Logging while at a party?

So, I'll be at a bridal shower this weekend and I do plan to eat some things while there. In moderation of course, but if I plan to have small amounts of several things... what are some suggestions for how to log this?

You know how it goes at these things, random snacks and sweets so I won't be able to log accurately. Just quick add a number and don't worry about it? Try to be as accurate as possible? I'm just not sure.

Any help is appreciated. :)

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Well I have a pretty good idea of how many calories are in things now so I just add it in my head and log whatever it comes to in the end as quick calories, usually.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    I would be mindful of what your eating and just have fun, allow yourself to eat at maintenance that day.
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Well I have a pretty good idea of how many calories are in things now so I just add it in my head and log whatever it comes to in the end as quick calories, usually.

That's what I'm thinking. I'm not going to stress about it too much, but I still want to be in the habit of logging.
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    If it's not too weird, I'll sometimes take a picture of my plate and then log as best I can later.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    I just guess. One day won't make a difference
  • Want2bthin135
    Want2bthin135 Posts: 30 Member
    Owlfan88 wrote: »
    If it's not too weird, I'll sometimes take a picture of my plate and then log as best I can later.

This is what I did last weekend at a baby shower, then I logged it later. I skipped the cake and potato chips.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited November 2015
    I went to a party last year and took a mental tally of everything I ate.. then just picked random things from the database. I could have skipped logging that day, but I was actually curious and preferred to keep track at the time. It's kind of interesting to look back on:

7rt8u61mm0ky.jpg
  • tristen_leigh
    tristen_leigh Posts: 214 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I went to a party last year and took a mental tally of everything I ate.. then just picked random things from the database. I could have skipped logging that day, but I was actually curious and preferred to keep track at the time. It's kind of interesting to look back on:

7rt8u61mm0ky.jpg

Very interesting! And delicious. Haha! Thank you for sharing.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited November 2015

That's the method I use too. Find similar.
  • sardelsa
    I should add I was bulking at the time, obviously if I was at deficit it would have looked a little different! :) Normally at parties I usually pick lots of veggies and foods I love the most and have those, I find even having tiny bits of everything can add up (as you can see!). But it's also one day so you should enjoy yourself so even if you go over, no big deal, log it and move on :)
  • Francl27

7rt8u61mm0ky.jpg

It's what I've done most of the time, but it always ends up pretty much what I thought it was.

To be fair though, you picked a low amount of calories for a lot of things... most cupcakes are closer to 350 calories, one slice of sausage pizza is usually 350 calories etc... just saying :p but it's just one day...
  • sardelsa
    edited November 2015
    Francl27 wrote: »

7rt8u61mm0ky.jpg

It's what I've done most of the time, but it always ends up pretty much what I thought it was.

To be fair though, you picked a low amount of calories for a lot of things... most cupcakes are closer to 350 calories, one slice of sausage pizza is usually 350 calories etc... just saying :p but it's just one day...

Yea when I'm bulking I tend to underestimate. The pizza was homemade and cut really small. Also I believe they were those really mini cupcakes.. but it was a year ago so who knows.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    I use food notes and/or pictures and log it later. I estimate the home made items. At this point, I have a good idea on portion sizes and calorie counts of different items.

67gljrmi6h70.png
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    I was just at a Halloween party last weekend and ran into the same thing. Decided beforehand it would be a "maintenance +" calorie intake day.

I rough estimated my intake and selected what I thought was something close in the database because a lot of the snacks and treats were homemade recipes. I wasn't wasting time hounding people for recipes. There was fun to be had!

One day of indulgence isn't going to cause you any sustained, or substantial, weight gain. Chances are good that you would still be at a deficit for the week if you were on track the 6 other days.
  • sardelsa
    @The_Enginerd that is quite glorious ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I would just go to the party and enjoy myself and not worry about it.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    @The_Enginerd that is quite glorious ;)

It was a good thing I noted it as the evening went along or I would never have remembered it all. :tongue: Good Halloween party :smiley:

I was pretty impressed how much it added up.
  • Francl27
    please don't log food at parties - just don't -
    if you eat more than what you can remember, you have eaten WAY TOO MUCH

I disagree. I want to know how bad it is. Denial is what made me fat in the first place. Sometimes it seems like it's OMG so much food, and you're actually still at maintenance... or you think it wasn't that bad but then you log everything and it's like 3000 and at least you know why you gained 4 pounds overnight (I know, water weight, but whatever)... and it's easier to figure out your TDEE (which is the main point of the diary for me) if you're as accurate as possible.

The diary is a tool for me, so I see no point in not logging everything.