I'm not the best at being "new"

Options
I've been a member here on MFP for years. On and off I've been utilizing the app. When I do, progress abounds! When I don't.... stagnant if I'm lucky.
However, I've always found it difficult to post in the "introduce yourself" portion of ANY forum. I don't like being the new person. I like to know the answer to everything, and be the quiet lurker who reads and listens and doesn't participate.
That might be a carry over from my days of being the weird quite girl in HS.

Now that I'm thirty and on a good track, and being happy, truly happy, for what might be the first time ever. I WANT to break out of the quiet lurker spot I've always put myself in. I'm no longer scared of what others might say or think of me. I'm actually okay with how I look now, and who I am as a person.
Did this intro post just get way to serious? I think it did. Lets put on the breaks and go a little less psycho analysis here.

Hello, my name is Mineka. I used to weigh 164 pounds. With the help of MFP, short bouts of fad diets (I'm looking at you Dukan!), quitting a job I hated, and using a gym on a nearly daily basis, as of this morning I'm at 132. Which is actually three pounds less than what I had set my goal weight to be. I know thirty pounds isn't that huge a thing especially compared to the amazing strides others have done (my husband is on his way to having lost 80lbs after having been over weight his whole life.)
I would like to actually get to know some of the amazing people in this community, and participate for once in my life on being part of something rather than watching from the sidelines.

If you've read all of this, WOW! Thank you for caring cause that's super awesome of you! Any advice on how to be more active and how to be a positive force for others to help them meet there goals would be fantastic. I look forward to getting to know everyone here.
Keep on trying, it doesn't have to be perfect as long as you do your best!

Replies

• PrincessMegan13
    PrincessMegan13 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi Mineka! I completely understand being the lurker. I'm best friends with lurking and watching from the sidelines. I applaud you on your weight loss! Thirty pounds is a huge thing--heck, even one pound is huge! It means you did SOMETHING and made a change. Change is hard; good, but hard.

I log in every day to MFP. I may not post in forums much, but I make sure that I stay active with the people on my friends list. Part of my joy in this whole fitness journey is being able to celebrate with others, congratulating their successes, encouraging them if they lose a little focus or are having a difficult time. I'm still working on getting out of my comfort zone in the forums, but I'm a work in progess all the way around. :)

Good on you for stepping out of your comfort zone and putting yourself out there! :)
  • bowzerx
    bowzerx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Seriously 30lbs is no small feat for anyone. Don't sell your success short.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress - you should be so proud of yourself :)
  • minekac
    minekac Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess compared to my husband losing his seventy pounds over the course of a year, for me losing the thirty pounds in the same time span, doesn't seem like much.
    I'm trying to not be a downer. I AM super excited about this, for the first time in my life, instead of a slimfast or other weight loss powder on the kitchen counter, there is a protein powder!