Sad Servings...

Options

Replies

• runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Hands down- Muffins, banana breads, croissants- anything in Starbucks pastry area.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I love cashews, and one serving is 28g/150 cal...it's such a minuscule amount after I weigh it out, not even a handful lol.
  • knelson095
    knelson095 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I love cashews, and one serving is 28g/150 cal...it's such a minuscule amount after I weigh it out, not even a handful lol.

Yes, my husband keeps a jar of them in his truck and I always put them in the back so I'm not tempted. There is no way I can eyeball a serving of them. :( I love them too.

• desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, chocolate, cake/brownies
  • VykkDraygoVPR
    VykkDraygoVPR Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Nuts. I love nuts, but it takes way too many to be satisfying. Still eat then, just far less often.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Mac n' cheese. Seriously, THAT'S a serving? Even a serving and a half is small.
  • SaraB_82
    SaraB_82 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Craft beers! You drink two or three and it can be more than half of your day's calories. I also have to mix my morning coffee with a measuring tablespoon just so I can keep using my beloved half-and-half.
  • charlieandcarol
    charlieandcarol Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    What is happening here is because the government is getting tougher on food labelling and there is a star health system coming in for food per serve, the manufacturers are decreasing the size of a serve on the nutritional panel so that they can get a better rating because it then takes up a lessor portion of your recommended daily cals/fat/sugar allotment. So some things that were sold as a single serve, are the same size but now are two serves or sometimes 1.5 which is a dumb number. They haven't made any attempt to make it obvious that that is what they have done so it tricks some people. And can also be depressing...
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Ive got a smaller plate so my dinners don't look as small as they are. It works for me :)

You know, I was thinking I needed some little prep bowls for snacks.

Get toddler bowls. Seriously, I got little plates/bowls for my son at IKEA and dang if they aren't perfect for making a single serving look decadent!

Plus I get to eat out of a bright pink bowl. Win/win!
  • teresadutton
    teresadutton Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    umm EVERYTHING "good" its no wonder I was 100lbs over weight, I was eating at least 3 portions of everything
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    Craft beers! You drink two or three and it can be more than half of your day's calories. I also have to mix my morning coffee with a measuring tablespoon just so I can keep using my beloved half-and-half.

Oh that's so true when 2 drafts is more then lunch. But there is some nutrition right?
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    The things I probably miss most is peanut butter and macaroni and cheese. I will have them on rare occasions (maybe one of them every 6 weeks or so), but I usually can't justify the calories.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nuts and pasta.
  • teephil
    teephil Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Potato chips! Pretty much one handful.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,929 Member
    Options
    Wine

You beat me to it. I learned that when I did Weight Watchers back in the 90s. I used to garden with a "glass" or two of wine after work.

51v0CvNfrhL._SY355_.jpg
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and chocolate... my two favourite things sigh lol
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    So, I just weighed out a serving of Reese's Pieces...and checked the numbers three times because the serving is SO SMALL. :'(

Like, so small you guys. 200 calories and it's basically a handful.

What's the most surprising/sad portion size you have discovered while trying to lose weight?

Also, I ate that portion anyway...I regret nothing.

Never regret eating a serving of something sooooo delicious!

That said, everything because my servings prior to weight management were very big. Now, they are very small, but somehow it all seems to come out to just enough. I certainly enjoy food more now.
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    oolou wrote: »
    YamiElisa wrote: »
    Cereal really got me! I discovered I was eating 2 or 3 times the actual portion size - and that a lot of them have more sugar than you think! (Not that I'm particularly watching my sugar, was just something I'd not realised.)

Ditto on the cereal. I'm now using a tiny cereal dish as a cereal portion barely covers the bottom of my old cereal dish.

I actually had a dream the other night I was eating honey bunches of oats out of a mixing bowl. It was full.

Hahaha I used to frequently have dreams about eating big bowls of cereal, or grocery shopping for all the delicious cereals! I wonder if it has anything to do with my mom restricting cereals and never allowing us to have the "sugar cereals". Plain Cheerios or wheat puffs only growing up. Probably the only thing my mom made sure was restricted!
  • superhockeymom
    superhockeymom Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Wine

You beat me to it. I learned that when I did Weight Watchers back in the 90s. I used to garden with a "glass" or two of wine after work.

51v0CvNfrhL._SY355_.jpg

You're my hero.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Bread and cereal for me. Recommended serving sizes for delicious cereals like granola are tiny. An opposite example is porridge. My typical breakfast over the last couple of weeks has been porridge - 60g of oats and about 330g of water make a huge bowlful, and are very filling, especially with a bit of protein added. If I eyeballed a similar VOLUME of granola, I'd easily consume three or four times the amount of calories.