Wheat Belly?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    N200lz wrote: »
    Really? Have you even seen a seed-head recently?
    More seeds per head which equates to more yield per acre ......... but it hasn't changed, right?

Do you eat corn? Are you aware that corn didn't even exist before it was genetically modified to be an edible plant? And that was pre-European invasion on the American continent.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Really? Have you even seen a seed-head recently?
    More seeds per head which equates to more yield per acre ......... but it hasn't changed, right?

How does having more seeds per head impact how our body processes it?
  • tammibarbagallo
    tammibarbagallo Posts: 11 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have been looking around the message boards for the first time today and I was amazed at how nice everyone is, until....lol! But as the saying goes, "never talk about politics, religion and...um...bread". I stumbled on the book Wheat Belly during my weight loss journey after doing a search for something like "why does eating bread make me so hungry?" While I try to always remain open minded and objective (as we ALL should) I am more convinced than ever that the wheat of today in the US and some other countries is NOT healthy and definitely not helpful for most people's weight loss. There is a lot of prevailing research that says the same. I do believe, however, that some people can tolerate it better than others. A trainer commented a few months ago that a type II diabetic doesn't have to watch carb intake. I cringed when I read this!! It's this type of cavalier advice giving in the personal training world that gives PTs a bad name. And ACE certified too?! Tsk tsk! You should know better. ACE absolutely forbids such advice. I don't agree with the food pyramid so I don't recommend it to clients. I encourage them, instead, to educate themselves about their own bodies. As soon as you are convinced you know everything, that's when you are truly a fool. We all have MUCH growing to do and science and our bodies are constantly evolving.
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Do you eat corn? Are you aware that corn didn't even exist before it was genetically modified to be an edible plant? And that was pre-European invasion on the American continent.
    Is that directed at me? If it is then no, I do not eat corn.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were saying it hasn't changed.
    If you search long enough you can even find articles on the internet that support smoking.

Sorry, but a research document produced by the wheat council in Canada doesn't sway me much especially when I consider my own experience related to wheat.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I have been looking around the message boards for the first time today and I was amazed at how nice everyone is, until....lol! But as the saying goes, "never talk about politics, religion and...um...bread". I stumbled on the book Wheat Belly during my weight loss journey after doing a search for something like "why does eating bread make me so hungry?" I am absolutely convinced that the wheat of today in the US and some other countries is NOT healthy. There is a lot of prevailing research that says the same. I do believe, however, that some people can tolerate it better than others. A trainer commented a few months ago that a type II diabetic doesn't have to watch carb intake. I cringed when I read this!! It's this type of cavalier advice giving in the personal training world that gives PTs a bad name. And ACE certified too?! Tsk tsk! You should know better. ACE absolutely forbids such advice. I don't agree with the food pyramid so I don't recommend it to clients. I encourage them, instead, to educate themselves about their own bodies. As soon as you are convinced you know everything, that's when you are truly a fool. We all have MUCH growing to do and science and our bodies are constantly evolving.

What research are you referring to?
  • janejellyroll
    edited November 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Is that directed at me? If it is then no, I do not eat corn.
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were saying it hasn't changed.
    If you search long enough you can even find articles on the internet that support smoking.

Sorry, but a research document produced by the wheat council in Canada doesn't sway me much especially when I consider my own experience related to wheat.

I never claimed that wheat hadn't changed. Multiple people are involved in this conversation. How does the number of seeds per head, the change you're citing, impact how our body processes it? That's my question. I have no idea what that has to do with smoking. You're the one claiming wheat, a food eaten by humans for thousands and thousands of years, is harmful. I'm asking what evidence you have in support of that claim. If you are claiming that wheat was okay in the past and is only now harmful, I'm asking what evidence you have in support of that claim.

I didn't post anything from the Canadian Wheat Council. You may want to review the conversation to see which people made which comments.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would like to read this research that says wheat is significantly different in any way from a century ago

Also the clinical trials dealing with wheat and health issues in those who are not celiac or gluten intolerant would be interesting

Thank you
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The comments are directed at me, even though I was not quoted. The article was about a study done by independent sources, not by the Canadian Wheat council.
    The research, which was funded by independent (non-industry) sources including the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture and Food, and the Canada Research Chairs Program, will hopefully help consumers overcome their fear of bread and pasta.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    The comments are directed at me, even though I was not quoted. The article was about a study done by independent sources, not by the Canadian Wheat council.
    The research, which was funded by independent (non-industry) sources including the University of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Ministry of Agriculture and Food, and the Canada Research Chairs Program, will hopefully help consumers overcome their fear of bread and pasta.

Wow, talk about your wild pretexts for dismissing valid information . . .
  • N200lz
    Options
    I don't agree with the food pyramid so I don't recommend it to clients.
    What???? You don't agree on diet recommendation as they were presented by then Senator McGovern from the great wheat producing state of South Dakota?????
  • tammibarbagallo
    Options
    I have been looking around the message boards for the first time today and I was amazed at how nice everyone is, until....lol! But as the saying goes, "never talk about politics, religion and...um...bread". I stumbled on the book Wheat Belly during my weight loss journey after doing a search for something like "why does eating bread make me so hungry?" I am absolutely convinced that the wheat of today in the US and some other countries is NOT healthy. There is a lot of prevailing research that says the same. I do believe, however, that some people can tolerate it better than others. A trainer commented a few months ago that a type II diabetic doesn't have to watch carb intake. I cringed when I read this!! It's this type of cavalier advice giving in the personal training world that gives PTs a bad name. And ACE certified too?! Tsk tsk! You should know better. ACE absolutely forbids such advice. I don't agree with the food pyramid so I don't recommend it to clients. I encourage them, instead, to educate themselves about their own bodies. As soon as you are convinced you know everything, that's when you are truly a fool. We all have MUCH growing to do and science and our bodies are constantly evolving.

I'm guessing you're not truly interested in actual studies because I've been down this road enough to know how people are about this subject. However, IF you truly are interested, why don't you start with Dr Mercola? He is a true doctor and references actual scientific studies in his reports.
  • tammibarbagallo
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I would like to read this research that says wheat is significantly different in any way from a century ago

Also the clinical trials dealing with wheat and health issues in those who are not celiac or gluten intolerant would be interesting

Thank you

Check out Dr. Mercola. He's always a great place to start. :)
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    I don't agree with the food pyramid so I don't recommend it to clients.
    What???? You don't agree on diet recommendation as they were presented by then Senator McGovern from the great wheat producing state of South Dakota?????

You realize the food pyramid has been updated since then, right?
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I'm guessing you're not truly interested in actual studies because I've been down this road enough to know how people are about this subject. However, IF you truly are interested, why don't you start with Dr Mercola? He is a true doctor and references actual scientific studies in his reports.

Mercola, who thinks sunscreen causes cancer and that HIV is unrelated to AIDS? Mercola, frequently featured on Quackwatch.com? Mercola, who opposes immunization?

I am interested in actual studies. If you have studies cited by Mercola that you would like to reference, please feel free to share them. I would love to see them. But I'm not about to wade into the cesspool of his website again. I have no time for HIV denialists and anti-vaxxers.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Thank you

Are you also into homeopathy?
  • tammibarbagallo
    edited November 2015
    Options

Mercola, who thinks sunscreen causes cancer and that HIV is unrelated to AIDS? Mercola, frequently featured on Quackwatch.com? Mercola, who opposes immunization?

I am interested in actual studies. If you have studies cited by Mercola that you would like to reference, please feel free to share them. I would love to see them. But I'm not about to wade into the cesspool of his website again. I have no time for HIV denialists and anti-vaxxers.

Like I said, why don't you check out the actual studies he references instead of cherry picking what conforms to your preset opinion on the subject. I'm not about to waste my time finding studies for you to shoot down. And I actually believe sunscreen is horrible! However, I know your kind. You have plenty of other people on here to argue with. I'm not big on message boards and this is why. I'm hopping off of here to go enjoy my life. Not a fan of bickering but enjoy!!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

Thank you

Link the studies please

It's your contention, your burden of proof
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Like I said, why don't you check out the actual studies he references instead of cherry picking what conforms to your preset opinion on the subject. And I actually believe sunscreen is horrible! However, I know your kind. You have plenty of other people on here to argue with. I'm not big on message boards and this is why. I'm hopping off of here to go enjoy my life. Not a fan of bickering but enjoy!!

Which studies are you referring to? I'm sorry it's frustrating to you when people challenge your view, but Mercola is a major peddler of pseudoscience. It would be reckless to accept his claims at face value without digging into the studies that he cites. In the past he has made claims that are not backed by the studies he references, as well as made claims that aren't backed by ANY type of science (HIV is unrelated to AIDS, homeopathy works, etc).
  • tammibarbagallo
    Options

Thank you

Link the studies please

It's your contention, your burden of proof

lol, my burden of proof? I did not realize this was a court case. I think you guys take message boards waaaay too seriously. Thank you for reminding me of my life behind a computer screen before I got off my rear and into shape.
  • N200lz
    Options
    Azexas wrote: »
    ..... on Canadian Western Red Spring Wheat.
    http://cerealchemistry.aaccnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/CCHEM-02-15-0029-R
    Most of the grain that you consume is not from this variety.
    Example: Most pasta products are produced from Durham Wheat.
    A totally different species which goes back to "all wheat is not created equal."