Why are some people getting fatter?

Options
Ok so we get fat because we eat too much... I wonder though, what causes us to eat too much? I was talking to my mom the other day about how sometimes my kids are just too wild when we go out to eat, asked her if we were the same, and she said we just loved food too much so it was never an issue with us... we'd just eat.

What makes my kids stop eating when they're full and say no to dessert while that just never happened to me as a kid and I ALWAYS had room for dessert?

I was reading in a magazine that if a pregnant woman drinks more than 2 cups of coffee, the kids will be more likely to be overweight later... I also read everywhere when my kids were babies that if you add rice to their bottle, it messes up their hunger signals and they'll be less likely to overeat later (my mom did that with us - I didn't do it with my kids).

I don't know how accurate that is, but could there be some factors that make some people eat more?

I mean obviously for some people it's just because they eat too many calories by always eating on the go and not being particularly careful about their food choices... but I also know people who self regulate pretty well and are happy with small servings of food, or people like me who just love food so much that they have no issue having a cookie if they are not hungry at all.

So what caused that difference? I mean surely it must come from somewhere?

Replies

• tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Why are people still lined up in the McDonald's Drive Thru? Why do people still smoke cigarettes?
  • Cobourg
    Cobourg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    perhaps there is more sugar and chemicals in our food and some people are more sensitive to them.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    With my first child I didn't have a sip off coffee the entire pregnancy. With my second child, I drank at least 2 cups of coffee a day. They're both considered underweight for their height right now so I'm curious if that coffee study holds true in the future.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Ok so we get fat because we eat too much... I wonder though, what causes us to eat too much? I was talking to my mom the other day about how sometimes my kids are just too wild when we go out to eat, asked her if we were the same, and she said we just loved food too much so it was never an issue with us... we'd just eat.

What makes my kids stop eating when they're full and say no to dessert while that just never happened to me as a kid and I ALWAYS had room for dessert?

I was reading in a magazine that if a pregnant woman drinks more than 2 cups of coffee, the kids will be more likely to be overweight later... I also read everywhere when my kids were babies that if you add rice to their bottle, it messes up their hunger signals and they'll be less likely to overeat later (my mom did that with us - I didn't do it with my kids).

I don't know how accurate that is, but could there be some factors that make some people eat more?

I mean obviously for some people it's just because they eat too many calories by always eating on the go and not being particularly careful about their food choices... but I also know people who self regulate pretty well and are happy with small servings of food, or people like me who just love food so much that they have no issue having a cookie if they are not hungry at all.

Maybe they're just different people who can't be expected to be identical in appetite, behavior, or preferences.

What makes some kids brattier?

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why are people still lined up in the McDonald's Drive Thru? Why do people still smoke cigarettes?

You haven't read my post, have you?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    One reason: many foods are just more calorie dense per serving. Also I started a thread a while a back at why people may possibly like carbs so much and why many may overindulge in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254582/a-possible-reason-why-people-love-carbs-so-much#latest

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Francl27
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    One reason: many foods are just more calorie dense per serving. Also I started a thread a while a back at why people may possibly like carbs so much and why many may overindulge in them.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10254582/a-possible-reason-why-people-love-carbs-so-much#latest

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That doesn't explain why my 7yo kids skip dessert while I always wanted more at the same age though.
  • DeguelloTex
    edited November 2015
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

That doesn't explain why my 7yo kids skip dessert while I always wanted more at the same age though.
    Why do some seven year olds like math or dinosaurs or the color orange or brussels sprouts and some don't?

My younger daughter is a bread and carb fiend. My older rarely even eats desserts. I'm not really sure why it would matter why, in a practical sense.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    because serving sizes are ridiculous
    because some of the delicious foods are calorie bombs.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Out of my cousins and probably my friends as well, I was always the only one who loved eating food and whatever was served at the table when my family was visiting people... Everyone else my age always skipped eating and just played around. I was the only fat one too. :D
  • Francl27
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Why do some seven year olds like math or dinosaurs or the color orange or brussels sprouts and some don't?

So you mean that some kids naturally don't like food as much as others?
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 688 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Yeah exactly, you're trying to look for a simple (or somewhat simple) answer to really complicated questions like why people's brains function differently, and why certain people enjoy things others don't, or why someone is smarter or more artistic, or really anything that controls or is related to behavior.

I understand what you're curious about, but I don't think it's as simple as saying if you drink coffee while pregnant, your kid will lack hunger signals. Some of it is genetic, some of it is based on life and experience and nurture and a million other factors.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Out of my cousins and probably my friends as well, I was always the only one who loved eating food and whatever was served at the table when my family was visiting people... Everyone else my age always skipped eating and just played around. I was the only fat one too. :D

Yep, lol.
  • DeguelloTex
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I mean that some kids, and adults, naturally don't like X as much as others. Food is one X. There are a near infinite number of Xs.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Personal preferences.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I mean that some kids, and adults, naturally don't like X as much as others. Food is one X. There are a near infinite number of Xs.

This, and numerous other reasons
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Probably
  • lx3tx
    lx3tx Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Maybe because you raised your kids in a different food environment? Growing up, I was surrounded by cookies and candy and soda. Also huge eaters so I feel like I naturally fell into that. As an adult, I've been around different families where they don't have that stuff around and don't eat as much as my family did. I noticed the kids in those families don't care about food as much either. So maybe environment has some to do with it and maybe not.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

But if part of the reason they don't want dessert is because you didnt put rice cereal in their bottle wouldn't the overall trend be less people getting fat since the common recommendation is not to do that anymore?
    I mean people still do it but I'm guessing fewer since people are told not to now.

As for coffee, I'm not sure if women drink more/less or the same nowadays as opposed to "back then".