Calories and Macros

Options
2»

Replies

• lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks. I'll probably stick to my walks then. Bah. I recognize the benefits of HIIT and I'll never go back to steady-state running, but I prefer the walks even if they're longer. On a treadmill, I can prop up a book and read that. Or at least get a change of scenery wherever I'm walking if the weather is nice. Which it isn't right now. Winter sucks.
  • lostinwebspace
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Btw, guys, loving this thread. Thanks for the input. Excited. So many modifications to my life: increased calories, keeping cardio to a minimum (or at least validation that I'm ok to do my longer walks), changes to my macro percentages (I tend toward carbs, though I do love my proteins and fats).

I gotta wonder, though: do you guys have a second fridge around? My wife and I already battle for space in our fridge. :p Now with more food to put in there cuz of the increase in calories, she's gonna throttle me! heheheheh
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Ok, so as per suggestions from @erickirb, I figure this:

At 145lb and 9% body fat, I should eat

* Protein = 1 gram per pound of LBM = 131.95 grams = 528 calories = 23.2%
    * Fats = 0.45 grams per pound of weight = 65.25 grams = 587 calories = 25.8%
    * Carbs = the rest = 1160 calories = 50.9%

Myfitnesspal will only let me round the percentages to the nearest 5, so if I put myself at:

* Protein = 25%
    * Fat = 25%
    * Carbs = 50%

I should be ok? And is my calorie intake good at 2,300, rounded up from 2,282?

You can start there, but I would honestly be surprised if you're able to make significant bulking process on only 2,300 calories per day. I'm a couple years older, 5'9, 160 (so not that much bigger) and 2,300 would be approximately maintenance for me.

I think your protein & fat goals (as in gram totals) are good, but I'd probably bump carbs up to around 1500 calories worth (375 g) per day giving you closer to 2,700 calories per day to start. If you find you're gaining too quickly you can always cut them back down.

i am going to add that your profile says that you area 39 year old male OP and as a reference point I am a 36 year old male, 5-10, and I am bulking right now on 3200 calories a day which is just a hair under a pound per week gain…so I think that you are going to need a lot more than 2300 calories to gain. I am guess if you want to go with a .5 gain it will need to be closer to 2700…just my .02...
  • ForecasterJason
    ForecasterJason Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    I agree with others here that you may very well need more than 2300 calories to gain. I did a mini bulk last winter eating about that amount and I was only 5'8" 120 lbs at the time (granted though I was 20 years old). While I do a lot more cardio now, I'm not that much heavier but 2300 calories is hardly enough for me to maintain at now.
  • lostinwebspace
    Options
    Don't worry. I'll be up to 2,700 calories a day soon. Any tips on how to get up to that number? Like...any good, calorie-dense foods? I can chow down on nuts and nut butter, but anybody have any preferences? What's a good calorie-dense food for mostly protein, mostly carbs, and mostly fats for when I find I'm deficient in one but not the others?