Depression after a work out...? More common than we think.

Options
So I've done some cursory research and read some blogs and skimmed. I got curious because exercising has alleviated my stress in the past and made me feel good. I would get a sense of accomplishment from having worked my body and got my sweat on! We all know that confident, boosted feeling. Endorphins give us that feeling, but most of us know that. More recently, I feel frustrated, angry, irritable, mopey, moody and simply "down in the dumps" following a work out. I usually work out for an hour on a bike and try to get 15 miles oh high intensity. If I don't get my goal, I don't care. The success of the work out is that I did what was possible of me. Some days, I might be psychically run down and only able to do 10 or 12 miles, what ever. I also do 30 minute interval cardio videos on Xbox Fitness. I consider and feel that these activities are rewarding on their own, I do enjoy the process of the work outs. For the last few months, after I exercise, I just don't have that awesome sense of well being after completing work out. I asked my primary care physician about feeling sad after working out. Her answer was, "Just keep working out and I promise it will help with your mood." I've lost about 40 lbs since January. I work out regularly and I stay pretty active any ways in terms of daily activity (laundry, groceries, cooking, cleaning, scrubbing, vacuuming, it all really adds up!). My mood fluctuates just as much as any "average person." So, here is the mystery: Why do I have an acutely lower mood for up to a few hours after I work out? Most of the time, I do have a pre- workout shake. After the work out, I am sure to get my after work out shake. They both have vitamin powder, carbohydrates and protein of varying levels depending on need. I hydrate about 24-48 oz during the work outs. I hydrate before and after. I noticed many people blaming "refined carbohydrates." I am for the most part a naturalist when it comes to most of my diet. I usually have ONE soda that I sip through out the day, over several hours. So if none of my patterns have changed in the last few months, why would my mood suddenly become worse after exercising? AND people also seemed to blame stress and subconscious stuff, hypothesizing that exercising was like popping the lid off of a can of worms. The thinking on that seemed to be that working out gives the brain a break to sort through stuff, and then when one is done with their work out, they are in a vulnerable state and susceptible to distress from emotions. I have yet to find an answer that is satisfactory and based on science and not pop culture.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Depression happens a lot with increased aging. Many times the signs aren't really noticeable. You'd need to consult a professional who can help you identify what may be causing it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this all my adult life. It's one of the main reasons I've consistently failed at establishing a workout routine. I hate endorphin highs, they don't make me happy, they make me unsettled and anxious. Mostly exercise just induces feelings of undirected anger in me, even on otherwise good days. Lately I've been feeling unhappy after or even during the workout - I cried silently during yoga last week. It's been suggested by a friend that my brain is chemically wired wrong anyway, since I've struggled with depression and anxiety. But the medical community is so sure that "exercise makes you feel better" that it's hard to get any explanation or advice.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Might I suggest a non-food cause? I realize the danger of trying to fit the same tool for all fixes, but I am still enamoured with the lessons listed in this book:

http://charlesduhigg.com/the-power-of-habit/

You might try a mental "trick" to enhance the sense of reward after a workout. It could be as seemingly insignificant as patting yourself on the back (literally), snapping your fingers, showering with a new soap, something.

habit-loop.jpg

@kat_princess12 , there is a good percentage of the population who suffer with depression. It could simply be a different ratio of hormones for you, which isn't all bad. We've got our natural reward hormones; dopamine, serotonin, oxytocin, and endorphins. I don't think the most balanced person is the one who maxes out these hormones.

dopamine anticipates; it's what gets us all excited about an expected reward. Heightened levels of dopamine are associated with risk-taking. Think extreme sports here.

serotonin is involved in a lot of activities. It might contribute to our feelings of satisfaction. A completely satisified creature may starve to death, so maybe we don't want to emulate a life of complete satisfaction. Think reclining Buddha.

oxytocin embraces; a mother comforts her child, a community rallies around a victim. Too much, well, think of a person on ecstacy.

beta-endorphin numbs pain. This can come in handy if the hunter-gatherer has just concluded a successful hunt of the mighty Aurochs. Otherwise the mighty hunter may never venture out again. Too much and we're talking opium dens here.