I have logged for 60 days but no weight loss

Options
Hi I am 67 years old I've been logging in my calories for 60 days I've only lost and gained the same 3 pounds. I'm 5'3 inches tall and I weigh 155 . I simply want to get down to 145 but it just is not happening for me. I have a 1200 cal intake daily. Should I Change my calorie intake to 1000 cal Per day? I exercise almost daily for at least a half hour to 45 minutes.

Replies

• cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The flow chart really is the handiest thing. -Nods-

First thing I ask is if you weigh your food.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Are you free from any hormonal issues?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • joshuakcaron
    joshuakcaron Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think the most common error I see people making (myself included) is underestimating how much we are eating / over estimating exercise calories and eating them back.

That flow chart is amazing and o struggled to lose weight in the past - invested in a scale and started to lose weight. Was shocked at how much I was actually eating vs how much i thought I was eating.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Was shocked at how much I was actually eating vs how much i thought I was eating.
    Just used my food scale for the first time yesterday and I was shocked. My usual 'serving' of rice measured with a one Cup measure was much more than an appropriate weighed portion.

So really make an effort to be accurate. Start weighing foods!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    I think the most common error I see people making (myself included) is underestimating how much we are eating / over estimating exercise calories and eating them back.

That flow chart is amazing and o struggled to lose weight in the past - invested in a scale and started to lose weight. Was shocked at how much I was actually eating vs how much i thought I was eating.

So true! When I actually started logging and weighing I realized I was eating a LOT of calories.

• daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »

That flow chart was created by @lemonlionheart , it would be nice if people credited her when they copy and post.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Have you done your BMR/TDEE calculations? I'm 166, 5'4 and my BMR is around 1450 so if you are only eating 1200 calories and then exercising on top of that, you're probably not eating enough. I was basically doing exactly what you're doing and not losing. I upped my calories to 1500-1600 depending on exercise and started losing. It is worth saying that I also weigh everything I eat. Tighten up your logging.... maybe try eating back half your exercise calories and you should see a difference.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Have you done your BMR/TDEE calculations? I'm 166, 5'4 and my BMR is around 1450 so if you are only eating 1200 calories and then exercising on top of that, you're probably not eating enough. I was basically doing exactly what you're doing and not losing. I upped my calories to 1500-1600 depending on exercise and started losing. It is worth saying that I also weigh everything I eat. Tighten up your logging.... maybe try eating back half your exercise calories and you should see a difference.

~sits back, grabs popcorn...~

• heatherlewisis
    heatherlewisis Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No such thing as not losing weight because someone is not eating enough... People go on these ridiculous starvation diets under doctors' orders, drinking 500 calories a day, and lose tons of weight... So, no. Although for energy's and muscles' sake I would never recommend those programs...
  • jshay295
    jshay295 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten your thyroid checked?
  • SuperCRAS
    SuperCRAS Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I certainly feel your frustration. I'm on day 11 and the scale hasn't moved. I'm in the gym 5 days a week and I think I might be overestimating calories burned and eating them back for a weight loss of zero. The only problem with that logic is that when you don't eat enough calories, MFP tells you so I guess the key is to not eat all your burned calories back. My husband told me that my weight might be redistributing and that's why I don't see the scale moving. Muscle weight vs fat weight. Only time will tell.

Best of luck to everyone on their journey!!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

That flow chart was created by @lemonlionheart , it would be nice if people credited her when they copy and post.

I didn't get it from lemonlionheart so I was unaware. Lots of people use it in the forums so it's a common tool and I'm sure it's appreciated that she made it. For me it's a simple and helpful reply. If she wanted to be credited for it every single time it was posted, she easily could have watermarked it. Otherwise, the info isn't necessary to help people on their weight loss journey so I do not include it. But I will take the time to thank her here: Thank you @lemonlionheart for creating the flowchart and allowing others to share it to help members and their weight loss journeys. If you would like me to credit you every time I use it to help a member, just let me know.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    @mileyjcomcastnet2015 It looks like you're getting good advice above and a few people have asked questions to try and give you more specific advice. Have you had a chance to read through it yet? Do you have any followup questions?
  • nan3087
    nan3087 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hello everybody, I'm in the same situation. I did a resting metabolism test which said that I'm supposed to eat 1450 calories per day. I have been eating right, using a scale, completing 5 workouts every week (3 days of cardio and 2 days of strength training). Unfortunately, I saw results one week and half after I started all this healthy journey, so I did gained muscle and lost 2%of fat. So happy!
    I kept doing the same thing, eating right, measuring my food using a scale and etc. I checked my weight one week after, and lost 1 pound and gained 1%of fat. So confused about why I'm getting the fat back :neutral:

Any ideas? ?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nan3087 wrote: »
    Hello everybody, I'm in the same situation. I did a resting metabolism test which said that I'm supposed to eat 1450 calories per day. I have been eating right, using a scale, completing 5 workouts every week (3 days of cardio and 2 days of strength training). Unfortunately, I saw results one week and half after I started all this healthy journey, so I did gained muscle and lost 2%of fat. So happy!
    I kept doing the same thing, eating right, measuring my food using a scale and etc. I checked my weight one week after, and lost 1 pound and gained 1%of fat. So confused about why I'm getting the fat back :neutral:

Any ideas? ?

How are you measuring your body fat percentages?
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    cdudley628 wrote: »

I didn't get it from lemonlionheart so I was unaware. Lots of people use it in the forums so it's a common tool and I'm sure it's appreciated that she made it. For me it's a simple and helpful reply. If she wanted to be credited for it every single time it was posted, she easily could have watermarked it. Otherwise, the info isn't necessary to help people on their weight loss journey so I do not include it. But I will take the time to thank her here: Thank you @lemonlionheart for creating the flowchart and allowing others to share it to help members and their weight loss journeys. If you would like me to credit you every time I use it to help a member, just let me know.

I actually don't care about being credited for the flow chart :)
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Dani, this wonderful flowchart has been copied and pasted so many times that I'm sure nobody knows who the originator is. Thanks for reminding us.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options

Dani, this wonderful flowchart has been copied and pasted so many times that I'm sure nobody knows who the originator is. Thanks for reminding us.

I don't mind! If I felt the need to be credited each time I would have signed my name on there somewhere. As long as no-one is going around claiming they made it, it's alll good :)