A book on why diet soda is bad for you?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited October 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I need help.
Spouse is addicted to diet soda.
It's not about the cost. It's about all those chemicals.
I am guessing at least a 2 liter bottle a day.
I have cliped articles, sent emails on links to site, done what I can.
I think a book would help.
Such as : Why diet soda kills your health. or something similar
I imagine no such thing, since pepsi and coke donate billions to the government yearly. A book like that would never even touch the shelves.
Anyone ever seen such a book?
Even the diet mt dew has bromide, which is linked to all kinds of problems
I have not found a book

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    What added chemicals do you think are in diet soda?
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    it's not the aspartame that I'm worried about - it's the added chemicals
    plus, it's replacing other fluids like water that can help the liver work better
    even bromide can hamper good thyroid function, slow cognitive function, harm kidneys and tax the liver

But soda is water. Like 98% water.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    :warning: If your husband is not ready & willing to change, no amount of informing or badgering will make him change. :warning:

And if you're giving information, make sure your sources are good.
    Here's a good place to start looking for peer-reviewed published scientific studies on health-related topics.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed

I started with the search string [diet soda health], which brought up 13 pages of studies, some of which are
    relevant and many of which are not. Here are a couple to start with.

Positive association between artificially sweetened beverage consumption and incidence of diabetes
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26186883

Diet soda intake is associated with long-term increases in waist circumference in a biethnic cohort of older adults: the San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25780952
    "increasing diet soda intake was associated with escalating abdominal obesity, a potential pathway for cardiometabolic risk"

BTW, the search string [diet soda health bromide] gave no results.
    So did [diet soda bromide].
    So did [health brominated vegetable oil soda].
    So did [brominated vegetable oil soda].

[brominated vegetable oil] has 28 returns.

One study says that they tested a range of sodas and found a BVO percentage of 1.8-14.510 mg per liter.
    Another says "A number of citrus soft drinks were analyzed and contained 3.5-3.9 mg brominated oil/10 fl. oz".

This is in spanish, but talks about liver metabolism. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1342177
    This is also in spanish, talking about toxicological effects of chronic intake. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3632217

[health bromide] has lots of returns, but most seem to be irrelevant.

Estimating Potential Increased Bladder Cancer Risk Due to Increased Bromide Concentrations in Sources of Disinfected Drinking Waters
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26489011
    Basically says that bromine/bromide bonds with trihalomethanes to become problematic.
    Not sure what the concentration is in various diet sodas. You'll have to do some searching.

"a bromide increase of 50 µg/L could result in a potential increase of between 10^-3 to 10^-4 excess lifetime bladder cancer risk in roughly 90% of [water treatment plants]"

So an increase of 50 micrograms (= 0.05 milligrams = 0.00005 grams),
    _could_ cause an increase of 1 case in 1000 people, or maybe 1 case in 10,000 people.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Leave the man alone with his soda. Please. <3
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Agreed!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I drank that much (more) diet soda daily for decades without any negative health effects that could be attributed to diet soda (except for dental cavities, which could have just as easily been from many other factors).

Your body uses the water from diet soda.

Aspartame is not bad for you, unless you have a rare genetic condition.

Miscellaneous "chemicals" are impossible to assess, but one could just as easily argue that the chemicals in apples are bad for you.

It sounds like you are actually the one who needs to be educated.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »

Yeah...think about the women out there who's spouses are addicted to drugs or alcohol. If drinking diet soda is his only fault you totally hit the jackpot.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Poor guy.

Obviously you've googled this, so if you can't find a book on an idea you made up...maybe your hypothesis is wrong.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your husband has basically replaced water with soda. At the very least that's bad for his teeth. It also might predispose him to stomach ulcers and erosions. But honestly, there are much worse vices out there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I do agree that a liter a day is excessive but I have no room to judge. I have weird vices between all my gum chewing and Walden Farms guzzling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Leave the poor guy alone.

My mother used to send me articles about her mental illness and its treatment because she thought I should be informed. I filed them in the bucket under my desk. I had a front row seat to the consequences of her disease - and her narcicissim - and if I needed more exposure I knew where to look.

Who is in charge of cooking in your home? Why not focus on a different healthy meal every week?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I'm a toxicologist...I got nothing. Even 2 liters/day would be well within exposure guidelines set by safety experiments.
  • heatherlorrainewilliams
    Options
    Hi there, I also have a significant diet coke addiction - the more I think about it and the more people pester/point it out to me the more I end up drinking, even thinking about reducing it/giving it up set's off a stress reaction. Unless he want's to give it up he is not going to and constantly pointing it out to him or giving him articles really won't help unless he want's to stop it. If/when he is ready then support him with it otherwise like others have said there are many other substances/habits he could have which would be a lot worse.
  • cristinaguglielmini7
    Options
    There's a terrific Australian documentary movie all about the sugar industry titled, 'That Sugar Film', which I highly recommend you get your hands on. If your spouse cares about his health, it will be life changing. BUT, the industry has scientifically formulated sugar (and even hidden it in so called "healthy options") to be as ADDICTIVE as NICOTINE and COCAINE, which is precisely why it's hard to kick. He might not kick it right away, but the information and physical evidence in the film, of the real and serious health issues, will sit in his subconscious and until he is ready to do something about it. The same way any addict operates - you know it's slowly killing you, but you keep on doing it anyway. Good luck with it. You seem to be a wonderful caring spouse.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think if there was undisputable clinical evidence that diet soda ruins your health, you would have found it already.
    There's a terrific Australian documentary movie all about the sugar industry titled, 'That Sugar Film', which I highly recommend you get your hands on. If your spouse cares about his health, it will be life changing. BUT, the industry has scientifically formulated sugar (and even hidden it in so called "healthy options") to be as ADDICTIVE as NICOTINE and COCAINE, which is precisely why it's hard to kick. He might not kick it right away, but the information and physical evidence in the film, of the real and serious health issues, will sit in his subconscious and until he is ready to do something about it. The same way any addict operates - you know it's slowly killing you, but you keep on doing it anyway. Good luck with it. You seem to be a wonderful caring spouse.

But the OP is talking about diet soda, which doesn't have any sugar. If they were drinking 2 litres of normal coke a day then yeah, that would be a problem.

OP: I think if there was undisputable clinical evidence that diet soda ruins your health, you would have found it already in your online research, and wouldn't need to ask here. So I don't think you really need to worry.

There are loads of chemicals in tap water and mineral water also.

Still, if he feels the need to drink 2 litres a day I wonder if it's a caffeine addiction (45mg per can) - does he say he feels better after drinking it? Is he drinking any coffee or tea too?