1 hour (note: I'm a type-2 insulin-dependent diabetic). I tried other similar-type protein bars which had the same effect on me until I tried one called the "Diabetic Kitchen Bar" which only raised my blood sugar by about 15 mg/dL & helped me kick my Quest Protein Bar "addiction". Now I'm back down to the weight I was at before that prior binge episode with the Quest Protein Bars and haven't binged since. Keeping my daily carbs to a "moderate" amount (80-120 grams on a 1500 calorie diet) seems to help as well as sticking with low-glycemic carbs (i.e. avoiding bread, rolls, or anything made with flour or added sugar) as much as I can. For desserts, I now have Greek yogurt made by Dannon (Lite & Fit brand) in their Banana Cream or Key Lime flavors. It's also good for snacks. String cheese or Baby Bel cheese are also good quick-snacks that hold me over until meal time. I do miss not having bread but sometimes I'll have a thick ham (lots of ham) & cheese sandwich occasionally (made with Arnolds sandwich thins) if I'm desiring something with bread but try to keep those instances to a minimum as I know bread is another binge trigger for me. Also, learning to eat to my glucometer (blood sugar meter) has help to inform me how various foods, especially my binge triggers, affect my 1-hour post-meal blood sugars & keeping those readings within an acceptable range (preferable < 140 mg/dL) has pretty much eliminated my cravings for "bad" or "junk" carbs.
  • Terri70
    Terri70 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think that I'm a binge eater too. I've been eating whatever I wanted for the last 2 weeks and gained 8 lbs back. I start out the day fine and do really good until evening/dinner. Then I binge on whatever and because I did I think "to heck with it" and continue on till bedtime. I'm getting back on plan tomorrow morning in the hopes that I can do it this time. I'm so sick and tired of feeling like this.
  • ttrewolla
    ttrewolla Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I'm here for some support. I'm a binge eater, although I think the term compulsive overeater is more accurate. I just can't stop until my stomach literally feels stuffed and almost sick. Always in the evening. My husband works nights and I'm alone with my 8 year old son.

Tonight I ate 4 slices of pizza, 4 stuffed cheese bread and 4 hostess cupcakes. Total of 2,600 calories in the span of 40 minutes.. I knew I shouldn't eat it. I told myself I didn't want more....but I kept shovelling it in.

I don't know where to go for help to just NOT eat!!

Sigh
  • skheather
    skheather Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I find November dreary and depressing. I have time on my hands and I start eating. Once I start it just keeps on. I really know better but I just can't seem to get back in the groove.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    Reading your comments, I completely understand/recognise/sympathise so many of the things you list. I think I jinxed myself by saying I was in a good place the other day! Been feeling really fed up the last couple of days and have just binged on everything I want to make myself feel 'better'. Didn't even bother trying to rationalise it, just grabbed the next thing and stuffed.
  • ee1972
    ee1972 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with BED, but unfortunately can't make it to any of the support groups in my area because of time constraints.
    Yesterday for the first time in what feels like forever I managed to resist the urge to binge and go workout instead!!! I know, right? The last thing you want to do when you feel like bingeing is working out ... but I felt really awesome afterwards and was so proud of myself.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    ee1972 wrote: »
    I have been diagnosed with BED, but unfortunately can't make it to any of the support groups in my area because of time constraints.
    Yesterday for the first time in what feels like forever I managed to resist the urge to binge and go workout instead!!! I know, right? The last thing you want to do when you feel like bingeing is working out ... but I felt really awesome afterwards and was so proud of myself.

Excellent idea! Working out or even just walking can help make that "urge to binge" go away or at least reduce it to a level low enough to avoid a binge episode.