Newbie (2): TDEE Calculations and Other Deficit Questions

Options
Good morning, everyone.

I am noticing that many people here are asking others if they have done their TDEE calculations despite what MFP states as its calorie/macro calculations. Some advice has been given to use a percentage below one's TDEE for a more accurate deficit range. Some advice has been given to simply use the standard 500 or 1000 below TDEE (31%-40% below TDEE would be considered a large deficit for the percentage-based deficit theory)...different advice for different people in different situations.

So, here are more stats.

Starting weight = 252 lbs
Height = 5'3''
TDEE = 2252
Goal weight = 200 lbs (not my ideal weight, I know, but I wanted to start with a shorter term goal first)
Exercise Level = Sedentary (I want to get the intake portion of this on track before I start incorporating exercise)

Now, MFP has me set to 1270 calories/day, but I have the goal set to 2 lbs/week. I am not finding 1270 calories difficult to maintain so far (yes, I am logging accurately...weighing in grams, weighing everything, triple-checking database entries, etc.), but I do understand that may change when i start incorporating exercise.

So, with all of this said, do I need to stay at 1270 as MFP notes, or do I need to use a less aggressive percentage of my TDEE? I am just trying to figure out which is the best way to start off.

Thank you all for your advice!

Replies

• xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's really just trial and error... these are just starting points because everyone's metabolism is different, even for people of the same height, weight, age and gender.

If I were you, I wouldn't start with such low calories, because you have no room to go lower, and you increase your chance of failing and giving up because it's too restrictive. I suggest starting at -500 calories below your calculated TDEE: 2252-500=1752 and see how it goes after a week or two. You can always lower it later.

Just my worthless two cents.

Keep fighting!!
  • kyb5521
    kyb5521 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How do you calculate TDEE
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    You can google TDEE calculator. There are many out there and while they might not all give you the exact same number, they are usually in the same range. And like I said above, these are just starting points because everyone's metabolism is different, even for people of the same height, weight, age and gender.
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    i actually dont follow either to the T. I know the range for both. as explained on the boards.... TDEE has to be consistent with the amount of exercise you put in. here on mfp.... the calories of 1270 you should always eat + the exercise calories. so eat back exercise calories if you use mfp and DONT if you keep TDEE count but u must keep activity level
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Good morning, everyone.

I am noticing that many people here are asking others if they have done their TDEE calculations despite what MFP states as its calorie/macro calculations. Some advice has been given to use a percentage below one's TDEE for a more accurate deficit range. Some advice has been given to simply use the standard 500 or 1000 below TDEE (31%-40% below TDEE would be considered a large deficit for the percentage-based deficit theory)...different advice for different people in different situations.

So, here are more stats.

Starting weight = 252 lbs
    Height = 5'3''
    TDEE = 2252
    Goal weight = 200 lbs (not my ideal weight, I know, but I wanted to start with a shorter term goal first)
    Exercise Level = Sedentary (I want to get the intake portion of this on track before I start incorporating exercise)

Now, MFP has me set to 1270 calories/day, but I have the goal set to 2 lbs/week. I am not finding 1270 calories difficult to maintain so far (yes, I am logging accurately...weighing in grams, weighing everything, triple-checking database entries, etc.), but I do understand that may change when i start incorporating exercise.

So, with all of this said, do I need to stay at 1270 as MFP notes, or do I need to use a less aggressive percentage of my TDEE? I am just trying to figure out which is the best way to start off.

Thank you all for your advice!

what you have to understand is that there are two different methods here. TDEE and NEAT (MFP). MFP uses the NEAT method (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis) by which your calorie targets are derived as per your stats and activity level WITHOUT exercise...conversely, the TDEE method would include ALL activity, to include exercise activity. this is why you get calories to "eat back" with MFP...that is how you account for that activity.

done correctly and comparing apples to apples rate of loss goals, the two methods are 6 of 1...the only difference being where you account for exercise activity...in the front of the equation with TDEE and the back end with MFP (NEAT).

As an example, I have a TDEE of roughly 2800 calories. To lose about 1 Lb per week I can eat around 2300 calories. MFP will give me a calorie goal of around 1800 calories to lose about 1 Lb per week...but when I add my exercise in (average 500 calories per day throughout the week), that takes me to 1,800 + 500 = 2,300 to lose about 1 Lb per week.

See...6 of 1, half dozen of the other.
  • feraltydreaming
    feraltydreaming Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the clarification! This has been very enlightening information. I did not realize that MFP uses a different "formula" than TDEE. How exercise is accounted for and how the goals are derived makes sense now.