Desire to keep eating :(

Options
ZeXea
ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
hi all!
I've decided to sort of try to "maintain" weight for holidays. Which really means try to eat a bit more but still be in deficit.
So I upped from 1250 to 1550. I normally work out 3-6 times a week and burn 400 calories.
I don't eat back those calories (please don't lecture me on this, it's my personal choice thank you :) )
However this week I've been just...really hungry. I have eaten my 1550 and end up eating back all the calories I burned. So now I'm really on maintanence which is sort of bad since I wanted a deficit for the buffet were having for lunch Friday.
Has anyone else had days straight of just wanting to eat quite a lot and not being settled until eating much more than planned?
How did you get over it?
I always eat most after work when I'm home and have worked out.

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've made it through the holidays for the past several years without gaining a pound. I set my cals at maintenance (2000 or so for me), workout as usual most days, but don't stress if life gets in the way, log all my food (pre-logging can help with all the goodies - eat three of those shortbread cookies because that's what I logged, and no more!), and no worries if I go over a few times - it's no big deal. I make sure to drink plenty of water, and get good sleep as much as possible.

The thing that keeps me from overeating is remembering how much I detest that over-stuffed feeling that comes about 20 minutes later. It's horrible, and I remind myself how much nicer it is and how much more enjoyable food is when I stop before going overboard. I feel better right away, and I'll feel better in the long run for staying within goals.

So a lot of it is mindset for me, and some planning ahead. These are things I can do for life, and I plan on enjoying holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc for many years to come, and keeping the weight off! Cheers! :smiley:
  • paxbfl
    paxbfl Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time too, but these 3 things help. First, eat smaller, more frequent meals. While calories in is calories in, I have a much easier time staying under control if I eat more often. If I wait until I'm STARVING, I have a hard time controlling how much I eat. To your experience, I find the evening can be especially hard if a long time has passed since dinner. Second, watch out for simple carbs like sweets that cause your blood sugar to rise, then crash. For me, if I eat cookies I will crave cookies again in a few hours. Finally, drink lots of water. This really helps me stay in control. Hope that helps!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Why not aim to eat in a bigger deficit than usual but not restrict yourself at buffets/gatherings etc?
  • sdcamp3020
    sdcamp3020 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have days when I could eat the wallpaper off the walls; nothing seems to satisfy me. I found out that it is a hormonal problem. Once I knew what the problem was, it made it easier to walk away from the fridge and right out the door. When I can't get satisfied, I go for a long walk. Then, if I am still hungry when I get back, I eat a small bowl of oatmeal. This is the only food that will fill me up on those days.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein and fats?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why not aim to eat in a bigger deficit than usual but not restrict yourself at buffets/gatherings etc?

I do that. Technically, I aim for a 1000-1500 calorie deficit most weeks, but I keep a 400 deficit in my diary. Most days I'll stick to that, but it means that I have extra calories if I'm hungrier or want an extra cupcake another day or something.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    ZBennyXOXO wrote: »
    So I upped from 1250 to 1550. I normally work out 3-6 times a week and burn 400 calories.
    I don't eat back those calories (please don't lecture me on this, it's my personal choice thank you :) )

Your "personal choices" are terribly unhealthy. There's a good reason why MFP advises you to eat your exercise calories back.

Thank god their MY CHOICES then right? You can stick to yours.
  • ZeXea
    Options

I am hoping to try that, this week has been a major bust. I am not sure if due to Mother Nature or what but I'm eating at 1650-1800 calories per day without workout and 2000 with. Come buffet time on Friday I am not having any spare calories it seems. I'll have to spend the weekend burning It off most likely.

Apologies I'm a bit blue over feeling like I can't seem to get a good "maintanence groove" ATM.
  • juanparrajara
    juanparrajara Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If I want to maintain a deficit and have cravings I usually eat my normal stuff but drink a lot more water (until I'm bloated). If it's sweet cravings I drink fruit punch BCAA. I also may incorporate an extra protein shake with some added elements like berries, Greek yogurt and perhaps almond milk. Basically, eat what you have planned but try to drink more stuff like protein shake, BCAA's or water to satisfy cravings?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Your "personal choices" are terribly unhealthy. There's a good reason why MFP advises you to eat your exercise calories back.

If your choices are leading directly to the problem you've decided to ask for help with, then expecting that your choices not be addressed in the responses may not be realistic.

Your hunger is probably related to the fact that you aren't eating back your exercise calories. Your body can't continue to run on much less than it needs. Your hunger is probably your body's attempt to communicate that.
  • ZeXea
    Options

If your choices are leading directly to the problem you've decided to ask for help with, then expecting that your choices not be addressed in the responses may not be realistic.

Your hunger is probably related to the fact that you aren't eating back your exercise calories. Your body can't continue to run on much less than it needs. Your hunger is probably your body's attempt to communicate that.

Thats funny, I ate the exercise calories back and was still hungry.
    Also funny other people could respond without having to bring up my choices.

If someone cant answer the question without bringing it up, I dont need their help. And they didnt help at all so i dont care at all for their comment and i'm ok with letting it be known.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Just so its clear again, here's what I ASKED
    Has anyone else had days straight of just wanting to eat quite a lot and not being settled until eating much more than planned?
    How did you get over it?

Not "Please comment on my choices because I care about your opinions".
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Are you getting enough protein and fats?

Im not sure, I think I am? I usually hit my protein and fat goals.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    If I want to maintain a deficit and have cravings I usually eat my normal stuff but drink a lot more water (until I'm bloated). If it's sweet cravings I drink fruit punch BCAA. I also may incorporate an extra protein shake with some added elements like berries, Greek yogurt and perhaps almond milk. Basically, eat what you have planned but try to drink more stuff like protein shake, BCAA's or water to satisfy cravings?
    I havent had a protien shake in months, but ill look into it to see if it can help :) Thanks!

Maybe I should try drinking more water. I drink about 10 8oz cups a day so far. Maybe more would be good.
    sdcamp3020 wrote: »
    I have days when I could eat the wallpaper off the walls; nothing seems to satisfy me. I found out that it is a hormonal problem. Once I knew what the problem was, it made it easier to walk away from the fridge and right out the door. When I can't get satisfied, I go for a long walk. Then, if I am still hungry when I get back, I eat a small bowl of oatmeal. This is the only food that will fill me up on those days.
    I LOVE oatmeal. I have oatmeal about 2-3 times a day if I can. I just really love it, as well as cream of wheat :) But I think pumpkin spice oatmeal isnt as filling as cream of wheat. Maybe I should eat that before dinner or after to help fill me up?

I hope it's not a hormonal problem
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    I've made it through the holidays for the past several years without gaining a pound. I set my cals at maintenance (2000 or so for me), workout as usual most days, but don't stress if life gets in the way, log all my food (pre-logging can help with all the goodies - eat three of those shortbread cookies because that's what I logged, and no more!), and no worries if I go over a few times - it's no big deal. I make sure to drink plenty of water, and get good sleep as much as possible.

The thing that keeps me from overeating is remembering how much I detest that over-stuffed feeling that comes about 20 minutes later. It's horrible, and I remind myself how much nicer it is and how much more enjoyable food is when I stop before going overboard. I feel better right away, and I'll feel better in the long run for staying within goals.

So a lot of it is mindset for me, and some planning ahead. These are things I can do for life, and I plan on enjoying holidays, birthdays, vacations, etc for many years to come, and keeping the weight off! Cheers! :smiley:

Im not getting the overstuffed feeling actually, I dont want it either. I had it recently and it was awful. I just dont feel comfortable with how much I ate. Like, where I could sit and not think about how I feel a bit hungry and want to eat more.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

If someone cant answer the question without bringing it up, I dont need their help. And they didnt help at all so i dont care at all for their comment and i'm ok with letting it be known.

When we ask for advice online, we may sometimes get advice that doesn't meet our needs. If people are trying to help, it may be better to accept their advice in the spirit in which it is given instead of getting angry and attacking.

If you are eating 1,550 and really burning 400, you are netting a very low amount. Trying to answer your question of why you're hungry without addressing that you may be netting below 1,200 calories isn't truly helpful. It may be what you WANT people to do, but sometimes what we want isn't the best way to determine what we need.

If you are still struggling with hunger even during periods when you are netting a sufficient number of calories, the issue may be with the specific foods you're eating -- things like fiber, protein, and fat can make a big difference in how full we feel.
  • ZeXea
    Options

When we ask for advice online, we may sometimes get advice that doesn't meet our needs. If people are trying to help, it may be better to accept their advice in the spirit in which it is given instead of getting angry and attacking.

If you are eating 1,550 and really burning 400, you are netting a very low amount. Trying to answer your question of why you're hungry without addressing that you may be netting below 1,200 calories isn't truly helpful. It may be what you WANT people to do, but sometimes what we want isn't the best way to determine what we need.

If you are still struggling with hunger even during periods when you are netting a sufficient number of calories, the issue may be with the specific foods you're eating -- things like fiber, protein, and fat can make a big difference in how full we feel.

Apologies if I seem angry with you. I have just been quite frustrated that, no matter how to phrase a question or in what way or nicety, someone with some god-complex or ego driven jerk feels the need to comment unkindly. Whether it be just insulting or condescending or rudely snarky. It's like they see 'oh hey 10 people commented helpful advice, i need to be the **** that comments something unhelpful!'.

I usually seem to buy low fat things, but usually with protein in it. Maybe I will try to look more at fats and google up things that will help me feel fuller longer.

Thank you very much for your help, I do truly appreciate it.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    I went back to my food diary, ive been eating little LITTLE protein. Really odd, I thought I was eating so much.
    Time to work on that! Thank you everyone who mentioned that! I cant believe I didnt notice that :(!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    What I end up doing is spreading out my calories over the day. If I find I'm eating a lot more to be satisfied, I split some calories off my meals and have snacks. That tends to curb that feeling for me. Protein and carbs help out too, though some people don't find that filling.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Often times I find I'm more hungry depending on WHAT I'm eating. Are you getting enough protein? Also, TOM week I usually eat a lot more (and CRAVE carbs like you wouldn't believe). I've decided to make peace with it for the most part. I try to make good choices but sometimes I'm just so hungry so I eat more and that's OK as long as I don't go over maintenance. That being said, I make sure I'm actually hungry. Sometimes its a "yeah, I could eat" kind of feeling in which case I just drink water until the feeling passes.