Weekends are killing me!!

Options
So another week of going the wrong way and again I know exactly what has caused it. Eat well all week then get to the weekend and it goes wrong, drinking and eating crap.

I wont be going out for a while now thats for sure. Im never going to safely reach my NYE goal now so it's damage limitation, 8 weeks to go so wont accept anything less that at least an 8lb loss but anything more than 10 would be better.

Anyone else do this to themselves?

Replies

• idlecrush
    idlecrush Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Every. Single. Weekend. I feel your pain. The week is great and I just can't seem to get things under control on the weekends.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Eight weeks and eight pounds is doable, but still a hefty goal...don't be so hard on yourself, I suggest you loosen up on your goals, and tighten up on the weekends. That way, if you don't see an 8 lb loss in 8 weeks, you won't hate yourself. I, too, had to stop going out, as a restaurant meal can easily equal a full days calories...Another suggestion would be to REALLY tighten up during the week, start banking those weekend calories, make sure you are in a caloric deficit EVERY day, the bigger the better...if you know you're going to have a few drinkies or shots, as I do, do extra cardio the two days before, more than usual, If I normally would run/walk for 40 minutes, I try to do at least 60 or 70 on Thursday and Friday, if not more...And really, if you find you HAVE to eat out and drink, which sometimes, why the heck not, try to workout on the weekend. I didn't for years, and couldn't understand why the scale wouldn't move after eating so well all week. Well, the combination of weekend drinks, plus eating whatever, PLUS not expending any of those calories, was just a recipe for disaster. That was more longwinded than I intended it to be, but I understand completely. I was the Queen of sabotaging my own work for many years, no more. Good luck, feel free to add me if you like! xo
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    If you really want to reach your goal, you'll control yourself on weekends. If you would really rather lose yourself on weekends, you'll get the body you really want.

Why can't you go out, enjoy yourself and your friends without overdoing? Socializing and eating are two different activities. Is it the drink, food or both? Maybe try being the designated driver for a session? Switch out a couple of drinks for a selzer, club soda or a diet something?

But, it is your life, your actions, your decisions, your body.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Same here my weekends are 3 days long too
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Surely you're not going out for every single meal over the weekend. If you know you're going out for dinner or drinks in the evening, why not restrict your calories early in the day? Don't go out for breakfast, grab something at home. Grab a low-calorie high-protein snack before you head out the door to meet your friends so you don't eat as much at the restaurant/don't order deep-fried foods at the bar.

I say this because I have sabotaged myself over the weekends. I learned to balance it out - I still let loose a little more over the weekend, but it's planned for now. I don't tell myself "this weekend I'm going to stay in eating oatmeal and plain yogurt" because that is unrealistic. Planning for a couple meals out, and making sure to get a workout in, helps immensely.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    For the first like, 6 months of my weightloss, I did really well- when I went out I would have one drink or not even drink, I wouldn't touch any drunk food. And then past couple months, it's like, I have to drink and eat like *kitten* every weekend. I'm with you, i'm trying to stop for at least November
  • Mishbee76
    Mishbee76 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've decided for November and leading up to Christmas "not" to have so much alcohol. I like going to the pub but I've swapped my alcohol for Schweppes slimline tonic and I might have just one half a Peroni throughout the evening.

You can still enjoy yourself without all the alcohol, no one cares or notices your not drinking cause they are too busy enjoying themselves......

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    You want too much, too fast, so you restrict too much during the week and end up binging on the week end. Very common. Stick to a reasonable calorie goal (8 pounds in less than 8 weeks with only 46 pounds to lose is not reasonable), eat what you like in moderation during the week, and you'll be less likely to give in on the week ends.
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend and I always go out to eat on weekends and I always blow my calories. We have started ordering one meal and splitting it instead of each getting something. It has really helped, plus it makes for a cheap date. If you want to go out drinking and not have too many calories I suggest you get a nice bourbon with water instead of beer, or just on the rocks if you have the taste for it.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Eight weeks and eight pounds is doable, but still a hefty goal...don't be so hard on yourself, I suggest you loosen up on your goals, and tighten up on the weekends. That way, if you don't see an 8 lb loss in 8 weeks, you won't hate yourself. I, too, had to stop going out, as a restaurant meal can easily equal a full days calories...Another suggestion would be to REALLY tighten up during the week, start banking those weekend calories, make sure you are in a caloric deficit EVERY day, the bigger the better...if you know you're going to have a few drinkies or shots, as I do, do extra cardio the two days before, more than usual, If I normally would run/walk for 40 minutes, I try to do at least 60 or 70 on Thursday and Friday, if not more...And really, if you find you HAVE to eat out and drink, which sometimes, why the heck not, try to workout on the weekend. I didn't for years, and couldn't understand why the scale wouldn't move after eating so well all week. Well, the combination of weekend drinks, plus eating whatever, PLUS not expending any of those calories, was just a recipe for disaster. That was more longwinded than I intended it to be, but I understand completely. I was the Queen of sabotaging my own work for many years, no more. Good luck, feel free to add me if you like! xo

The food and drinks are in my house....I don't go out much on the weekend cause I love my home and working all week long deprives me of my sanctuary.....so I munch all Saturday long, make a very nice Sunday dinner with the trimmings....this weekend have made a plan to switch it up a bit including more exercise to create a nice bank of calories. wish me luck....
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    You want too much, too fast, so you restrict too much during the week and end up binging on the week end. Very common. Stick to a reasonable calorie goal (8 pounds in less than 8 weeks with only 46 pounds to lose is not reasonable), eat what you like in moderation during the week, and you'll be less likely to give in on the week ends.

Wish we had a like button....
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Eat at maintenance on weekends if you must go out or have your cheat days.. But everything and everyday must be at the forefront of your mind so that you make wise choices every day of the week including weekends.

I go off of it on weekends, because I like to go to the zoo, the state fair, the movies, out to dinner, etc.. Have to live life and without these things it will be awfully boring and too restricted. Have to make this a life style change because when you stop dieting, what next?
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    Eat at maintenance on weekends if you must go out or have your cheat days.. But everything and everyday must be at the forefront of your mind so that you make wise choices every day of the week including weekends.

Like...
  • mysteps2beauty
    Options
    How do you figure out your maintanence calories...
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I started scheduling my workouts for first thing in the morning on the weekends, and it really helped. I'd usually take Sunday off, but when I was running, I would do my long runs on Saturday. It helped in a couple of ways. I was less likely to overdo it Friday night knowing that I had to get up early on Saturday. Once I had already worked out on Saturday, I was more attuned to taking care of myself the rest of the day. And by scheduling my biggest workout on Saturday, it also meant that I had the most leeway with my diet that day (a lot more calories to eat back).

The other idea that helped me was that instead of focusing on my daily calories, I would focus on my weekly. If I went a little over one day, I'd make it up over the next couple of days. Maybe you can try to cut back a little more in the week in order to give yourself more of a cushion for the weekend.

EDIT: I also want to add that I lost v-e-r-y slowly. Probably less than a half of a pound a week on the average, and it definitely wasn't linear. Don't stress about the speed. If the your weight (or even just measurements!) is going down, you're doing something right!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I started scheduling my workouts for first thing in the morning on the weekends, and it really helped. I'd usually take Sunday off, but when I was running, I would do my long runs on Saturday. It helped in a couple of ways. I was less likely to overdo it Friday night knowing that I had to get up early on Saturday. Once I had already worked out on Saturday, I was more attuned to taking care of myself the rest of the day. And by scheduling my biggest workout on Saturday, it also meant that I had the most leeway with my diet that day (a lot more calories to eat back).

The other idea that helped me was that instead of focusing on my daily calories, I would focus on my weekly. If I went a little over one day, I'd make it up over the next couple of days. Maybe you can try to cut back a little more in the week in order to give yourself more of a cushion for the weekend.

These are all great tips! Thanks, @eep223 ! :)
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Every weekend. And stupid me, I was weighing myself on Mondays! Now I am weighing on Fridays. Much better and it helps me stay on track over the weekend especially if I have lost during the week.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out alcohol because I ate too much after a drink or two... or more. Now, when I go out with friends I box half the meal and log the calories. Then I get to have two days of a yummy meal, not just one. I lose about 3 pounds a month and am seldom hungry and am seldom tempted to eat a bunch. I got tired of sabotaging all of my hard work on the weekdays for the weekend.