Biggest Meal of the Day????

Options

Replies

• mapexdrummer69
    Options
    you want to make dinner the smallest meal, and ideally breakfast the biggest but like many others i cant have too much for breakfast. what i do is i have a cup of black tea with 1/2 cup of skim milk, and toast with butter or (this is my weird personal guilty pleasure) toast with sour cream. about 2 hours later ill have an apple or some fruit or nuts or something. then 2 hours after the snack i have lunch which is usually my biggest meal. 2 hours after that i have another cup of tea and then 2 hours after that i have dinner (which usually is a light soup like the v8s or progresso and if i need some sweet i have some berries). so a 'meal' every 4 hours, and a snack every 2. if it is a day that i work out my day varies a bit. if you add up your meals it should even out to about 900 cal (if you're consuming 1200 a day) and the rest should be healthy snacks.

So you're saying that as soon as we go to sleep we start "storing" everything we've eaten and we stop burning calories? This is not the case.
    Why dinner small and breakfast large?

I was wondering the same thing. Well, not really since I know that as a general rule it doesn't make any difference when you eat. I realize, however, that it can make a big difference on an individual level. I would never go for the start with a big breakfast plan, because I'm not a morning person and I simply am not hungry when in the mornings. And, for me, eating when I'm not hungry makes me gain weight.

because you DO things throughout the day, from smiling to running you're burning calories all day so you should eat the most at the beginning of the day and have the meals become gradually smaller throughout the day. after dinner you do little to no activity so all those food and calories are sitting in your stomach not really being used. then you go to bed and store them for another day. also if you're going to make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, having a small dinner will build hunger for the next morning so you will consume a larger meal for breakfast.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    you want to make dinner the smallest meal, and ideally breakfast the biggest but like many others i cant have too much for breakfast. what i do is i have a cup of black tea with 1/2 cup of skim milk, and toast with butter or (this is my weird personal guilty pleasure) toast with sour cream. about 2 hours later ill have an apple or some fruit or nuts or something. then 2 hours after the snack i have lunch which is usually my biggest meal. 2 hours after that i have another cup of tea and then 2 hours after that i have dinner (which usually is a light soup like the v8s or progresso and if i need some sweet i have some berries). so a 'meal' every 4 hours, and a snack every 2. if it is a day that i work out my day varies a bit. if you add up your meals it should even out to about 900 cal (if you're consuming 1200 a day) and the rest should be healthy snacks.

I was wondering the same thing. Well, not really since I know that as a general rule it doesn't make any difference when you eat. I realize, however, that it can make a big difference on an individual level. I would never go for the start with a big breakfast plan, because I'm not a morning person and I simply am not hungry when in the mornings. And, for me, eating when I'm not hungry makes me gain weight.

because you DO things throughout the day, from smiling to running you're burning calories all day so you should eat the most at the beginning of the day and have the meals become gradually smaller throughout the day. after dinner you do little to no activity so all those food and calories are sitting in your stomach not really being used. then you go to bed and store them for another day. also if you're going to make breakfast the biggest meal of the day, having a small dinner will build hunger for the next morning so you will consume a larger meal for breakfast.

I have just never seen any scientific or medical study that shows this to be true. Have you? And I know from years of experience that it absolutely is not true for me. If I eat a big breakfast I feel lethargic and I usually end up exercising less and eating more all day long. I rarely eat anything before 10:00 a.m. no matter how early I get up (6:30 during the week) though I do have a glass of soy milk in the morning because I'm thirsty and try to consume some soy every day. I typically eat more than half my daily calories after 8:00 at night..
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I have just never seen any scientific or medical study that shows this to be true. Have you? And I know from years of experience that it absolutely is not true for me. If I eat a big breakfast I feel lethargic and I usually end up exercising less and eating more all day long. I rarely eat anything before 10:00 a.m. no matter how early I get up (6:30 during the week) though I do have a glass of soy milk in the morning because I'm thirsty and try to consume some soy every day. I typically eat more than half my daily calories after 8:00 at night..

Exactly. There are no studies that show that. Meal timing, sizing, and frequency are irrelevant in the context of proper daily nutrition.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I another one that thinks its personal preference. Normally my largest meal is dinner because that is when I am the most hungry. The other day breakfast was because I did my workout before eating and was super hungry.
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    Your biggest meal of the day should be breakfast, although you should eat 5-6 small meals a day. I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast, but that's about the same as the rest of my meals and snacks.

Not being rude or trying to start a flaming thread, but why do you think breakfast should be your biggest meal, and why is it important to eat 5-6 small meals a day?

Here is the scientific evidence why you eat small meal before going to bed and why breakfast should be a larger meal. When you eat a meal the blood rushes to your abdomen to aid in digestion and distribution of nutrients. With this rush to the abdomen there is a slight deficiency of blood to your muscles and extremeties (this is why you get tired after eating - less blood out = less oxygen out). With even that slight of a deficiency to the extremeties the natural process of tissue repair and flushing of cell respiratory waste lags behind. This can leave deposits of any number of substances, which can cause aches and pains and even cramping. Once the food you just ate is digested, blood flow would return to normal except the body is in a resting state. With particles of waste accumulating in the distal tissues, fluids will be drawn from your bloodstream into surrounding tissues through osmosis causing slight edema or swelling. Now you will have to wait until your body is active again in order to create enough bloodfloow to the distal tissues to clear metabolic waste and such. This means your circulatory system is running behind from the moment you get up. Dormant waste can also lead to inflammation, which can tax your immune system.

Why should breakfast be the biggest meal? We have all heard how it is most healthy to eat every couple of hours throughout the day, but why is that? Think of your body as a city. There is a constant need for products (nutrients) to be brought in as well as products(nutrients) and waste (metobolic waste) to be removed. In a city the trucks that perform these actions run constantly much similar to your body. If you supply nutrients only once or twice a day there is inefficiency. The meals are typically larger so there is product that cannot be used and is subsequently stored for use later on. With the average person going to bed at 10 and getting up at 6 there is 8 hours when no product/nutrient has been brought to the body. That is no different than eating at breakfast time (8 am) and then not again until 4 in the afternoon. During your sleep what is happening is your body is using up its quick stores of glycogen (approx 350g) that are stored in muscle tissue in order to perform basic functions. By the time you get up that supply is all but depleted and needs to be restored. Your body also needs nutrients from the "fast" that you "break" when you eat in the morning. This is why breakfast needs to be larger than your other meals - to restore the quick stores of energy and to supply the nutrients your body has been without though the night.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Your biggest meal of the day should be breakfast, although you should eat 5-6 small meals a day. I usually eat about 300 calories for breakfast, but that's about the same as the rest of my meals and snacks.

Not being rude or trying to start a flaming thread, but why do you think breakfast should be your biggest meal, and why is it important to eat 5-6 small meals a day?

Here is the scientific evidence why you eat small meal before going to bed and why breakfast should be a larger meal. When you eat a meal the blood rushes to your abdomen to aid in digestion and distribution of nutrients. With this rush to the abdomen there is a slight deficiency of blood to your muscles and extremeties (this is why you get tired after eating - less blood out = less oxygen out). With even that slight of a deficiency to the extremeties the natural process of tissue repair and flushing of cell respiratory waste lags behind. This can leave deposits of any number of substances, which can cause aches and pains and even cramping. Once the food you just ate is digested, blood flow would return to normal except the body is in a resting state. With particles of waste accumulating in the distal tissues, fluids will be drawn from your bloodstream into surrounding tissues through osmosis causing slight edema or swelling. Now you will have to wait until your body is active again in order to create enough bloodfloow to the distal tissues to clear metabolic waste and such. This means your circulatory system is running behind from the moment you get up. Dormant waste can also lead to inflammation, which can tax your immune system.

Why should breakfast be the biggest meal? We have all heard how it is most healthy to eat every couple of hours throughout the day, but why is that? Think of your body as a city. There is a constant need for products (nutrients) to be brought in as well as products(nutrients) and waste (metobolic waste) to be removed. In a city the trucks that perform these actions run constantly much similar to your body. If you supply nutrients only once or twice a day there is inefficiency. The meals are typically larger so there is product that cannot be used and is subsequently stored for use later on. With the average person going to bed at 10 and getting up at 6 there is 8 hours when no product/nutrient has been brought to the body. That is no different than eating at breakfast time (8 am) and then not again until 4 in the afternoon. During your sleep what is happening is your body is using up its quick stores of glycogen (approx 350g) that are stored in muscle tissue in order to perform basic functions. By the time you get up that supply is all but depleted and needs to be restored. Your body also needs nutrients from the "fast" that you "break" when you eat in the morning. This is why breakfast needs to be larger than your other meals - to restore the quick stores of energy and to supply the nutrients your body has been without though the night.

Can you site the source (preferably in a link to the study)? I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm doing fine (healthy, losing, plenty of energy) eating at night. But if you are going to post things as "fact" a reliable source is always good since anyone and everyone with an internet connection can add a post and say "fact".

I've heard ppl on this site and some ppl trying to sell a book say it's better to eat several small meals throughout the day, but that's never been medically proven either. In fact at least one study showed that ppl trying to lose weight following this plan tended to be hungrier than those that ate 3 larger meals. http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110331/best-diet-plan-6-mini-meals-or-3-squares-a-day
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

Why does it seem that you are logging on to create arguments. You say your not trying to be rude, or start a flaming thread. Every time I've seen your name now, you are being confrontational. It's good to debate, but you are preaching that everybody else is dong something wrong and YOUR way is the right way.

As i read this thread, I kept seeing your comments that the person has said something you don't agree , and asking them for proof. Nobody needs to prove ANYTHING to you.

How about experience for proof. 100's of people on this website have done 5-6 meals and have lost weight. If your preference is not to have 5-6 small meals, then that's YOUR OPINION..

I don't see that you have any weight that you've loss, so all your gibberish has been from what you've read not real life experiences.

Edit: Since a lot of us have experienced the fact that 5-6 smaller meals DOES WORK. Then you experiment for us and eat 1-2 big meals in a day and see how much weight you lose. if you have any weight to lose.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Why does it seem that you are logging on to create arguments. You say your not trying to be rude, or start a flaming thread. Every time I've seen your name now, you are being confrontational. It's good to debate, but you are preaching that everybody else is dong something wrong and YOUR way is the right way.

As i read this thread, I kept seeing your comments that the person has said something you don't agree , and asking them for proof. Nobody needs to prove ANYTHING to you.

How about experience for proof. 100's of people on this website have done 5-6 meals and have lost weight. If your preference is not to have 5-6 small meals, then that's YOUR OPINION..

I don't see that you have any weight that you've loss, so all your gibberish has been from what you've read not real life experiences.

Edit: Since a lot of us have experienced the fact that 5-6 smaller meals DOES WORK. Then you experiment for us and eat 1-2 big meals in a day and see how much weight you lose. if you have any weight to lose.

Not sure why you are being so hateful, BUT 100's of ppl losing weight a certain way is proof of nothing except that is works for some people. Thousands of people lose weight or never gain weight eating 3 meals a day and making dinner the largest. That only proves that works for some ppl. It does NOT mean that anyone "SHOULD" do it, or that it's "better".
  • Opusarlo
    Options

Can you site the source (preferably in a link to the study)? I guess it doesn't really matter since I'm doing fine (healthy, losing, plenty of energy) eating at night. But if you are going to post things as "fact" a reliable source is always good since anyone and everyone with an internet connection can add a post and say "fact".

I've heard ppl on this site and some ppl trying to sell a book say it's better to eat several small meals throughout the day, but that's never been medically proven either. In fact at least one study showed that ppl trying to lose weight following this plan tended to be hungrier than those that ate 3 larger meals. http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20110331/best-diet-plan-6-mini-meals-or-3-squares-a-day

Citation? Are you new? Is this the first time you have heard about breakfast and the body's catabolic state? That would be like me finding citations for the fact that water is wet. Jesus man...I googled for 5 secs and I came up with this link:

http://www.bodybuilding-muscle.com/breakfast-the-most-important-bodybuilding-meal-of-the-day.html

Now get off your *kitten* and do some of your own research. You have never seen any research that suggests blah blah blah...well now I know it is because you don't do one bit of research. FFS man...quit wasting my life in your laziness.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Exactly. There are no studies that show that. Meal timing, sizing, and frequency are irrelevant in the context of proper daily nutrition.

I have to say that I've learned quite a bit from you today (a drastic change from yesterday evenings conversation). You've encouraged me to dispel other things that I thought to be true.. such as eating several smaller meals throughout the day.

I found this article:
    http://www.theiflife.com/eating-more-meals-does-not-speed-up-your-metabolism/

Now I will stop trying to eat consistently throughout the day. Unless I've already made it a routine but I'll stop going out of my way to eat often regardless.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Correlation does not imply causation.

It "works", but it's by no means necessary.

I challenge people to provide studies because the vast majority of dietary "understandings" are myths and are based solely on CORRELATIVE evidence.

Why make losing weight any more difficult than it has to be?
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

I have to say that I've learned quite a bit from you today (a drastic change from yesterday evenings conversation). You've encouraged me to dispel other things that I thought to be true.. such as eating several smaller meals throughout the day.

I found this article:
    http://www.theiflife.com/eating-more-meals-does-not-speed-up-your-metabolism/

Now I will stop trying to eat consistently throughout the day. Unless I've already made it a routine but I'll stop going out of my way to eat often regardless.

Awesome!

Again, it comes down to personal preference.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

Citation? Are you new? Is this the first time you have heard about breakfast and the body's catabolic state? That would be like me finding citations for the fact that water is wet. Jesus man...I googled for 5 secs and I came up with this link:

http://www.bodybuilding-muscle.com/breakfast-the-most-important-bodybuilding-meal-of-the-day.html

Now get off your *kitten* and do some of your own research. You have never seen any research that suggests blah blah blah...well now I know it is because you don't do one bit of research. FFS man...quit wasting my life in your laziness.

Major LULZ from posting that as a "study".

Strong misunderstanding of empirical studies vs. an article from a BB magazine.

Better drink your protein shake quick before the catbolizms set in.
  • bcattoes
    Options

"New"? New to/at what? Life, my grandkids would probably say "no". Researching healthy eating habits, also no. Arguing against ppl puporting their personal plans or successes as evidence bases fact? Again, no.

Advice on a bodybuilding site is not a medical or scietific evidence of anything. I have done my own research which is why I don't think you can site a medical or scientific study suggesting that eating small meals throughout the day or eating a big meal early in the morning is better in general than anything else. If this is working for you, then great. But why act as if you have some expert advice on what everyone should do, if you don't?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Do you have to quote all the lines? Do you feel 3-4 "pre quotes" as we can call them are relevant?
    Pls shorten them up, if someone needs to re-read the whole quote they can scroll back up.
    Thanks

WIth out studies.

Let's speak real life situations.
    We can give you dozens, 100's of people that are on this website eating 5-6 meals a day and losing weight.

Can you give us anybody that's eating 2 meals a day and losing weight?
    Are you following this plan and losing weight?
  • Opusarlo
    Options
    And that POS posting on the 6 meals a day not being necessary wasn't equally crappy?

Look I do not have the time to give you two strokes a complete degree in biochemstry. If you are so interested, apply for a membership to pub-med and scour the databases there. You will find thousands of scholarly reviews and studies backing up the body being in a catabolic state upon waking. Either that or pony up the $50k to get your biochem degree like I did. Maybe then will you understand. Mapex, you are 20. You can't even vote yet. You probably have not had a real job yet in life. Think about it for a minute...is it possible that your profound insights do not stand up to real research and experience?
  • mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    My biggest meal for the day is usually dinner (meal 5) and it is usually between 400-500 calories. The rest of my meals (6 meals daily) are ~150-250 cals a meal. I have tried making other meals the larger meals but it didn't really change my weight loss. My exercise is usually in the afternoon or evening (right before or after my big meal).
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    If you feel the need to base what you do off of correlative results, which IMO is a very poor way of basing your diet...

I eat MAX 3 meals a day. If you call 315lbs to 173lbs weight loss, then sure.

I in NO way support basing your diet off of correlative results. Just because someone that has big muscles wears blue shirts every time they lift, does that mean I should too? He got results, so it must be beneficial, right?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    And that POS posting on the 6 meals a day not being necessary wasn't equally crappy?

Look I do not have the time to give you two strokes a complete degree in biochemstry. If you are so interested, apply for a membership to pub-med and scour the databases there. You will find thousands of scholarly reviews and studies backing up the body being in a catabolic state upon waking. Either that or pony up the $50k to get your biochem degree like I did. Maybe then will you understand. Mapex, you are 20. You can't even vote yet. You probably have not had a real job yet in life. Think about it for a minute...is it possible that your profound insights do not stand up to real research and experience?

I already have a subscription to pub-med, or rather the company I work for does. I have to go there often. There is nothing there saying it's "better" to eat small meals throughout the day or a big meal in the morning. If it works for you then it can be argued that it's better for you. But that is not an argument that it's better for me. It's not. I'm happy, healthy, feel great, full of energy and rarely hungry and eat and drink my calories at night.

And saying it in a mean and hateful manner doesn't really make your point . It might just do the opposite.
  • along21291
    along21291 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat something small at breakfast (about 200 calories), something bigger at lunch (about 500), something biggest at dinner (about 700), then a small (50 calories) after dinner snack. I used to eat a big breakfast but then I would be so hungry after dinner because I had to eat such a small portion at dinner time.