New and need to lose 175 pounds

Options
Embarrassing to write that? Absolutely. If there is anyone that can relate or is in the same boat I would love to keep each other motivated. I'm also old!! I'm 45, which blows. So that's my story. I hope a year from now I'm telling a different one.

Replies

• GCLauren
    GCLauren Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Nothing to be embarrassed about! :) You've recognized that you need to make a change and are taking the steps to get there. That's what matters. Good for you.
  • fbcarlson
    fbcarlson Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You are owning it and making the changes needed to make it better. That is all we can do. Good luck!
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options

@gclauren and @fbcarlson

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement. I feel so good about myself in so many other ways, yet weight has a way of making all other accomplishments seem like nothing. Sorry to ramble. I promise I'm not a total Debbie downer. I am happy to be started and to be here. I look forward to being able to get inspired and hopefully be an inspiration as my journey continues.

Is it ok if I add you two as friends? Thank you.
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options
    Also if anyone else is in the "boat" of needing to lose over 100 pounds or over 150 then please feel free to friend me. I would love to be a support as well as gain support and knowledge from people facing the same hill. Thank you. :)
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    You're not old and you have nothing to be embarrassed about :)
    I hope MFP is useful for you - good luck and stay strong.
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options
    You're not old and you have nothing to be embarrassed about :)
    I hope MFP is useful for you - good luck and stay strong.

That's so sweet of you. Thank you so much! :)
  • 2sweetboys
    2sweetboys Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Great job taking the first step it can be the hardest and putting yourself out there helps make you accountable this app is great you can get like minded friends that are on the same journey. I'm 41 and have had the ups and downs of weight lost and gain add me as a friend if you like
    Good luck!!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem! At least you're wanting to do something about it. :) I'm proud of you! Sent you a friend request! I personally need to lose around 100 lbs. It's tough, but the end result is worth it!
  • doesthisappmakemelookfat
    Options
    I'm 46, so I get what you're saying there. It's a game changer. I don't think my good years are behind me or anything like that, but motivations are totally different! It's a different game entirely. Good luck with your journey.
  • lenavazquez11
    lenavazquez11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am 47 and grandmother of 12 so don't feel old. I don't. In my minds eye I am still young and not overweight. I shock myself when I catch an accidental glance at myself in windows or mirrors and I'm like "Is that really me?" so I decided to make the inner me and the outer me reflective. I'm not down on myself, don't get me wrong, I know the road I have traveled and it has not been easy. But, I have a long way to go still and I want to make sure my body will get me there, so it is time I make the changes necessary and start taking care of me. I think that is what we are all here for and I encourage each and everyone of us that we are up to this and it is possible. Anyone who would like to friend me I would really appreciate it because we all need all the support and encouragement we can get.
  • cuttnone
    cuttnone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I personally have 160 lbs to shed. I am 54 years old, a mother of 2 and since June have been building my plan to overcome a life long food addiction. I need a hip replacement, after consulting with 3 surgeons I have been told by all 3 of them that I need a BMI under 28. That means in order to have the replacement I want to drop over 60 pounds. So I figure that the final outcome should be a healthy weight for my height! I am going to take this journey all the way! For the first time in my life I feel totally in control.
    I think the hardest part for me is to remember that I want to stay focused throughout this journey. On a bad day I forget that there is a prize, a reason for this walk, I sink into the muck of cloudy, negative thoughts. I am experiencing fewer out of control days, but must remember that when they do happen I want to get my head right back into the journey. My long term goal is to be truly healthy, weight and mind combined.
    I am fortunate that my husband has a FSA account through his work and the guidelines state that with a BMI over 30 you qualify with a doctor prescription you can be reimbursed for excercise. I have had the good fortune of finding a fitness coach, she is also a certified Pilates instructor. She has reformer beds for doing those exercises so that I am able to work out building muscle around my hip. If you have a before tax account for wellness contact them and see how they can help you!
    My goal for the next two weeks is to eat 5 fruits and vegetables a day!

• StacyJanJ
    StacyJanJ Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    You can do this!!! You are not old!! Happy to help support you! :smile:
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    It will take a long time, but if you're patient and dedicated, you can achieve any goal you strive for.
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options
    @lenavazquez11 - wow - so many grandkids. Good for you! I'm sure that keeps you busy and brings joy. It sounds like you have a very good inner spirit to match your glowing smile. I appreciate your encouragement.

@cuttnone thank you for sharing the journey you're on. You will do it, and there is so much light at the end of the tunnel. A healthier you, a new dancin hip and overall wellness. Thanks for the top on the insurance thing. I'll check. Right now I have a personal trainer, but it would be nice to see if some of that would be covered. Keep going and know I'm here for you!

@WBFFWinnerJune2016 - thank you for taking time to send a note of encouragement. Means a lot!

@gamesandgains - thank you :)
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    45andgettinghealthy Posts: 13 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I want to apologize if I offended anyone with the "I'm old" comment. I didn't mean it in a "my life is over" type way. I just meant it from a relative standpoint in terms of how our bodies change as we age in terms of weight loss, etc. I also said it because I feel like "gosh - I should know better. How did I allow this to happen?" That's all. Trust me, "old" is a state of mind. Especially in the world we live in today. My grandmother just recently passed and she would have been 100 this month. She was still getting around, and full of life.

Thank you all again. I just wanted to clear that up so I didn't offend anyone.

• jordanueastwood
    jordanueastwood Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed we all have to start somewhere and we are all here to support each other! Don't worry about age we are all here to get healthy! :D feel free to add
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed we all have to start somewhere and we are all here to support each other! Don't worry about age we are all here to get healthy! :D feel free to add

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it! :smiley:
  • indianaglover
    indianaglover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just lose 125 lbs myself. Just eat clean , white meats such as chicken and seafood ground turkey, no pork, and lots of fresh veggies and fruit and complex carbs not simple cards. No junk or soda. All water :) good luck u can do it
  • 45andgettinghealthy
    Options
    I just lose 125 lbs myself. Just eat clean , white meats such as chicken and seafood ground turkey, no pork, and lots of fresh veggies and fruit and complex carbs not simple cards. No junk or soda. All water :) good luck u can do it

Oh my gosh, really? You look fantastic! You don't look like you ever had extra weight. Good for you. I'm so glad I joined MFP - the stories are so inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
  • rodneytracy
    rodneytracy Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    You can add me if you like