Calories

Options
Is it okto up calories by 200 every week or should it be 100

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    there aren't really any rules...i went straight to my maintenance calories...granted, i dialed back my deficit when i got close to goal so I only really needed to add 250 calories or so in.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    there aren't really any rules...i went straight to my maintenance calories...granted, i dialed back my deficit when i got close to goal so I only really needed to add 250 calories or so in.
    Ok because i look at other and they say you should up you calories a 100 a week because you will gain the weight
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Neither! Make it 75.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    It depends, if you have a big jump it is sometimes easier both mentally and physically to do it incrementally.
    If you are going from 1200- 1450, it is a relatively big jump. If it is 2000- 2250, much smaller.
    Going up 500+ cals a day can be quite intimidating to some.

It is a personal preference. Do it how you are most comfortable.

Cheers, h.
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. :smile:

I went from MFP "lose 1lb per week" (1,240 cals) to "lose 1/2lb per week" (1,450 cals) to "maintain weight" (1,710 cals), rather than manually adjusting my cals. But you can do it quicker or faster.

It's fine if you just want to switch straight to full maintenance cals, but people often prefer to do it gradually because they're scared of regaining weight and doing it gradually is easier mentally. Be aware that while you're eating less than maintenance, you may still lose a bit more weight (though increasingly slowly).
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said. :smile:

I went from MFP "lose 1lb per week" (1,240 cals) to "lose 1/2lb per week" (1,450 cals) to "maintain weight" (1,710 cals), rather than manually adjusting my cals. But you can do it quicker or faster.

It's fine if you just want to switch straight to full maintenance cals, but people often prefer to do it gradually because they're scared of regaining weight and doing it gradually is easier mentally. Be aware that while you're eating less than maintenance, you may still lose a bit more weight (though increasingly slowly).

Thanks