1200 calorie diet buddies wanted!

Options

Replies

• TrickyDisco
    TrickyDisco Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    1200 isn't the answer guys... look into it

You are wrong there. 1200 calories a day is the amount many smaller women have to limit themselves to in order to lose even half a pound a week, particularly if they can't exercise to earn extra calories to eat.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

You are wrong there. 1200 calories a day is the amount many smaller women have to limit themselves to in order to lose even half a pound a week, particularly if they can't exercise to earn extra calories to eat.

Yes, and I addressed that in my post above. A small % of older, petite women MUST eat no more that 1200 to lose even 1/2 pound a week. From the avatars....I don't see many seniors. I'm guessing most posters aren't 4'8" tall either.

But a much larger % of women can eat more. They just put in a weekly goal of 2 pounds a week and accept 1200 without question. This type of user error is fairly common.
  • misssammyrusso
    misssammyrusso Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Yep this is the situation in in. I started at 63 kilos and opted for 0.5 per week loss. Was recommended 1200/day.
    I'm just hitting 0.5 loss per week... It is hard though! Hence why I'm always going a little over :)
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    At 55 years old and 5'5", I went from 158 to 117, by eating 1,200 calories a day but I packed healthy items throughout the day into that 1,200.

I think someone younger, may have to decide if their activity level might require a few more calories.

Susan
  • Wizeman22
    Wizeman22 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Add me
  • susb
    Options
    I don't like the feeling that food has control over me; I like feeling that I have the power to control food. It makes me feel better when I wake up in the morning.

Susan
  • VanityAngel2015
    VanityAngel2015 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    megliner wrote: »
    Hey everyone my name is Megan! I am starting my 1200 calorie diet today as I am trying to lose 2 lbs a week until my birthday March 28! I would love to have some friends we can share diaries with to get ideas for what 1200 calories looks like! So please add me so we can motivate and inspire one another for a successful life change!

Hi! You've got the same goal as me. I want to lose 2lb a week until my birthday too (March 29). I'm at 1200 calories but often go under.
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I am trying 1200 calories plus half or so of exercise calories. I haven't been very strict with myself lately and the loosing is stopped. I need to get back to being more serious about it. I am 5'4" and 47 years old. I have lost 36 lbs since Jan 5th but have stalled and been loosing and gaining the same 2 lbs for the last 6 weeks. I need to make some better food choices so I can loose the last 15 lbs or so.
  • susb
    Options
    I would try to aim for at least 1,200 a day, as someone said earlier that is a minimum recommendation that should be met. I do know that your metabolism can go into a mode where it will not allow you to lose weight because it perceived that you may be starving. That is why it best to eat at least 1,200, plus it is hard to sustain.

Here's an example of a spaced out 1,200 day. I add green tea when I choose.

Breakfast 250
    Morning snack 100
    Lunch 350
    Afternoon snack 100
    Dinner 400

Susan
  • amorie2007
    amorie2007 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Salutations all, I just found this app & love it!!! I'm also at 1200 calories per day. Not sure how this works or how I can remain in contact w/you. However, add me in!!
  • Lindsey1619
    Lindsey1619 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm on a 1000 calorie diet and would love the help as well. Goal is to lose as much weight as possible.
  • Hearndt
    Hearndt Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 too but I use the motivation of the calorie burn from exercise to keep me moving. Also I have a fitbit and it syncs with MPF to make sure I'm not over or under estimating my activity level, you'd be surprised. Sedentary is actually really hard to accomplish and even lightly active gives you more calories! I lost 50 lbs with mfp a few years ago but I gained 30 back and so am at it again, feel free to add me. I don't always make the smartest choices but I do accurately log and am really good with my water intake!
  • heronk224
    heronk224 Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi all- I'm also at 1200 calories, so feel free to add me. I'm fairly petite so I'm having trouble losing weight even at this calorie level. Is anyone else having this problem? I'm trying to lose 15-20 pounds
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and 61 years old ( I think that puts me very close to "senior and petite" :smile: ). I'm on 1200 calories and lose about 3# a month. I eat most of my exercise calories back- about 75%. I've lost before but gained it back because I went too fast and had no idea how to maintain. I'm going slowly this time and with 10# to get to my goal weight I'm in no rush. My attention this time is to learn healthy eating habits for life. So that I can maintain my GW and stop the yo-yo.
  • susb
    Options
    Sounds good fiddletime. Once you set up the healthy pattern in order to create the deficit to lose weight, all you have to do, once you hit your goal weight, is to add a few hundred calories in order to maintain.

It is easier to count calories and stay in a certain area like1,200 or so to lose the weight. You don't have much wiggle room once you add back calories in order to maintain. When you go over what your body can't burn off, little increments of weight can sneak back on.

That's why it is best to keep tracking until you have a pattern going.

Susan
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I would highly suggest setting less aggressive goals. While eating at 1200 cals may be the "fastest" way to lose weight, it is also the easiest to get burnt out.
  • coral08
    coral08 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would love to join! I'm needing all the help I can get!!
  • susb
    Options
    I don't love oatmeal but I know it works on many different levels. I had one serving of old fashioned oatmeal for breakfast with cinnamon, Truvia and whipped butter.

It is one of my go to breakfasts that works and it produces a feeling of fullness that sticks with you.

Susan
  • queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I do:
    Breakfast 150 calories
    morning snack 100 calories
    lunch 150 calories
    afternoon snack 100 calories
    dinner: 500 calories
    beer or ice-cream 200 calories (I have at least one of them everyday)

My biggest problem when I started was that I wasn't eating enough protein so I would get really hungry. Greek yogurt changed my world, I eat it every day now and feel awesome. I have been at 1200 for five months now and after the first two it started to feel normal and I stopped feeling hungry.
  • susb
    Options
    I just ate a cup of grapes for a midmorning snack. This prevents me from getting overly hungry by noon. I will eat around noon. I did two miles. Have to get back to my writing! Yikes!