Effective exercises for weight gain?

i want to gain 2 stone. Please share any effective exercises I should add to my routine to gain weight

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Exercise doesn't make you gain weight, calories do. Lifting can make some of those gains to be muscle.
  • nikemic
    nikemic Posts: 16 Member
    I'm after an exercise for each muscle group that's heavy, intensive and effective
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    How long have you been lifting? What have you already done?
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Then eat at a surplus and get on a program that has progressively heavier compound lifts like SL5x5, ICF5x5, Wendler's 531, Cube method, etc.
    Main foundation lifts should be:
    Deadlifts
    Squats
    Bench
    Rows
    Overhead Press (military)

The foundation lifts give you the most bang for the buck. Still gotta eat at a surplus though…..
  • nikemic
    Overhead military press is one I'll definitely add, thank you. I've got the rest too. I started lifting 18 months ago when i was 17 stone and very fat/obese. Dropped a lot of weight and now I'm 12.5stone. I'm 6'4". I want to add mass but NOT fat
  • tayloralanj
    tayloralanj Posts: 137 Member
    Squats, deadlifts, multi-joint/muscle exercises.................
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    nikemic wrote: »
    Overhead military press is one I'll definitely add, thank you. I've got the rest too. I started lifting 18 months ago when i was 17 stone and very fat/obese. Dropped a lot of weight and now I'm 12.5stone. I'm 6'4". I want to add mass but NOT fat

Keep your rate of weight gain relatively conservative to minimize the gain of excess body fat. Shoot for no more than about 1kg/month.

Weight gain is not dependent on exercise type.

Make sure you are training your entire body somewhere around 2 to 3 times per week (so that each muscle group gets hit 2 to 3 times per week).
    Make sure you're getting in adequate training volume. 60-120 reps per bodypart per week is a big window but might be a reasonable approximation
    Make sure you are progressing each exercise.

Based on how the question is worded though, I'm going to assume you are designing your own program. I'd suggest you don't do that.
  • nikemic
    Thanks for all the great advice. Which program would you suggest for somebody my size to gain consistent muscle mass?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    There are tons of programs. Are you currently running a program? You say you've been lifting for the past 18 months, what type of lifting have you been doing?

If you've been lifting that long, there are a fair number of intermediate programs including PHAT, PHUL, Wendler's, Chris Gethin has several different programs. If you want to kill yourself, there's German volume training (ok, maybe not that bad, but it just sounds terrible). And I believe @JoRocka was doing a pretty intense program during this bulk.

I'm sure there are people with a ton more advice than me about specific programs.
  • nikemic
    My routine has been Day1: Legs/Cardio - Day2: Back/Bi - Day3: Chest/Tri - Day4: Shoulders/Abs. Training 4 times a week. Any plans out there that loosely fit in with my current structure?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    nikemic wrote: »
    My routine has been Day1: Legs/Cardio - Day2: Back/Bi - Day3: Chest/Tri - Day4: Shoulders/Abs. Training 4 times a week. Any plans out there that loosely fit in with my current structure?

5/3/1 is similar, if you want to keep the same split you are using.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2015
    German Volume Training for size gains, 531 for strength gains, or a PHAT routine for a combination of power/hypertrophy.

As for your mass... you gotta eat. +250-500kcal surplus per day will have you adding roughly between .5-1lb/week. Just eat, lift, drink water, and keep tabs on your calories in relation to your weight/body composition.

Good luck.
  • nikemic
    Thanks again for all the advise I'll check out all suggestions
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    edited November 2015
    auddii wrote: »
    There are tons of programs. Are you currently running a program? You say you've been lifting for the past 18 months, what type of lifting have you been doing?

If you've been lifting that long, there are a fair number of intermediate programs including PHAT, PHUL, Wendler's, Chris Gethin has several different programs. If you want to kill yourself, there's German volume training (ok, maybe not that bad, but it just sounds terrible). And I believe @JoRocka was doing a pretty intense program during this bulk.

I'm sure there are people with a ton more advice than me about specific programs.

Hey- dats me!

yes- I'm running Sheiko this season (Again) I love it- but it IS intensive- and you'll take a bit of beating. I personally like running Sheiko Beg 2 (nice ramp up) then run 37, 30 and 32 into a competition.

Anything German or Russian you're going to be working a lot of volume- and eating lots. I squat 4 times a week (M and F- and there are 2 different squat sessions per lift) and you bench every lift... there are only 2 or 3 accessories (good mornings, DB flies and like hanging leg raises)

edit- all of these means nothing if you aren't eating to support it.