Recipe Builder on MFP

Options
optionsgod
optionsgod Posts: 144 Member
The recipe builder on here is a great tool, I just learned about it a few weeks ago. I tend to make a lot of things where I mix in a lot of ingredients. My question is...

How do I determine how many servings it is? I know where to input it... but for example lets say I have 12 ounces of chicken, 4 ounces of mushroom ,6 ounces of onion - that would be 22 ounces of food, how do I determined how much 1 serving should be?

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    optionsgod wrote: »
    The recipe builder on here is a great tool, I just learned about it a few weeks ago. I tend to make a lot of things where I mix in a lot of ingredients. My question is...

How do I determine how many servings it is? I know where to input it... but for example lets say I have 12 ounces of chicken, 4 ounces of mushroom ,6 ounces of onion - that would be 22 ounces of food, how do I determined how much 1 serving should be?
    That would be 22 ounces before you cook them. The recipe will weigh less after it is cooked, mostly due to water evaporation.

What many people do for servings is weigh the recipe after it's cooked (usually in grams) and then set that as the number of servings to make it easy when you want to eat some.

Let's say that the final result weighs 17 ounces. You could put that as 17 servings. That way, when you weighed out 4.8 ounces to eat, you could just enter 4.8 servings.
  • optionsgod
    Options
    ahhh ok , makes sense. So I could always use that formula?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    optionsgod wrote: »
    ahhh ok , makes sense. So I could always use that formula?
    How much weight is lost through cooking will vary depending upon the recipe.

Weigh every item as it goes into the recipe to get the nutritional information.

Weigh the final result after cooking and put the weight of final result in as the total number of servings to make it easy to input when you weigh out how much you want to eat.
  • Barbs2222
    Barbs2222 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I weigh all the ingredients and add up the calories. Then I weigh the dish when it's cooked. (Don't forget to weigh the pan or baking dish, so you can minus that out.) Then you have calories to the gram. Some people say I over think this but it does work.
  • optionsgod
    Options
    Very helpful. Thanks everyone
  • 321BooM
    321BooM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    When I enter a recipe I know that with the portion sizes myself and OH eat it will make 6 servings (for example) so I just put 6 servings. I must be terrible, hadn't thought about weighing it!
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Someone suggested this method to me recently, which was I thought very nifty.

So you weigh you ingredients in their raw, precooked state. I prefer using grams, myself. Make sure to select the appropriate raw ingredient from the database. This gives you an excellent total calorie value for your dish. For instance I just made Curried Cabbage and Beets. The precooked weight was 2300 grams.

Then after cooking it you weigh the entire batch and enter that as the number of servings. My Curried Cabbage and Beets weighed 2109 grams after cooking, so 2109 servings.

Then when I dish out a portion I can enter the gram weight measurement as the number of servings. Lunch today has 309 grams of the recipe and is logged as 309 servings.