I love Potatoes and all things Savory...

Options
Some people like sweet stuff, not me, I love savory and my weak point is potatoes. I will literally eat anything that has to do with a potato… Does anybody know of a potato substitute? What's everyone else is weakness?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    just eat potatoes?
  • poodledoodlepop
    poodledoodlepop Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love the advice but potatoes get me in trouble!! I'm wondering if there's some sort of potato substitute kind of like they have the peanut butter substitute
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes.

I still eat them, I just make sure that I'm combining them with lots of other things to bulk up my meal (green vegetables, protein, etc). I've had good results with using equal parts cauliflower to make a yummy mashed potatoes (simply cook the cauliflower in the last ten minutes with the potatoes and mash with them). This cuts the calories.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love the advice but potatoes get me in trouble!! I'm wondering if there's some sort of potato substitute kind of like they have the peanut butter substitute

In trouble how? You eat too much & then go over your deficit?

• justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes.

I still eat them, I just make sure that I'm combining them with lots of other things to bulk up my meal (green vegetables, protein, etc). I've had good results with using equal parts cauliflower to make a yummy mashed potatoes (simply cook the cauliflower in the last ten minutes with the potatoes and mash with them). This cuts the calories.

I do this exact same thing, which is very filling, easy and so tasty. There are also lots of recipes in which potatoes are a part, but not necessarily the star. Even a simple veggie soup with potatoes in it can really satisfy your craving for savory stuff. My favorite has potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions, broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes and dill. :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Well, this week i've made a bunch of roasted veggies.

Like: 1 sweet potato, 1 regular potato, a bunch of carrots, parsnips, beets, etc. They all have a pretty similar awesome texture when cooked and i enjoyed it. I guess that'd be a way to sub for it. Just eat them mixed in with lower calorie vegetables.

I've also seen people do mashed potatoes with 1/2 potato and 1/2 cauliflower.

The problem with your thought of "kind of like they have the peanut butter substitute" won't work because potatoes are made from carbohydrate.

The peanut butter substitutes only work because they remove the fat from the peanut butter. It removes like 80% of the calories because fat is 9 calories per gram.

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.

So->
    Potatoes- calories per gram 4 from carbs
    cant be substituted for any other macronutrient to make it less calories because
    protein is also 4 calories per gram
    fat is 9 calories per gram.
    There are only 3 macronutrients of food- protein, carbs, and fat.
  • poodledoodlepop
    Options

In trouble as in if I start eating potatoes I won't stop kind of thing. I was just being sarcastic about the trouble, comment. But I would love if they had some sort of substitute that wasn't as starchy and high in carbs and calories as a potato
  • poodledoodlepop
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Well, this week i've made a bunch of roasted veggies.

Like: 1 sweet potato, 1 regular potato, a bunch of carrots, parsnips, beets, etc. They all have a pretty similar awesome texture when cooked and i enjoyed it. I guess that'd be a way to sub for it. Just eat them mixed in with lower calorie vegetables.

I've also seen people do mashed potatoes with 1/2 potato and 1/2 cauliflower.

The problem with your thought of "kind of like they have the peanut butter substitute" won't work because potatoes are made from carbohydrate.

The peanut butter substitutes only work because they remove the fat from the peanut butter. It removes like 80% of the calories because fat is 9 calories per gram.

Carbs and protein are 4 calories per gram.

So->
    Potatoes- calories per gram 4 from carbs
    cant be substituted for any other macronutrient to make it less calories because
    protein is also 4 calories per gram
    fat is 9 calories per gram.
    There are only 3 macronutrients of food- protein, carbs, and fat.

Oh I like the idea with the Cauliflower!!! That is so great, I am definitely going to try that next time I tried making mashed potatoes. I see what you mean about the peanut butter it yes would be more difficult with potatoes if not impossible
  • janejellyroll
    Options

In trouble as in if I start eating potatoes I won't stop kind of thing. I was just being sarcastic about the trouble, comment. But I would love if they had some sort of substitute that wasn't as starchy and high in carbs and calories as a potato

Any sort of "substitute" probably isn't going to satisfy you like a potato would. The carbohydrates and calories are kinda what make a potato a potato.

Have you tried pre-portioning your foods? When I make something I know I like, I decide ahead of time how much I'm going to eat and then put the rest away before beginning my meal. This helps me stay on track.

• Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options

In trouble as in if I start eating potatoes I won't stop kind of thing.

An alcoholic knows to avoid alcohol. If you really can't stop, avoid potatoes. No semi potatoes, faux potatoes, or even small portions of potatoes.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    So let's say you took a baked potato and you topped it with some veggies and salsa or bacon and an egg or something.

Let's say that was 400 calories. What would happen then? You'd make a second potato? You'd head back to the cupboard for potato chips?

Here's why I'm saying it. For me, if it's French fries or some kind of cheesy potatoes, I'm with you about not stopping. But if I literally make 1 baked potato and I put a goodly amount of unsaturated fats and low fat proteins on it, I typically find that very satisfying potato-craving-wise. We're all different, though. So maybe that wouldn't work for you.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    So let's say you took a baked potato and you topped it with some veggies and salsa or bacon and an egg or something.

Let's say that was 400 calories. What would happen then? You'd make a second potato? You'd head back to the cupboard for potato chips?

Here's why I'm saying it. For me, if it's French fries or some kind of cheesy potatoes, I'm with you about not stopping. But if I literally make 1 baked potato and I put a goodly amount of unsaturated fats and low fat proteins on it, I typically find that very satisfying potato-craving-wise. We're all different, though. So maybe that wouldn't work for you.

This is a really good point. I find it REALLY difficult to stop eating french fries. But when I chop up a potato and put it in a brothy soup with other vegetables, I don't have the same problem. A big bowl of mashed potatoes leaves me wanting more. But a portion of mashed potatoes topped with a high-protein stew or curry is enough for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Mashed cauliflower is delicious but if you're looking for the same taste as potatoes, you're going to be very disappointed. Same for root vegetables as a whole (roasted or whatever).

Bake *one* small potato. It's going to take 45 minutes, and there'll only be one, so you won't be able to just go back for more. I love potatoes but it takes so long to make them that I don't have them that much.
  • RetroPolkaDot
    RetroPolkaDot Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes. I always say it's not the potato at fault but the toppings I could select for on top of the potato. The toppings can be troublesome because they can add up quickly. I rarely make mashed potatoes. I often have baked whole or oven baked potato wedges or boiled. I like making a whole dinner around a baked potato and top it with cooked veggies and protein. I keep my serving to one medium potato.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might try also changing your relationship with the potato so you enjoy it for all the good it does, but in proportion. Wolfing down five potatoes in a row is not that satisfying and comes with all sorts of undesired side effects.

BUT if you were to bake your one ideal potato, prepare the fixings measured out (careful of the cheese!), grill it till the cheese bubbles, instagram that perfect potato, then take apart that bad baby one bite at a time, savouring the texture and taste, smelling it, rolling it around on your tongue, observing how it feels as it enters your stomach, you will have anchored that memory of the perfect potato. It should take at least thirty minutes to consume the perfect potato. And one will be enough. Every time you prepare potatoes after that, the scent will take you back to that perfect moment.

That is how you love your potato. Within your calorie limits.

The problem with fries is we typically consume them in a rushed environment with all sorts of distractions like conversation, screaming children, cranky customers, or television. We maybe pay attention to one or two fries and the rest are eaten automatically with little enjoyment.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    So you love potatoes, and have the concern that when you indulge in them it is hard to eat a reasonable amount, making it difficult to work into your caloric budget.

Potatoes aren't all that good raw; you're making big batches at a time, more than one serving. Your trouble is portion control.

I do almost all my cooking in bulk, and i only cook things i'm really going to like. In the past, i'd cook up a pan full of food, fill my bowl, and enjoy it. Before too long, i'd be back at the pan for seconds that i didn't really need, but sounded good. Then i got fat.

Now i still cook in bulk, but before i eat, i portion the meals out, and throw them in the freezer. I'll only reserve one reasonable portion's worth.

Now that i've learned about portioning my food, it's a rather simply matter and not a struggle for willpower to resist that pot of delicious mashed potatoes starting at me as i go for another glass of water.

Also, you don't need to sub out foods you love entirely, instead you can enjoy them by complimenting them with something to bulk out the portion:
    • Mashed cauliflower is okay. Mashed cauliflower bulking out mashed potatoes is fantastic! You get a heap of potatoes at half the calories, and it is hard to tell the difference with a 1:1 ratio.
    • I like to oven roast potatoes, but now i add some zucchini or squash, and portion them out before eating.

Still eating tasty food in satisfying portions, all within my calorie budget. And feeling fitter and more in control each day.
  • brb2008
    brb2008 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

In trouble as in if I start eating potatoes I won't stop kind of thing.

An alcoholic knows to avoid alcohol. If you really can't stop, avoid potatoes. No semi potatoes, faux potatoes, or even small portions of potatoes.
    I feel I resonate with this reply the most. Pizza is a huge "trigger" type food for me. Its always been a gorge fest. Never in my life have I had just one slice. My partner and I have destroyed many a large pizza just the two of us! So for now while I feel like I'm still learning and deciding what my long term plan is, I am completely avoiding pizza. I tried a substitute last night though, pepperoni and cheese and pizza sauce on some chicken breast. It works.

I say try the 50/50 potatoes with cauliflower and see how you like it. Maybe it can replace potatoes for you for a little while until you feel more in control around them. I think real pizza is a long way off for me!
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I personally wouldn't stop eating them all together. Everything in moderation. Here are options that you could possibly try you:

- Don't buy them all together (if they aren't in the house you can't eat them)
    - Only make a small portion so that once it's done it's done
    - Use a smaller plate scoop out a bit of potatoes but make sure to add more vegetables and protein to your plate so that you don't rely solely on potatoes to help fill you up.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a substitute for potatoes in my book. I LOVE potatoes of every variety. I like them baked, fried, smothered, sautéed, boiled, roasted, etc, etc. You get the point. Like previously mentioned by others, I have opted not to eliminate foods I love. I just determine how much of it I can eat based on my available calories and savor every bite.

Also, for the record, PB2 is not a substitute for Jif Creamy Peanut Butter. ;)