Oatmeal

Options
I am newly addicted to oatmeal. Okay, I'll admit, this isn't new by any means... but before it had sugar dinosaurs in it!

Recently I made it to college (Woo!) Okay, so snacks! What the heck, fitting in 3-4 snacks a day to stay on top of my meal plan?? That's a chore! Oatmeal has become my superhero, particularly in this cold weather.

The question then becomes: how do you eat oatmeal without sugar dinosaurs? Well, I've discovered the answer!

Firstly, ditch the microwave. Oatmeal tastes SO much better when cooked on the stove, and it only takes about 5 minutes. That's like 2 more minutes than in the microwave, so very doable!

Secondly, buy quality oatmeal. Normally I'm a make-your-own kind of gal, but when it comes to quick snacks I'll go for premixed. So what brands don't have added sugar? Personally I'm not a fan of the sweet taste, so I tend to use:
- Trader Joe's Super Seed Oatmeal
- Purely Elizabeth Original Ancient Grain Oatmeal

If you are craving that sweet taste, but are avoiding added sugars, try:
- Purely Elizabeth Cranberry Pumpkin Seed Ancient Grain Oatmeal

Lastly, skip the water. I like a decadent taste to my oatmeal, so I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. It makes it just a little creamier, gives it a tad of vanilla, and boosts the nutrition a little.

And a quick note: The serving size is 1/3 of a cup, but I have 1/2 of a cup for a little heartier of a snack. I am on a maintenance plan though, and I understand not everyone is, so that's up to you. 1/3 of a cup is 160 calories and about 6g protein I believe! The seeds and extra stuff in it add a little bit of (very healthy) fat, and the oatmeal is high fiber.

There we go! Substantial nutrition in a delicious manageable snack. Hope this helped someone :)

Replies

• rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I switched to the unsweetened almond milk too. I eat it only for breakfast but add walnuts, chia seeds and fresh berries.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I have another suggestion...steel cut oatmeal made in a rice cooker. I add chopped apples, reduced sugar dried cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon. Use the brown rice setting. You can portion it out into a mini muffin pan and freeze. Now, you have individual servings that heat up in two minutes.
  • sallymarcus413
    sallymarcus413 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed with oatmeal and have a few go-to oatmeal toppings.
    Try: dried unsweetened cherries, walnuts, and goji berries. Or fresh chopped ginger, brown sugar, and walnuts. Or, ginger, dates, and pecans.

I could eat oatmeal 3 times a day and be perfectly happy haha
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i sure wish we had a trader joe's around here! i would probably like the seed oatmeal you mention.
    I have another suggestion...steel cut oatmeal made in a rice cooker. I add chopped apples, reduced sugar dried cranberries, walnuts and cinnamon. Use the brown rice setting. You can portion it out into a mini muffin pan and freeze. Now, you have individual servings that heat up in two minutes.

sounds good, actually have all the ingredients you use.
    how much steel oats do you use for it to cook right on the brown rice setting??
    and do i still use the water/milk liquid amount on oat package?

am new to steel cut oats and trying to find an easy way to make them, yours sound easy!!
    i made overnight yogurt/milk oatmeal with them earlier this week and although i liked the taste of them, i did not enjoy the extra chewy texture it had..took forever to eat!!

• queenofpuppies
    queenofpuppies Posts: 189 Member
    Options

This is brilliant! I don't know how I never thought to put oatmeal in the rice cooker! And Freezing it?!?! HELLO! AMAZING!!
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My mom found my third grade diary that I had to keep for school and one of my assignments was to write about my weekend. It went something like "I woke up and had oatmeal for breakfast. I played outside on the swings. Then I had oatmeal for lunch. I did my chores. After I had oatmeal for dinner."

Needless to say, my love for oatmeal started young. (Dinosaur egg oatmeal is still delicious. Quaker came out with a new safari one that has the eggs that turn into animals, but it's strawberry flavored so I haven't tried it.)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    One I like occasionally is rolled oats (or steel cut) cooked in water with a splash of low sodium soy sauce and a good squirt of sirachi. Add a fried runny egg and a couple of cashews if you like.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love oatmeal pudding for breakfast w/ vanilla protein powder and pumpkin pie spice! For 4 servings: 1 cup oatmeal; 4 scoops vanilla protein powder; unsweetened almond milk until it is the thickness you like, cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice to taste. I use instant oatmeal, but I have used cooked high quality oatmeal.

I take this in my gym bag and eat for breakfast after work out!
  • NeonStrikeVi
    NeonStrikeVi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate cooking porridge (I'm from the UK) on the stove due to the fact it's a nightmare to clean... last time I tried it however I was living in student accommodation and even the basic of pans were considered a luxury ;) Nowadays, all in a Pyrex jug, stick it in the microwave and voila it's done. Whole milk all the way too for me!
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I make my oatmeal with soy milk, pb2, flax seed and add a banana.
  • Nnsando
    Nnsando Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've recently been eating oatmeal lately as well. I've been putting plain Greek yogurt in it. It makes it so creamy, very good texture and taste.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I like my oatmeal in the form of zoats...with zucchini. A can eat a serving size of oatmeal in like 3 bites. So unsatisfying.
  • LadyLots2Lose
    LadyLots2Lose Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love my oatmeal! In summer I have overnight oats with crushed pineapple, banana, chia and coconut milk, then I add shredded coconut for a bit of texture when I eat it. In winter I like it with dried apricots, chia, milk and flaked almonds. I don't add sugar though.
    I'm a bit curious about these dinosaur eggs and sugar dinosaurs a few of you have mentioned. I don't think we have them in Australia. Could someone please post a picture?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @queenofpuppies and @SylvieKuchma
    Here is my recipe:
    1 1/2cups steel cut oats
    3 cups water
    2 apples chopped
    1 cup milk
    1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
    1/2 cups dried cranberries
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 tsp cinnamon

I cook it on the brown rice setting. Some cookers have a porridge setting which works too. Spray a mini loaf pan with Pam to prevent sticking. Scoop portions into the pan. Freeze. I add a little extra milk and a touch of honey after I heat mine up.

zmso9zieg9ni.jpeg

• MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing your recipe debra, am going to try your recipe without the cinnamon tomorrow for sure :)
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I like my oatmeal in the form of zoats...with zucchini. A can eat a serving size of oatmeal in like 3 bites. So unsatisfying.

Yeah this... or with egg whites, or both. I need the end product to be at least one up of food lol
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    60nf1eu5xvp8.jpg
    Dinosaur egg oatmeal! It's made by Quaker.
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    half cup porridge oats,5g chia seeds,2 cups water.after cooking add 125g low fat cottage cheese=
    330 cal, 34g carb,9g fat,25g protein,9g fibre
  • FatCopThinCop
    FatCopThinCop Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me. Will be trying this tomorrow morning.

Thanks
  • Roony02
    Roony02 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate cooking porridge (I'm from the UK) on the stove due to the fact it's a nightmare to clean... last time I tried it however I was living in student accommodation and even the basic of pans were considered a luxury ;) Nowadays, all in a Pyrex jug, stick it in the microwave and voila it's done. Whole milk all the way too for me!

I'm with you on that one.

I often have mixed seeds, sultanans, honey or banana. Or for a treat a spoonful of lemon curd ;)