help with grocery list :)

Options
So I am going grocery shopping tomorrow, and I need some recommendations on what to get for healthy snacks and dinners. I usually get lean cuisines but they are filled with sodium. I just would like some ideas, thanks!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
  • vinsmomma26
    vinsmomma26 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    thanks so much!
  • kendanault
    kendanault Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tend to shop in the veggie isle mostly!! Well, and chicken. I've challenged myself to buy 1 thing I haven't had before (small and cultural markets are great for this!) a week and watch a video on how to prepare it. My go mid day snack is a piece of toast, avocado (in place of butter) with chopped chicken breast and tomatoes... Mmm. Dinners consist of chicken, lots of veggies and a controlled portions of carbs - my favourite is whole grain brown rice. Good luck!!
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    thanks for your advice! I have a super old 1980s olive green fridge that freezes my veggies, im going to have to figure out a a way to them fresh. I eat alot of frozen veggies for that reason lol I eat tons of chicken..im going to add more nuts into my diet I think :) I love your idea to try something new every week, ill have to try that! thank you!!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about one bean/legume based slow cooker meal?

Try this.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463849447032/

For lower sodium I just added my own chilli powder and cumin.
  • vinsmomma26
    Options
    I'm not a sweet potato person, I wish I was, that looks delicious! is there anything else I could use in its place?
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    I'm not a sweet potato person, I wish I was, that looks delicious! is there anything else I could use in its place?

Pretty much any winter squash (I wouldn't try spaghetti squash, though), and most root vegetables (e.g., white potatoes, turnips, parsnips, carrots, even beets if you like) would keep you in the same ball park as the sweet potatoes, in terms of consistency and cooking methods.

More radical substitutions include dried apricots (probably in smaller amounts than the sweet potato), or fresh apples or jicama (add at the end -- I would just cook them long enough to heat through and stay crisp).
  • ddavenport63
    ddavenport63 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i am eating more fish and chicken, it is good for you as well as filling and easy to digest, salmon, bassa and frozen tuna steaks are yummy and easy to cook in a pan with a squeeze of lemon and so low in calories too
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    If you plan out your meals, you may find it easier to shop for the ingredients at once.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I hit the grocery store 2-3 times a week because I never know what the hell I'm going to want. I envy people who know on Sunday what they'll be eating on Thursday. I tried it, but I just didn't eat what I'd planned, lol. Didn't work for me.

If you figure out what you want to eat, it's much easier to make the list.
  • Queenmunchy
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I hit the grocery store 2-3 times a week because I never know what the hell I'm going to want. I envy people who know on Sunday what they'll be eating on Thursday. I tried it, but I just didn't eat what I'd planned, lol. Didn't work for me.

Most of my meals I cook and freeze in portions (I plan these before shopping), so I have a lot of things at my disposal and can pick if I want a burrito, stew, chili, meatballs, cacciatore, or whatever based on what I'm in the mood for. For dinners, though, we plan the actual days (sometimes we veer from it), but everyone has a say in what we're eating and we post it so we know what to do when we get home.

For example, I know this weekend I'm making a tofu curry and a white chicken chili to portion and add to my freezer stash.

I also know that dinners next week will be peppers and onions, eggplant parm, a thai curry beef, and spinach/kale enchiladas.

When I make my list, I write the meals I'm making at the top, then fill in the ingredients that I don't have.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I get the same things every time.
    Chicken breast, avocado, tomato, frozen veggie mixes, ground turkey, English muffin or flat bread, eggs,carrots, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, apples, bananas, spinach, red onion, garlic, cheese, hot sauce, ginger, soy sauce, tea. For fun I got frozen berries this week and occasionally I have peanut butter or make cabbage soup or sushi.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    So I am going grocery shopping tomorrow, and I need some recommendations on what to get for healthy snacks and dinners. I usually get lean cuisines but they are filled with sodium. I just would like some ideas, thanks!

I plan my meals before grocery shopping.
    I almost always get things like eggs, spinach, carrots, potatoes, onions, cheese, fruit, yogurt, popcorn, chicken, dry or canned beans, oatmeal, milk.
  • Kalikel
    Options

Most of my meals I cook and freeze in portions (I plan these before shopping), so I have a lot of things at my disposal and can pick if I want a burrito, stew, chili, meatballs, cacciatore, or whatever based on what I'm in the mood for. For dinners, though, we plan the actual days (sometimes we veer from it), but everyone has a say in what we're eating and we post it so we know what to do when we get home.

For example, I know this weekend I'm making a tofu curry and a white chicken chili to portion and add to my freezer stash.

I also know that dinners next week will be peppers and onions, eggplant parm, a thai curry beef, and spinach/kale enchiladas.

When I make my list, I write the meals I'm making at the top, then fill in the ingredients that I don't have.
    I just don't have the space to freeze all the things I'd like to freeze or I'd do more of it. That's an excellent way to go, IMO. I portion my frozen berries into Tupperware bowls. Between those, my frozen bags of veggies, some frozen meat and bread...there just isn't room. If I had a deep freezer, I'd do what you do, too. :)

• Queenmunchy
    Options

I just don't have the space to freeze all the things I'd like to freeze or I'd do more of it. That's an excellent way to go, IMO. I portion my frozen berries into Tupperware bowls. Between those, my frozen bags of veggies, some frozen meat and bread...there just isn't room. If I had a deep freezer, I'd do what you do, too. :)

My parents know how much I cook and freeze (it's been 8 years now) and they bought me a stand up freezer for my basement last Christmas. I stared at that freezer for days in awe, then quickly filled it up!

• Kalikel
    Options

My parents know how much I cook and freeze (it's been 8 years now) and they bought me a stand up freezer for my basement last Christmas. I stared at that freezer for days in awe, then quickly filled it up!
    I'm so very jealous. ;)

Lucky duck! You have good parents. :)
  • lizwooshy
    lizwooshy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ground turkey, frozen salmon, fresh or frozen broccoli, spinach, yogurt, cucumbers, carrots, peppers, tomatos, mushrooms, granola bars, hot sauce, chicken breast, skim milk, wheat bread, apples, blackberries, turkey lunch meat for the bf. These are pretty much my staples, with variations based on what is on sale/in season.

Also, I suggest keeping plenty of seasonings and spices, a few taco or fajita packages, olive oil, and some back up canned veggies on hand for quickness sake.