Options

Replies

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would like to read this research that says wheat is significantly different in any way from a century ago

Also the clinical trials dealing with wheat and health issues in those who are not celiac or gluten intolerant would be interesting

Thank you

Check out Dr. Mercola. He's always a great place to start. :)

Link the studies please

It's your contention, your burden of proof

lol, my burden of proof? I did not realize this was a court case. I think you guys take message boards waaaay too seriously. Thank you for reminding me of my life behind a computer screen before I got off my rear and into shape.

That's how the world works. You make a claim, you have to be able to provide support for it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would like to read this research that says wheat is significantly different in any way from a century ago

Also the clinical trials dealing with wheat and health issues in those who are not celiac or gluten intolerant would be interesting

Thank you

Link the studies please

lol, my burden of proof? I did not realize this was a court case. I think you guys take message boards waaaay too seriously. Thank you for reminding me of my life behind a computer screen before I got off my rear and into shape.

Some people think that claims should be backed by some sort of evidence. Whether the claim is made on a computer is irrelevant. Do you think online statements should have a lower standard for accuracy than statements made in other ways?
  • tammibarbagallo
    tammibarbagallo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »

Thank you

Link the studies please

That's how the world works. You make a claim, you have to be able to provide support for it.

I'm going to assume you don't have anything to support your claim at this point,

This isn't the world sweetie. This is a message board.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    The comments are directed at me, even though I was not quoted. The article was about a study done by independent sources, not by the Canadian Wheat council.
    ..... on Canadian Western Red Spring Wheat.
    http://cerealchemistry.aaccnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/CCHEM-02-15-0029-R
    Most of the grain that you consume is not from this variety.
    Example: Most pasta products are produced from Durham Wheat.
    A totally different species which goes back to "all wheat is not created equal."

What is the difference between that wheat and durham wheat and how will it impact how my body processes it?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

Thank you

Link the studies please

I'm going to assume you don't have anything to support your claim at this point,

On the WORLD wide web ;) Don't call me sweetie, its rude, btw.

It works like that outside the web as well.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Thank you

Link the studies please

Oh so you do understand :)

If you post a weight loss theory on MFP it is helpful if you are able and willing to support your claim

Otherwise it's just more media based dieting industry woo that will just keep people on the merry go round of loss and gain and that's all we are trying to counteract

• janejellyroll
    Options

Thank you

Link the studies please

Wait, does this message board exist independently of the world? Or is it actually part of the world that we inhabit?
  • tammibarbagallo
    tammibarbagallo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm not checking any more notifications. Go ahead and believe conventional everything, dismiss everything else. If you want to believe there's no studies because I refuse to waste my time citing studies that you can pick apart and dismiss then so be it! They exist and a little bit of research would prove that to you. I used to believe that organic, whole wheat bread was a superfood!! After tons of personal experience and research I changed my mind. And It's not even 100% changed! New information and/or experience could change my mind again! I am open to everything and attached to nothing. I'm not a mindless fool who will accept anything that the mainstream feeds me. And I am proud of that. Like I said, I refuse to check any more notifications. You guys just want to argue. If you truly wanted to learn you'd log off of here and LEARN!!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I'm not checking any more notifications. Go ahead and believe conventional everything, dismiss everything else. If you want to believe there's no studies because I refuse to waste my time citing studies that you can pick apart and dismiss then so be it! They exist and a little bit of research would prove that to you. I used to believe that organic, whole wheat bread was a superfood!! After tons of personal experience and research I changed my mind. And It's not even 100% changed! New information and/or experience could change my mind again! I am open to everything and attached to nothing. I'm not a mindless fool who will accept anything that the mainstream feeds me. And I am proud of that. Like I said, I refuse to check any more notifications. You guys just want to argue. If you truly wanted to learn you'd log off of here and LEARN!!

If you change your mind and become willing to share the studies that convinced you, I'd still love to see them.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    What is the difference between that wheat and durham wheat and how will it impact how my body processes it?
    Now you are asking the right questions.
    The only way you are going to know for sure is to eliminate wheat from your diet for a period of time and then reintroduce it for comparison purposes. Don't expect the processor to get down to the plant species in their product when the law says labeling it as "wheat" satisfies the requirement.

It is regarded as a oxidant (inflammatory). That does not mean that your body will react that way but it's a great source of instant glucose.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    The only way you are going to know for sure is to eliminate wheat from your diet for a period of time and then reintroduce it for comparison purposes. Don't expect the processor to get down to the plant species in their product when the law says labeling it as "wheat" satisfies the requirement.

It is regarded as a oxidant (inflammatory). That does not mean that your body will react that way but it's a great source of instant glucose.

The only way to determine the differences between wheat strains is to do individual experiments? But how would this even work when I don't know the species that I am eliminating and reintroducing?

Is there any evidence, other than individuals reporting on their self-experimentations, that our body processes different strains differently?
  • x_blackrainbow
    x_blackrainbow Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    They exist and a little bit of research would prove that to you.
    If you truly wanted to learn you'd log off of here and LEARN!!

Why should I go through the trouble of looking for these studies you claim exist and run the risk of finding the wrong ones or none at all? That would turn out to be a huge waste of MY time, and it is also not my responsibility to prove your claims for you. If you truly wanted to educate, you'd pony up the links.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    As someone forced to cut out a large portion of foods that I used to eat regularly due to an allergy, I am holding onto my carbs until someone rips them from my cold, dead, carb-lovin' hands.

Unless you have an allergy or intolerance it just seems silly to cut all of any type of food from your diet.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Which is interesting, since whole-grain products are considered an antioxidant food source.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

So you waste just as much time arguing that you can't be bothered to share the studies that changed your mind on wheat consumption and would rather argue the toss?

Personally, if I'm so convinced there's cold hard evidence for my unconventional views you can be damn sure I will share them with all and anyone who expresses a vague interest in seeing them. But then I like basing my arguments in fact and not anecdote or flimsy opinion.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have a diabetic friend who was told to cut back on carbs and lost a lot of weight very quickly doing so, and has kept it off. If carbs are something you have a problem with, scaling back for a while will probably help your weight loss! Just make sure that when/if you add them back in you don't go hog wild, and continue to count your calories, or you can very easily gain the weight back. I hope this is a good solution for you guys! Having someone in the household who can't eat the carbs might help keep you in check. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, this thread is super old. My bad.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I have a diabetic friend who was told to cut back on carbs and lost a lot of weight very quickly doing so, and has kept it off. If carbs are something you have a problem with, scaling back for a while will probably help your weight loss! Just make sure that when/if you add them back in you don't go hog wild, and continue to count your calories, or you can very easily gain the weight back. I hope this is a good solution for you guys! Having someone in the household who can't eat the carbs might help keep you in check. Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, this thread is super old. My bad.

It's been newly active. it's okay.

The reason that your friend lost so much weight is because of the calorie deficit. Cutting out a food group without replacing those calories by bumping up another food group leads to a calorie deficit, which leads to weight loss.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    The reason that your friend lost so much weight is because of the calorie deficit. Cutting out a food group without replacing those calories by bumping up another food group leads to a calorie deficit, which leads to weight loss.

...... or not. Low carb has been around since before the calorie unit was even implemented.
    MYTH #1: YOU MUST COUNT CALORIES TO LOSE WEIGHT
    Back in the 1800s there was a very fat man named William Banting who thought he was going deaf.
    Banting was a prosperous 66-year-old London undertaker who was so rotund he couldn’t tie his own shoelaces. At 5’5” and 202 pounds (!) he was so fat he had to walk downstairs backwards. In August 1862 Banting took himself to see a doctor named William Harvey, who promptly figured out that Banting’s problem wasn’t deafness; it was obesity.
    His fat was pressing on his inner ear!
    Dr. Harvey took a look at Banting’s diet, which was heavily laden with bread, sugar, pastries and beer, and put him on a diet of meat. Instead of starting the day with sugared tea and toast, Banting now started the day with 5 or 6 ounces of beef, mutton, kidneys, bacon or broiled fish. He stopped eating potatoes and pastry. He still consumed some carbs, but only a fraction of the amount he had been consuming previously.
    The calorie as a unit of measurement hadn’t been invented yet, but we know now that on the meat-centered diet Banting was consuming close to 2800 calories, which is a lot.
    He lost over 50 pounds in 6 months.
    Postscript: He kept the weight off and lived comfortably till the age of 81.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

...... or not. Low carb has been around since before the calorie unit was even implemented.
    Back in the 1800s there was a very fat man named William Banting who thought he was going deaf.
    Banting was a prosperous 66-year-old London undertaker who was so rotund he couldn’t tie his own shoelaces. At 5’5” and 202 pounds (!) he was so fat he had to walk downstairs backwards. In August 1862 Banting took himself to see a doctor named William Harvey, who promptly figured out that Banting’s problem wasn’t deafness; it was obesity.
    Dr. Harvey took a look at Banting’s diet, which was heavily laden with bread, sugar, pastries and beer, and put him on a diet of meat. Instead of starting the day with sugared tea and toast, Banting now started the day with 5 or 6 ounces of beef, mutton, kidneys, bacon or broiled fish. He stopped eating potatoes and pastry. He still consumed some carbs, but only a fraction of the amount he had been consuming previously.
    The calorie as a unit of measurement hadn’t been invented yet, but we know now that on the meat-centered diet Banting was consuming close to 2800 calories, which is a lot.

A way to measure the energy in food wasn't invented, or a name for it but calories still existed. Cutting out carbs just reduced the energy intake. The name for it is irrelevant, the science remains that energy in was less energy than out resulting in lost weight. This can be achieved without cutting whole food groups.

This excerpt only gives an estimate for calories after carbs, not one for the period he did consume them. It's a terrible example for the argument against carb consumption all round.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

This makes no logical sense. If you don't know the calorie count of what he was eating, how can you say what the calorie count was over a hundred years later, and that it made no difference?

"People can come up with statistics to prove anything Kent, Forfty percent of people know that!" - Homer Simpson