If what you're doing is working - ignore this.

Options

Replies

• hyenagirl
    hyenagirl Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    well i thought i'd check this out because i feel like i'm stuck at a plateau but as far as the fruit? if i stopped eating fruit i would pass out multiple times a day i swear! so that can't be true for everyone. i also have a blood sugar disorder and my dr told me if i ever wanted to loose weight by cutting calories to make sure i ate 3-4 servings of fruit. so my blood sugar doesn't plummet.

recently i've been eating lean meats chicken and fish(tuna) lots of low fat dairy and lots of fruit! no bread, when i want a sandwich i use a tortilla (a little better but not the bestand i eat almonds or granola bars at work for a quick pick me up.

just thought i'd share my experiences as well. no offense meant.

Ditto, I also suffer from low glucose levels and couple that with an allergy to many vegetables. I do eat 2-4 servings of fruit a day and I eat a ton of meat/fish. I try to keep my carb intake 100 grams a day or less and it works for me. I also try to cut out the wheat, corn and soy, starch (save for sweet potatoes since they're lower in starch and are the second best veg you can eat) and anything processed, excluding goat or sheep's cheese. Eating 100 or less grams of carbs a day has helped me lose 10 lbs in 5 weeks (no additional exercise). Fruits I eat every day are apples, bananas, cherries, blue berries, plums now because the plum tree is ripe.

Fruits are still relatively low on the glycemic index because fructose in fruits usually doesn't raise the blood sugar levels that much. Fructose in high fructose corn syrup (aka Soda Pops and other) pumps your body with 29-39 grams of fructose per serving a cup of raw cherries will give you 18 grams of fructose. Drink a 20 oz soda bottle in an hour and you got yourself with 80 grams of sugar in your blood. This is too much for your liver to process and fructose is processed in the liver first, unlike straight up glucose. For me the trick is staying 20 grams of carbs or less for each meal.

Each their own though, if no fruits is doing it for you, then awesome job! I need fruits so I don't pass out. I do crave fat though, about as much as I crave sweet, which is often. Everyone in the house trims fat off the meats, I love it and just eat their share. I can polish off an entire pound of bacon in a day too. Fat to me tastes sweet and buttery, yuuum. I discover if I eat more fat in a day, I snack a whole lot less and crave sweets dramatically less. Whatever works, I'm with you in the low carb, eat less processed foods..
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I know you've told me to ignore it, but heres my 2 cents, I have a big problem with other dieters saying their way is the best way. It works for you - great, but 'don't give you opinion if you have an alternative one - this is what will work for you' is a bit iffy mate. Why is it also that I find the people most concerned about others following their diet is the no/low carb bods?

Just because you don't have the will power not to binge, doesn't mean other people don't. If I'm brutally honest I think its childish that you cannot control yourself. I kind of see it as theres no mummy to tell you when to stop so you just dont have it at all. I think people should be encouraged to learn how to control binges, not be given the impression its hopeless. Taste is so pleasurable, it should be enjoyed. Meat and veg are nice but how utterly boring to have that everyday. It would be like hearing the same song day in day out. No chocolate is not healthy even in moderation, but neither are alot of other things in life we do that are pleasurable. We *kitten* risk and weigh up those risky consequences.

This.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I know you've told me to ignore it, but heres my 2 cents, I have a big problem with other dieters saying their way is the best way. It works for you - great, but 'don't give you opinion if you have an alternative one - this is what will work for you' is a bit iffy mate. Why is it also that I find the people most concerned about others following their diet is the no/low carb bods?

Just because you don't have the will power not to binge, doesn't mean other people don't. If I'm brutally honest I think its childish that you cannot control yourself. I kind of see it as theres no mummy to tell you when to stop so you just dont have it at all. I think people should be encouraged to learn how to control binges, not be given the impression its hopeless. Taste is so pleasurable, it should be enjoyed. Meat and veg are nice but how utterly boring to have that everyday. It would be like hearing the same song day in day out. No chocolate is not healthy even in moderation, but neither are alot of other things in life we do that are pleasurable. We *kitten* risk and weigh up those risky consequences.

This.

I'm not sure how the guy came off as saying that everyone should ditch what they're doing and follow him like he's the Paleo pied piper of dieting.

Without going on an emotional rant there are some here who have had some pretty serious addiction problems to sweets and other foods in their past. Sure, we love to throw around the "moderation" and the "I can't imagine my life without a piece of cake" here and there stuff. If you have the willpower to eat one piece of pie and walk away and not touch it for another few weeks, well then I seriously commend you.

However...understand that some people's struggles with binges go beyond the "oops I ate 2 pieces of cake" business. It's taken years for me to learn to control eating sweets. Some things are best left alone. It's about like placing yourself in a 12 step program akin to an alcoholic. It's not funny. It's not something to come on the boards and chastise peopel about. Some of us have had some serious emotional problems with food in our lives that have left us overweight and NOT in control. If it takes eliminating those triggers to gain control, who are YOU to say we are wrong in doing that? Everyone takes a different path here, folks.

I'm all for moderation if you can sustain it. Some of us have had to seek professional help and coaching and have found the answer isn't moderation.

Alright, time to go back to enjoying my morning quiche and being a CHILD.

Cheers. :drinker:
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey Steve,
    I agree with you 100%. It's really not too difficult to get educated on what effects different macros have on your body, and what processed junk will do to you.

I finally got to my goal by following a primal diet (before then, I was like a gerbil on a hamster wheel, always at the gym, doing heavy cardio, not losing that fat, couldn't figure out why). I had hunger pangs, terrible carb cravings, the "shakes" when my blood sugar got low....and all that went away when I changed what I was eating.

B/c I got to my goal, and I still have a freezer full of that "light" food, I decided that I'd try to work on getting rid of some of this prepackaged "food". Wow. Yesterday (you can see in my diary), I ate several things I don't normally eat. And I was ravenous, shaky, cranky.....from one day of eating a few processed things with HFCs and carbs. Not to mention how bloated I felt.

Today I'm back to my primal lifestyle again. I don't know how I'm going to easily bump up my calories (b/c that's easy to do with processed junk and carbs) b/c I need to now (I'm still losing weight and I want to gain more muscle), but I know that I'll figure it out, without eating stuff that makes my body unhappy. And I don't miss it at all.

For everyone who thinks, "Well, I couldn't LIVE without bread!" or "What am I supposed to eat if I don't have my cereal for breakfast?" I can tell you that there is SO much variety with just eating protein/veggies/fruit/dairy (yes, I do eat quite a bit of dairy, which is a bit not primal, but I get my protein there too)....I honestly don't miss it. I prefer feeling healthy, and being fit, to having a sandwich. I'd rather eat a spinach salad anyway.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    You mean its NOT ok to snort a line every now and then?!?!?! Crap I have been sevearly misinformed:grumble:
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I have quit the boards before in the past, and the reason why I am quitting again now.

Don't be soft.

Listen mate. You are clearly knowledgeable and can help posters by offering a differing viewpoint which works. It's all about providing people who are struggling with their weight options which they can choose from and which plays to their strengths. For some people that may be following a paleo/primal approach. For some it maybe an Ornish diet. For some it maybe the everything in moderation approach.

Taking away options is not the way forward. Many diets will work - it's just some will be more efficient for an individual to reach their goals given their individual characteristics than others. Credible viewpoints and debate is vital so that an individual considers all potential avenues and can make informed decisions.

ps: of curiousity, if I try your approach for a month and it doesn't work will you also provide the airfare so I can fly to Pittsburgh and kick you in the nuts?

Shins, he said shins :smile:
  • ashkaps
    ashkaps Posts: 32
    Options
    Thanks will try this. Was looking to cut out my fruit as I know it has a lot of sugar/carbs. I don't want to go on a really low carb diet but in the range of 100-150 g a day. Do you think this would work or would I need to go lower? I'm only really looking to lose 30 more pounds.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    STEVE you are the man, and Neddleknivel only the fact I would get kicked off here is stopping me from saying what you are. Really? He never said his way is best, he said and I quote; If what your doing is working-ignore this. The way I read this, he is acknowledging other ways do in fact work. That if what you’re doing isn’t working maybe what he is doing MIGHT work for you too. And further more ________ and _______ you ________ can _________ and jvinnavan u2 pal.
  • GaveUp
    GaveUp Posts: 308
    Options
    I totally agree Steve, I've been trying for a couple years now to lose weight and nothing happens. Just a couple of weeks ago I started Low carb and I am down 5 pounds. I eat about 80 - 95 gms a day and it seems to be working.

Great post!!
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    What is your advice for eating out?
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    This is the exact reason why I have quit the boards before in the past, and the reason why I am quitting again now.

Don't be soft.

Listen mate. You are clearly knowledgeable and can help posters by offering a differing viewpoint which works. It's all about providing people who are struggling with their weight options which they can choose from and which plays to their strengths. For some people that may be following a paleo/primal approach. For some it maybe an Ornish diet. For some it maybe the everything in moderation approach.

Taking away options is not the way forward. Many diets will work - it's just some will be more efficient for an individual to reach their goals given their individual characteristics than others. Credible viewpoints and debate is vital so that an individual considers all potential avenues and can make informed decisions.

ps: of curiousity, if I try your approach for a month and it doesn't work will you also provide the airfare so I can fly to Pittsburgh and kick you in the nuts?

Not only do I agree, the final statement made me laugh out loud.:tongue: People should know if you throw out very opinionated definitive statements, you are bound to catch some flack.

I think people are forgetting to look at the big nutrition picture here, you read though alot of the OP statements and it reads carbs=fructose=fruit=bad. Is there fructose in fruit...of course, is too much fructose bad for you, probably. Have you ever met someone who got fat off of eating apples? Apples have been around for a bit, and just recently a study came out showing how a compound in the apple peels can help burn fat. Apples have fructose yes, but they also have fiber, beneficial antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins/minerls, water, etc, etc, etc. There is a whole lot of good stuff in fruit that goes way beyond fructose. And BTW, you can't find all the same good things in fruit as you can in veggies, thats why health care professionals have consistently recommended variety and moderation for years and years. Milk...has Vit D and calcium in it naturally, and low and behold, Vit D and Calcium work better together than apart. And yes the cocaine example is a bit stupid....and I could find a boatload of "research" on why aliens truly do exist, why the moon is made of cheese and why the world is coming to an end in 5 mins...consider the source.

If anyone out there is totally interested in "optimal nutrition", hey there are a ton of pharmaceutical grade nutritional products designed for people unable to meet nutrition needs orally. Get you a tube feeding product, have someone drop a feeding tube up the nose, down the throat, into the tummy and Voila! Perfect nutrition, and you don't even have to bother with eating!! Me, I'd rather have the apple, and maybe a piece of chocolate cake afterward:drinker:
  • WarriorJayne
    Options
    I hate fad diets and crap, and honestly think that people need to figure out how to eat in moderation.

(this coming from a Overeater, who is addicted to food, and have to fight myself from late night binges.)

Recently I have been diagnosed with Hypothyroid, and when ever I eat carbs it completely knocks me out, so badly that I'm taking a nap. (and this is like eating a serving of pizza)

This is why I've been seriously thinking about doing this.... I agree everyone is different and people need to adjust as needed. But our processed foods are killing us. Also its not WHAT your eating but HOW its made. Just going to KFC and having a grilled double down isn't going to help any. Shoot, I went to a restaurant to have dinner, ordered corn on the cob only to find out the deep fry it. I was horrified and didn't eat it.

Eating Paleo is relatively easy to understand, and I think helpful, I'm not 100% yet but i'm getting there, there are still some days that fries call my stomach, baby steps.

I hope you don't leave the boards, but see that a lot of us agree with you, and some of people just like to stir the pot.

Thanks for the post!
  • prissa1960
    prissa1960 Posts: 19
    Options
    Steve, please don't allow one persons mindless chatter to keep you from encouraging so many others.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I actually appreciate what the OP wrote, even if I don't and won't be following it. I think for some people it's the perfect choice, and honestly, there was a point where I thought I would have to be one of those people.

Over the years, without knowing I was following any sort of plan, I've tried to eat that way, just lean protein and veg. I could last a couple of weeks before my cravings for other things drove me right around the bend into binges of anything and everything I could lay my hands on, from salt, to sugar, to fat, to soda.

So this time around I decided to try the moderation route, nothing would be taboo so long as I stayed within my values. What I've found over the ensuing four weeks is that I don't crave the things I used to. I don't obsess with what I can't have so I've only had one 'binge' and even that barely took me over my calories because it wasn't as strong as in the past.

While in the past sugar was for me a trigger, fruits never have been, though sweeter 'veg' have been known to be so I've very careful about eating those.

What I've found is that maybe what I thought were addictions were more habit than anything else, and that now I'm more aware of things I can handle them. I don't know, but I kind of get a high off knowing I can have something but making a far better choice instead. I think this might be an addiction I want to keep.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I should add that I hope the OP doesn't leave the boards. People do need to hear your message and you express it very very well.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

However, when is the last time you really binged hard on protein and fat?

Fairly recently, unfortunately. I ate an entire bag of beef jerky, which was intended to be 8 servings. I followed this with a brick of brie.

I used to regularly polish off entire bricks of sharp cheddar as well. ( 2 lbs at a time)

I'm using MFP to stop doing that, and to bring my eating under control. A balanced plan has worked well for me.

Of course a person can go overboard on any given type of food if their eating is out of control. WHAT they eat is sort of irrelevant, if they aren't eating to fuel their body or satisfy hunger, they're eating for emotional purposes. That must be addressed before anything else.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You wouldn't say that it's ok to just do a little cocaine right?

Actually...

Thanks for posting. I'm glad you have found a way that works.
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't have an eating disorder, so I don't completely understand. I would've totally given up if I hadn't had a little "reward" here and there. But, I can have a little bit and then stop. However, I'm very glad you've found what works for you and it's always a good thing to encourage others with an alternative to what isn't working for them. Good for you!
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    While I think the Paleo diet has an amazing effect on the body, I don't think it is sustainable long term, at least in the strict form that you're talking about. I did a Paleo challenge back in November and reduced my body fat 3%, however once I went off the strict variety and added back some things, I maintained the loss.

I do believe the key is moderation, but I also believe (as you said) that doesn't work for all people. I can have a small piece of [insert food here] and be done with it. Others leads to binges or falling off the wagon. My opinion is that if you're prone to binges, no "strict" diet (whatever it might be) will work for you.

What TRULY worked for me was learning to balance. It was a mindset and once I understood it, it was easy to maintain.
  • sandraking
    Options
    I really like eating fruit. Now what? This is discouraging.