so hard to be pregnant :(

Options
I currently have two children ages 4 and 2, and I'm 14w with #3. I had finally lost all of my pregnancy gain (i gained 50 lbs of not baby while pregnant), and now I am sad/scared to be gaining again. I have been trying to stay at a reasonable calorie goal (maintenance+ a few), but I've been consistently going over. I don't want to gain 50 lbs again. Sigh.

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @brwelch1 Please just try to enjoy your pregnancy. (That is so funny coming from me since I hated being pregnant with both of mine.) But really, you are only going to be pregnant a couple times in your life (unless you are a Duggar).

Growing another person inside you is hard. Cut yourself some slack. I question even calorie counting while pregnant. I'm pretty sure if I was pregnant again I would stop counting and try to eat healthy and exercise as was comfortable. You will lose the weight. You've proven that you know how to do that. But stressing yourself out over it doesn't help you, baby, or your weight. Be easy mama. Enjoy it as much as possible.

Congratulations!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I didn't worry about tracking calories when pregnant, but focused on eating within the food groups recommended, making sure to get a variety of veggies and proteins. I kept up all of my workouts too. I gained 50 lbs with my first 2 pregnancies and only 35 with the second (likely because she was a month premature - I would probably have made it to 50 given 4 more weeks). Very little of the weight was fat, and the extra weight came off pretty easily while nursing the baby. The only part I recall being hard to get rid of was the last 5-10 lbs, but I think that's pretty normal even without a pregnancy in the mix.

Focus on eating healthy and staying active - don't fret the numbers on the scale.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot during each of my three pregnancies and still don't regret it. If I could change anything about it looking back I would maybe not eat McDonald's fries every single day with #3 but they made me feel better at the time. Just focus on getting enough vitamins and minerals and try not to stress it too much with the weight. Besides with a 4 and a 2 year old to chase I'm sure you'll be getting plenty of exercise in the meantime.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was overweight when I got pregnant with both of mine and had really bad heartburn. I gained about 20lbs with each. My 2nd was a 10lbs baby. I actually put on more weight after my 2nd was born than I weighed while pregnant. It was very embarrassing and what prompted me to join MFP.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    But you're gaining baby, not fat! :)
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Yea it's a little frustrating, I was pretty much at my goal weight/physique when I got pregnant with #2.. but now I'm just trying to keep as active as I can, eat reasonably and enjoy this special time.
  • Lone_wolf46
    Lone_wolf46 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. sounds like you should have thought of this 14w ago. Just saying...
  • Vanilla_Lattes
    Vanilla_Lattes Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    rippin2U wrote: »

This was a pretty rude comment, actually. It wasn't a planned pregnancy and we were actually preventing, but thank you for your comment. Also, thanks to everyone who was supportive. I am mainly worried about it because my OB is really watching my weight this time and wants me to gain no more than 30. It's a different one than I'm used to seeing due to insurance.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    brwelch1 wrote: »

This was a pretty rude comment, actually. It wasn't a planned pregnancy and we were actually preventing, but thank you for your comment. Also, thanks to everyone who was supportive. I am mainly worried about it because my OB is really watching my weight this time and wants me to gain no more than 30. It's a different one than I'm used to seeing due to insurance.

Just like while you were losing, you need to make choices that will satisfy your hunger while not having an excess of calories. Smart choices for the win! :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    with all four of my babies I was on a feeding tube and picc line and in a hospital the entire time.....I would have loved the option to eat too much hahah. Just be reasonable and enjoy it, don't let this hang over your head. Don't use baby as a ticket to over indulge, and if baby is healthy and you're gaining slower than this dr would like, oh well!!
  • alyjb1121
    alyjb1121 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    brwelch1 wrote: »

Just like while you were losing, you need to make choices that will satisfy your hunger while not having an excess of calories. Smart choices for the win! :)

gosh people can be so mean, but @blankiefinder is right. try your best to make healthy choices.
    i feel for you. I was preventing too but since only abstinence is 100%, i became pregnant last october after losing 26lbs and dropping from size 13 to size 2. it hit me hard. i made myself miserable about it and i made people around me upset that i was miserable because they took the misery out of context ( i wasn't miserable about a baby, i love him!) But i gained 62lbs and now 4 months postpartum i have only lost 16 of it. it hurts. but i honestly believe if you have a stronger mind than i did you could come out on top of this. have a beautiful baby , enjoy your pregnancy, eat healthy but splurge sometimes on those cravings and then work hard to get your body back!! It's tough but we can do it. just please be strong, it hurts to know you may go through everything i did if you are not! I AM ROOTING FOR YOU!!! :smiley:
  • score45609
    score45609 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am sorry but I completely understand. I too have gained a lot of weight during my pregnancies and cannot imagine doing it again. Try to stay positive!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Most importantly, keep carbs below 120.
  • C_LO211
    C_LO211 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I can relate I was obese before I got pregnant with my 1st (she's 3 1/2 now) and gained about 60lbs even though my doc said to only gain 30lbs or less. After she was born I lost all the baby weight plus some and got down to my goal weight of 125lbs.....I lost 95lbs! Now that my husband and I are having another baby (I'm 19w) I am very worried about gaining to much and being out of control like I was before. I have been at maintained weight for over 2 years and already feel like I have gained to much for only being half way done. I try and eat healthy still but my cravings are getting the best of me.....I feel your pain HELP!!!!!
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    From someone who's been trying to conceive for four years and it's looking like it won't happen for us... You are unbelievably blessed. You are so, so lucky to have your little ones and another on the way. Yes, you'll gain weight. Yes, you're giving up your body for nine months plus breastfeeding time, then you'll have to work to lose weight again. But look at your kids now and imagine if you had been unable to have them. In a couple of years you'll be back at your goal weight - this isn't forever. You did brilliantly to lose all the weight before and you'll manage it again, and having that family is utterly priceless.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    From someone who's been trying to conceive for four years and it's looking like it won't happen for us... You are unbelievably blessed. You are so, so lucky to have your little ones and another on the way. Yes, you'll gain weight. Yes, you're giving up your body for nine months plus breastfeeding time, then you'll have to work to lose weight again. But look at your kids now and imagine if you had been unable to have them. In a couple of years you'll be back at your goal weight - this isn't forever. You did brilliantly to lose all the weight before and you'll manage it again, and having that family is utterly priceless.

^^
    This is what I was just thinking. I tried to conceive for five years and never was able to get pregnant. Be thankful because you're situation is one others travel to hell and back to be in, and sometimes never get there. You lost once and you can do it again.

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    You'll be ok... Just try to focus on one day at a time and not get overwhelmed with what you "might" gain.

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You just have to focus on yourself and the baby right now. Stress isn't good for either one of you. Try to stay calm and relax. In fact, you might try some meditation techniques - you can find classes locally or even look some stuff up online. When you are struggling with cravings and feel stressed, try the meditation.
    Even if you do gain too much weight, you can focus on losing it once you have had the baby.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    And here I am worried I'll never have a baby....

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stress is not good for the baby. Worry bout cooking it right now and know that you lost the weight once, so you will again. Congratulations!