Dairy Free Help!

Options
I know dairy makes me not feel great (lactose intolerant) but am so addicted to cheese!

Anyone in the same boat? I eat quite clean otherwise (no gluten, limited meat) but can't kick this last bad habit and know I need to not only to feel optimal but lose those last ten pounds!

Would anyone want to join me to focus on one week with no dairy? Let me know!

Replies

• HealthyJan2016
    HealthyJan2016 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My husband is lacto intolerant. I buy Cabot cheese in the brick form. Real cheese that's REALLY GOOD and no lactose naturally. My whole family can enjoy because it's real cheese and not soy based fake Cheese. They have low fat too...
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat meat instead of dairy.
  • eba2003
    eba2003 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Try humous or nut patés.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eating a dairy free cheese won't help you lose the last 10 pounds, either will eating clean.

You just need to reduce your calories below your burn rate and they will slowly come off.

Even if you are eating ice cream which happens to be my favourite dairy food :)

If you are just looking for a dairy free cheese then violife is the best tasting one I've tried followed closely by Arla brand.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    If it makes you sick enough, you'll stop eating it. If it doesn't, there is no reason to stop eating it.

I am able to have very small amounts of dairy (or large amounts of cottage cheese) without any problems. I always liked ice cream and cream sauces, but they'd make me sick in the end, so I leaned toward sherbets instead of ice cream and tomato sauces instead of cream ones.

If it makes you sick, you just find ways around it.

Dairy won't stop you from losing weight. If you have issues with it, you might pick up a pound or so from the bloating, but as far as losing weight goes, it won't stop you. Feeling your best is important for so many reasons, obviously, and being a fart machine doesn't help anyone!

Just do what you can. You'll know what you can and cannot handle. My our body will make it very clear. :)
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Limit cheese to 1 oz./day. Make it so!
  • kram479
    kram479 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone will definitely check out your recs!
  • monica_621
    monica_621 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Eat hard cheeses, dairy messes me up badly and makes me break out immediately, but hard cheeses never do.
    I can still eat yogurt, idk about you, because of the bacteria-- it settles my stomach. Turkey Hill makes a slamming frozen yogurt with active cultures in it (so it doesn't hurt my stomach) and tastes exactly like vanilla ice cream. Yasso also makes delicious frozen greek yogurt bars that I can't get enough of!

I've been dairy free for months and after you do it for a small amount of time, your body will probably reject it even more if you do eat it again. It's so annoying that I ended up wanting to drop it for good!
  • fhocklax27
    fhocklax27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm not sure if you know this, but dairy is an extremely addictive substance. In fact, studies have shown that it has the same effect on your brain as heroin. Crazy, right?? I recommend you to look at this like any addiction and slowly start taking it away. I am currently dairy free, and it took 2 MONTHS for me to finally kick it. But, you should definitely stick to it because the health benefits are phenomenal. Try substituting pacific almond milk for milk, earth balance butter rather than dairy, and gelato dream (the salted caramel flavor is unreal) over icecream. Best of luck!! Send me a message if you ever need any more advice, I'd be glad to chat. :blush:
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I've been looking into some gluten and dairy free recipes, haven't tried any, but found several web sites with lots. (for daughter with health issues)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I can tolerate ferments red dairy and hard cheeses since those are naturally low in lactose or nearly lactose free. Try eating aged cheddars and parmesan instead of fresh mozzarellas, cottage cheese, and other "soft" cheeses. They may not bother your stomach as much.

As for nondairy cheeses, Daiya is about the best brand that I've been able to find. Thier cheddar-style slices are really yummy and get super melty on sandwiches. They'll send you coupons if you email them and ask really nicely, so you can do that if you're insterested in trying them.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    @vinegar_husbands

You know of any good lactose cheeses?
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    There is also apparently a sort of faux "cheese" spread available and being made out there that consists mainly of nuts and spices. Seriously. I haven't tried any yet but if you like cheese maybe google "nut cheese" and see if there are any local artisans who produce it inn your area!
  • kram479
    kram479 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    awesome! i will definitely check out all these "cheeses"! hopefully they can help me break my addiction! I've seen Daiya at Whole Foods but always been wary but will definitely check it out

@vinegar_husbands I would love to not be dairy free but I know it messes with my digestion and makes me feel bloated! just trying to play with my diet so I can feel my best and this seemed like a clear area I could improve upon! appreciate all your help and suggestions, will definitely not melt Daiya :)
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Make sure to send emails to The companies that you're interested in! I emailed Daiya asking for coupons or free samples and they sent me 1 free product coupon and 2 $1 off coupons. Just be sure to ask nicely!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    fhocklax27 wrote: »
    Hey there, I'm not sure if you know this, but dairy is an extremely addictive substance. In fact, studies have shown that it has the same effect on your brain as heroin. Crazy, right?? I recommend you to look at this like any addiction and slowly start taking it away. I am currently dairy free, and it took 2 MONTHS for me to finally kick it. But, you should definitely stick to it because the health benefits are phenomenal. Try substituting pacific almond milk for milk, earth balance butter rather than dairy, and gelato dream (the salted caramel flavor is unreal) over icecream. Best of luck!! Send me a message if you ever need any more advice, I'd be glad to chat. :blush:

Can you share some of these studies? I'd like to see some source materials for these claims.
  • riley4785
    riley4785 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dairy allergic kids and have built up my collection of go to recipes that don't include cheese. Honestly cheese has been the hardest part of dairy for me to kick too. I've finally gotten there, but it took a long time to not crave it! I don't like any of the nondairy cheeses so I don't have a recommendation for a substitute. My dairy allergic tot won't touch the cheese substitutes either so it hasn't been worth the money or effort for us. The best thing I learned to do was put together my menus with meals that aren't dependent on dairy. It has literally taken me over a year to have a go to menu without cheese but I'm there. I now even like cheese-less pizza. Loading up on lots of other toppings makes up the difference for not having cheese! I'm convinced that diary is addictive like sugar which is why it's so hard to kick it. I'm just thankful that there are enough good milk and butter alternatives! Without them cooking for the dairy allergic would be super hard! Dropping cheese from our diet has been a cost savings too since cheese is expensive and non-dairy cheeses tend to be as well. It really became a menu challenge more than anything to just plain drop it as an ingredient.